i have a $500 les paul and a $100 squire bullet. and for some reason the bullet sounds better than the les paul. the tone seems alot fuller and nicer. so why is this?
you probably just like strat tone better than lp tone. So maybe sell the lp and buy a better model strat
That could be plenty of things.

1.) Amp

2.) Pickups

3.) Preference

4.) Quality

As far as quality goes, both of those guitars probably suck. A good Les Paul is usually closer to $1,000 unless you get a deal, or you heavily mod a decent one. If you like Fender tone better, go ahead and do what he said and get yourself a better one.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Uh... Pwned?

See if any of the hardware in the LP is faulty, or in some way 'inferior' to that of the Squire.

If everything seems fine, take the advice from these guys and sell the LP for a better strat since you probably like the strat's tone better.
Last edited by AA00P at Jun 5, 2008,
the pick ups might be to far from the strings. In my opinion the pickups should be as close as possible without touching, even when you strum.
I love my bullet tone too.
It has a SD Invader in bridge position tho.
But the single coils sound pretty good with cleans too.
The only thing that could be better about it is a faster neck.
Otherwise that guitar rocks if you mod it just a little bit.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
What kind of music are you playing...

Les Pauls sound typically darker that stats...

The single coils add brightness....

Hendrix and SRV type stuff just doesnt sound the same on a les paul..
A light guitar with single coils sings it...

Amp..amount of reverb..types of effects...type of music...playing style..
all of these things are possibilities...

I have a squire myself..l really like it..i really missed having single coils
but i didnt want to invest a whole lot of money. When the noise gate
is on..it can really sound decent with the pickup selector in an odd position..(1,3,and 5)
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
its becasue squires arent as bad as guitars as people say.........stop hating on the squires!!!!!!!!!
May I ask, what brand and model LP is it? Gibson, Epiphone or another brand? Also, the model of the LP, like a Standard or Custom...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
You might just like the Squier tone better. Les Pauls usually have a really distinctive sound, some people don't like it.
Even if the Les Paul isn't top notch though, that doesn't mean its a crappy guitar, I've got a Les Paul Studio by Epiphone and I've gotten tons of comments on how good it sounds, but I also adjusted my pickups on it...try adjusting the strings and the pickups on the Les Paul, or get somebody to, and see if that makes a difference.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
Maybe your Les Paul is mad at you for owning a Squier Bullet..

Nah, maybe you just like the sound better, maybe the LP has faulty hardware. But most likely you like the tone better.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Nike-Man
the pick ups might be to far from the strings. In my opinion the pickups should be as close as possible without touching, even when you strum.

Well aren't you clever . You must have no dynamics then...

TS: If you like the bullet, the immediate thought is to sell both and purchase a fender strat. However, try out as many guitars as you can and find one you love
Quote by supergerbil
Well aren't you clever . You must have no dynamics then...

TS: If you like the bullet, the immediate thought is to sell both and purchase a fender strat. However, try out as many guitars as you can and find one you love

http://www.synapticsystems.com/studios/evans/height.htm

This is wat I was trying to say. If you still think you are hot ****, I don't know what to tell ya
Quote by Nike-Man
http://www.synapticsystems.com/studios/evans/height.htm

This is wat I was trying to say. If you still think you are hot ****, I don't know what to tell ya

The pickups in those pics don't have pole pieces, like lace sensors or emgs. Therefore the pickup height is really irrelavent. But with traditional pickups this is not the case.
And in that page he said note how close they are, not as close as possible.

TS: sorry for arguing in your thread, but yeah just try out as many guitars as you can (make sure you try a strat). And don't forget about amps either