So I'm doing a summer of 9-5ing it with this business valuation firm.

My day involves a lot of numbers, a lot of organizing and a lot of work. When I get home I don't have the energy to play. Even after all of these years, I still can't tell if, when I'm tired, things sound bad because I'm too tired to appreciate them, or just too tired to make them sound good.

I had a buddy over tonight to jam, and we just kinda went through some Zep and then petered out.

I play football on Sundays and you never know what might happen on a Saturday...

Are there any 9-5ers out there that can give some pointers on how to get that energy up for weeknight jamming? Or any other tips on managing the week?

I'd like to keep my skills up, AND write some **** from time to time.
If I did it, this is how I did it.
I've never had time to practice these days either with university. Back in the day it was like 4 hours of scales and arpeggios a day. Now I don't have energy for that either, I'm just in the mood to jam.

Jam more often, that's all I can say. Make it routine. I dunno.
Do little bits and pieces of practice during Monday-Wednesday, but on Thursday do a hefty amount. It's a good time to do a large amount of practice because it gives it time to sink in, and it's close enough to the weekend for you to not forget and lose what you achieved. That's just one tip.

And yea, regular weekend jamming is also a good idea. Try to get one every 2 weeks or so, or every week if you're gigging and/or recording. Have decent-sized jams too, somewhere in the region of 4-5 hours. With breaks of course
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Jun 5, 2008,
Explore a new genre maybe? Try find some stuff you like which is a bit different. I always find new music really inspiring. I don't work 9-5 but I do school 8.30-4?
Just try to play whenever you get a chance. Also I find it helps to get myself sort of psyched up to play, by listening to some good music that I want to play or something. Also take some B vitamins, they make a world of difference. I usually take them before work so I can stay awake at work. You could get 3 hours of sleep, take one of these and feel like you got 10 hours.
Do little bits and pieces of practice during Monday-Wednesday, but on Thursday do a hefty amount. It's a good time to do a large amount of practice because it gives it time to sink in, and it's close enough to the weekend for you to not forget and lose what you achieved.

That's a thoughtful tip. Thanks.

Also take some B vitamins, they make a world of difference.

Really?
http://www.trivita.com/2006/shop/productdetail.aspx?pid=175

This is what I take, and they really do give you a lot more energy. Not like a hyped up on energy drinks, and caffeine kind of energy. But like you've had a really good full nights sleep kind of energy.

You could probably find some other types of B vitamins at a health store, since I think you need to order these online. But I would strongly recommend those.
Last edited by TNA at Jun 5, 2008,
you just need to find your passion in music that you had before and re-explore that area. Its more like you need to find what it is that makes music your realease and relaxation, the thing you love to do after working the **** trenches all day.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
i change my sleep schedule so i practice when i wake up, even thought it may mean getting up at like 5 and going to bed a lot earlier, i find i have my motivation and can practice, then go to work, be tired, come home, and crash
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I am working for my local water company 7-3:30 five days a week this summer, and I'm really tired most of the time too. I'm still in wind-down mode from university though, so I think sometime in june I'll get back into serious heavy duty working. All I've been doing lately is learning tunes and soloing over jazz recordings.
i don't know what to tell you. i always have time to play for at least 30 or 45 minutes a day. yesterday i was BEAT when i got home, i'd only gotten about 2 hours of sleep the night before. but i still managed to play for about an hour when i got home. i think it's all about how much you want to.
I work 45 hours a week and drive almost an hour each way to get to work. I wake up at 5:00am and get home at like 5:30. I work out 3-4 times a week for 45 min or an hour and also im restoring a home i bought last year that i now live in. . I have a gf and a dog that live with me and take lots of my time.

Ive been working this way for 6 years. At first it was tuff but over time it gets easier and you accept the schedule. If your running out of energy i suggest working out in the morning. If your not into wieghts try running or cycling or something. It will make you feel energized after you do it for a few weeks and make sure you eat all the things your body needs. Nutrition is overlooked by many but lack of essential nutrients can make you tired and depressed. Read the book "the food cure".

Dont let this get you down just eat good and excersize. If you do you'll notice a difference in your attitude energy level and playing in a week or 2. I still find time almost every day for at least 1 hour. I feel like I wish i had time to play all week so when i get to at night and on the weekend i enjoy it and never want to stop.

