Alright well I want to just say my last two weeks have been completely horrible. I haven't been practicing as well as I usually do. I usually would practice hours a day now its like one or two if I'm lucky.

All I have been thinking about is how crappy I am at guitar. I try not to think about this but lately its just been all thats on my mind and its interfering with my playing. I have been relying on tabs too much and all my friends can play songs by ear but I can't.. I tried and I can only figure some easy songs with powerchords but not the solos which is really iritating. I know I've only been playing 6 months but I see kids that play for like a year and a half and can do children of bodom songs! And I always think to myself "How the heck did he learn so quickly!" Every time I pick up my guitar and think about it, and I'll just become instantly frustrated.

I know like basically no scales, just some major scales, and pentatonics and one blues scale. I always focus more on wanting to learn songs because my friends know so many songs, and I want to be able to play the crazy stuff they can! My knowledge with chords is actually pretty good though. I know a lot of my opens, and barre chords. I cant really play fast probably the best solo I know so far is Back in Black but I mess it up sometimes still.

What would you guys expect a guitarist thats been playing for 1 year to know? As for like theory wise, scales, chords and what not.

And can anyone give me tips/excercises to help me with ear training and speed? I really don't like posting asking so many questions, and complaining but I am completely frustrated, and confused. My friends always bother me with how much I suck at guitar. Like if I learned something new and showed them the riff or something they would just say something like "Dude thats so beginner, haha"! They don't like to help me out that much either because they wanna focus on their own playing. I don't know what I am doing wrong with my playing but I just need some guidance and advice and I cant take lessons because I am going to be working 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week starting July. Which will also mess up my playing time.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Last edited by Kash1333 at Jun 5, 2008,
Dude, ive been playing on and off for maybe 6 years and I know maybe 8 scales, so your not alone :P. But, Im just playing to have fun and if you play enough sooner or later you will get the feeling of soloing by ear even without scales. I think scales and exercises are so fkin boring so i just learn songs all the time. Sure it might take some more time and i wont be a Satriani for a while, but hey, Im having great fun. So I suggest that you dont think so much about it and just play what you like to play, but also be sure to step it up sometimes so that you dont get stuck in green day songs, try to pick some harder each time and then eventually you will gain speed automatically. This is my opinion.
Oh boy, that's a feeling I know well. I seem to have been playing for ages, but just seem to be rubbish. I had stopped playing for a while due to failure to progress, then started again about 2 years ago and bought a new guitar back in Jan 2007. Since then I am hardly impressed by my progress, despite practicing loads and trying really hard to improve my technical ability.

At this stage, I can play almost no songs (about three pretty badly, but that's it). Almost all songs seem to have fast bits that are impossible or very complex rhythms. I've started having lessons - I have at least managed to learn the pentatonic shapes and a couple of the major scale shapes. However, my teacher seems to be concentrating on improvisation. I don't feel he is at this stage concerned with my technical issues and my seemingly poor sense of rhythm.

From what I can tell, some guitarists get no further than the beginning stage while others seem to be able to develop the facility to play amazing stuff. How you get from the first to the latter, I've no idea... it doesn't seem to be terribly well documented on the Web. I see lots of sites with lessons for beginners and lots of sites with technical stuff for those with great skills, and nothing really in between to get you from the first to the latter.
Dude, your doing fine. My advice to you might sound crazy, but i think you should consider giving guitar playing a break- just for one or two days -and then go back to it. Your playing will be so much fresher. And if it helps i didn't know **** after a year
Patience man. You really shouldn't be worrying about your friends being able to do Children of Bodom songs. If you have played only like 6 months you shouldn't concentrate on speed yet. Learn some of basic theory about chords and their formations, modes and scales. Try not to compare your skills to your friends skills. Keep training at your own level and enjoy the improvement of your skills. 1-2 hours a day is really enough practise to get some results. Glad if you have even that much time.

A good way for ear training is to play along with records.
Here's where your problem is:

My friends
My friends
My friends.

You're trying to be like your friends too much. Some people (such as your friends) may learn guitar easier than others (you). Be satisfied with what you can play. Learn at your own pace. I've been playing for two years and just learnt the major scale the other week. Why? Well. Why do I need to do scales? I'm quite satisfied with how I play, and what I play. Sure, there's others better than me. Congrats to them.

If your friends constantly tell you you're bad at guitar I'd consider disputing whether they're actually your friends.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
To hell with what anyone else can play. I always split up my practice time. Half for scales/theory and have to learn tunes I want to play.

Guitar is about having fun. Have some fun with it dude.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by insanitybreed
Dude, your doing fine. My advice to you might sound crazy, but i think you should consider giving guitar playing a break- just for one or two days -and then go back to it. Your playing will be so much fresher. And if it helps i didn't know **** after a year

Well the thing is I was in a cast for fracturing my forearm after just like 3 months of playing the guitar and I couldn't play guitar properly for the next 2 months cause of wearing the cast and its really messed me up because I couldn't play. So I never try to take breaks at all now to catch up for all the time I've missed..

