Hey thar.

For English class this term, the task is to convert a piece of given prose into a stage script.
In doing this, it is required to add stage directions, dialogue, and such. Creativity, and intelligent manipulation of the prose boosts the overall grade.

I was just wondering, has anyone had to do this before?
If so, can you think of any conventions in which you had to focus in order to get a better grade? I have already listed grammar, punctuation, etc. but am wondering if you can think of any more?

Gracias.
Last edited by lotsofvolume at Jun 5, 2008,
That's very cool.

Only thing I can think of for help is read it out loud, to your self, and it will help with flow. Even while writing, just talk it out like you want it to be said. And after, ask someone else to read it out loud so you know there is zero mistakes in the script.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
That's very cool.

Only thing I can think of for help is read it out loud, to your self, and it will help with flow. Even while writing, just talk it out like you want it to be said. And after, ask someone else to read it out loud so you know there is zero mistakes in the script.

Thanks for the ideas man.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks again.
I've actually written a fair few scripts, so here are my tips:

- make sure you describe the character's actions, and use the actions to help tell the story, don't explicitly state what a character is thinking or feeling etc, everything should be visual

- I don't know if this applies but normally formatting is very important in scripts, you can find formatting guides on the interweb, try Google

- the quality of dialogue is also very important, but because you're adapting a piece of prose that might not be an issue for you

- write in present tense

- this may also not apply, but asides from dialogue, you should include some sounds to create a soundscape for your script

- don't write in big blocks of text, make the script flow by using short, snappy sentences

- normally a minimal amount of description is needed for characters and settings, just enough to give a rough idea

- as a general (but flawed) rule, 1 page in size 12 Courier New = 1 minute

Only some of those may be relevant, but I hope a few help.
My english teacher says originality helps alot. When someone has to mark a hundred scripts, and one of them really stands out, they will get more marks.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
johnnypark30, and Hand of Blood, thanks heaps!

I'll keep everything in mind that you've said. Thanks again.
Last edited by lotsofvolume at Jun 5, 2008,