Good luck man. Embrace your crazy life dont let it get you down let it make you feel like your living.
Quote by NByz
So I'm doing a summer of 9-5ing it with this business valuation firm....

Oh man, how old are you? Since this is a summer thing, I assume not too old....

I've been working like 30 years now. Better get used to it. That'll probably end
up being how most of your life goes (unless you get rich quick). As you get older,
the energy can also get harder to come by. It sure doesn't get easier...

So, what I found is, you don't let the time to do things you want happen, you MAKE
the time to do things -- if you want to do them. For the last 20 years or so I made
it a habit to go to the gym every work day at lunch. I had to give up some stuff to
do that and some days it sure sucked, but being at a sedentary desk job I felt
like I had to do something (I've actually taken a break from this for a few months
because I was getting sick of it, but I'll start again).

Same with guitar. I get in a bit eariler, have a guitar at the office and get some
practice in. Later after work, I usually have a few free hours, I can get another
hour or so in if I want....
^ You sound like me edg.
Another tip if you have trouble waking up early to work out or get strated with your day is to move your alarm clock away from the side of your bed to the opposite side of the bedroom where you cant reach. You cant hit the snooze it will force you out of bed. Once your feet are on the floor your all set to wake up. Works for me.
LOL yeah. I get up at 5:00 too. It's getting harder to do. I was actually going to
semi-retire and maybe try and teach guitar, but I got a job offer right in my home
town. 5 minute commute was too good to pass up

I can't complain at all. I had really really really good jobs. Dream jobs for some
people really. But, spending most of your life working at anything gets tiring after
a while just chained to the same routine.
Quote by NByz
So I'm doing a summer of 9-5ing it with this business valuation firm.

My day involves a lot of numbers, a lot of organizing and a lot of work. When I get home I don't have the energy to play. Even after all of these years, I still can't tell if, when I'm tired, things sound bad because I'm too tired to appreciate them, or just too tired to make them sound good.

I had a buddy over tonight to jam, and we just kinda went through some Zep and then petered out.

I play football on Sundays and you never know what might happen on a Saturday...

Are there any 9-5ers out there that can give some pointers on how to get that energy up for weeknight jamming? Or any other tips on managing the week?

I'd like to keep my skills up, AND write some **** from time to time.

It's a matter of focus.

You work for 8 hours, commute for maybe 2, and then you have food to look after - about another hour. You should still have around 5 hours to play in. It's matter of getting rid of the stuff that gets in the way (for example, talking with friends for 10 minutes and then having a cup of tea every hour).

I'm working a 6 day week 9-5ish and i'm still getting in between 2 and 3 hours every day, and if i'm having a good day composing or whatever then it'll push up to 4.

Hell, last coupla days the girlfriends been ill and i've still done 2 hours. I'm not amazing or anything, just figger out where your time is going and stop the gap.
get rid of the crap that doesn't contribute to your becoming a better person and guitarist. this usually means stop watching tv just b/c it's on.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
i work 8-6 and i still manage to fit it in
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Take a break from it for a bit and come back to it with all of the enthusiasm in the world.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Are you leading a good healthy lifestyle? If not, get yourself in shape. At first you may think you're investing time in something totally outside the music realm, but you'll be glad you did. Work out a little, go running in the morning or something. Cut out any substance dependencies, (don't take that energy boosting crap) and get energized the right way. You shouldn't be that worn out after a 9-5 job unless you're working construction or something really physical.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
Good advice by all.

I guess my biggest problem is not finding the time as much as it is finding the enjoyment of it after a day of work.

It's like after a day of 'right-brain' (or is it left brain....?) number crunching, the other side is either underused or de-blood-ified or something.

I hear a lot above about health and nutrition. Sounds like sage wisdom, for sure.

I will stop drinking when I'm out of college, I say... one more semester.

Now it's time to play...
^ can i suggest that you spend more time composing? There'll be a dry patch but it's when an idea hits you and grabs you you'll stay up all night playing and having fun. Lots of guitarists think they "play" but they just run through patterns and materials that bore them. Learn to push your way to creative freedom through the mire of repetition!