But should I still really take a break? I guess it probably would refresh me a bit and make all the headaches go away for a little while.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Quote by mogar
To hell with what anyone else can play. I always split up my practice time. Half for scales/theory and have to learn tunes I want to play.

Guitar is about having fun. Have some fun with it dude.

Yeah I actually just talked to a few people and they told me making a Schedule for my everyday guitar playing would help me greatly..

By the way I like your cover of Winter Madness a lot. Thats the stuff I would kill to play.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Bitchslap your friends. They're being irritating- each guitarist to his own. Everybody has their own styles of playing. I have a friend who's this incredible shred guitarist, very advanced in theory, who's been playing for a few years longer than me and is WAY better than me...and then, there's my first guitar teacher who's been playing for DECADES longer than me, and I know more about theory and know more scales and can play faster than him, etc.

It's all styles and paces- if you rush it, it will stop being fun for you...Just have fun, don't think about what you should and shouldn't do.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
This much actually marks a complete year of rededication to playing for me after an 11 year break. Compairing myself to were I was to today I can say I've made some progress. I'm still not anywhere close to be where I want to be. I also have a couple friends who play guitar, one who is an ace and the other, while the other is not an ace can comfortably sit in an odd arangment of strangers and jam. I feel I'm a couple of years away from that level of playing. But no matter, I'm still having fun and I'm more dedicated than ever to learning. I would say keep practicing and also push yourself to learn new things. Eventually it will come together for you.
i`m the same as you kash i feel somedays i`m not getting anywhere , the only difference is i don`t have friends who play , the way i look at it is each time i play there`s always an improvement no matter how small ; i`ve been playing for about a month now and when i first started a "d" chord was impossible but last night i played an "f" chord with no buzzing frets , only once admittedly but if i can do it once i can do it again , and by the way all i can do is a few chords a couple of riffs bits of some scale and no songs but one day i will
Quote by Kash1333
Well the thing is I was in a cast for fracturing my forearm after just like 3 months of playing the guitar and I couldn't play guitar properly for the next 2 months cause of wearing the cast and its really messed me up because I couldn't play. So I never try to take breaks at all now to catch up for all the time I've missed..

But should I still really take a break? I guess it probably would refresh me a bit and make all the headaches go away for a little while.

Well, consider mountain biking. Show me a racer who trains their ass off riding all winter and I'll show you somebody who will retire by May of that year. It's called burnout.

Consider lifting weights. Show me somebody who lifts their ass off and exercises everything every day and I'll show you somebody who isn't nearly as big and strong as they ought to be.

It does no good to beat yourself into the ground over it.
I would say that after one year of working at it, you should be able to play a major scale and minor scale and not just using one string, but by being able to take your time and play the scale through two octaves up and down the strings. Also, know which chords in a key are minor and which ones are major, not through memorization, but by knowing the second note is a minor chord and why and so on for all the other notes of the scales.

Along with that your technique should be coming along and you should just work on playing what you want to play and finding your style. If your working hard at it, you're doing good.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
They don't sound like your friends, just assholes who have to put others down to feel better about themselves.
Just have some patience, and have fun. Don't get all stressed out by not being able to do technical stuff. Those things come with time.
And even if you work 5 days a week, you could still have weekly lessons on one of the 2 days you don't work. Lessons would help you out tons, because there's someone to explain it to you.
ive been playing for 5 moths and know one song and parts of 5 more i know two scales 5 chords i can do power chords but i find it hard to change strings when using three fingerd power chords

thats all ive learnt in 5 months
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
i have that problem to, but thats because im not allowed to play guitar cuz my grades suck right now.
if you cant play a part of a song try playing a tiny section until you get it perfect, then do that with different sections of the song and add it together. then when you can play some awesome song perfect, rub it in those dillweeds faces!
well the first thing you should do, is kick each of your friends in the nuts,

sorry to be blunt but: they're assholes,

learn at your own speed, and ask them how well they can play children of bodom while doubled-over from dick-kick pain,

seriously though, guitar is about you, play at your speed, and what you want to, dont forget why you play guitar, to have fun, if youre not having fun, youre doing it wrong
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Another thing you should do is find a band to play in. It could help you A LOT, it's really cool and fun to play in a band and you also must practice songs to play with others. If you find real cool people to do a band with, then you'll improve quicker and you'll feel better and actually you can impress your friends too if it matters to you so much.
Solution: Don't give a **** what they think. I play guitar because I want to. If people are impressed by my playing, good for them (though I've only been playing electric 6 months, and acoustic for 6 months before that, so I'd get them to a drug test if they thought I was good :P ). If they tell me I suck, I say I'm still learning and then proceed into not giving a ****. It works quite well.

Moral of the story: don't give up.
right second comment from me woo im on fire!!

Look man dont give ****s about your friends!!! it does nothing for you!!! For me when i had your problem is all my friends could play like master and hanger 18 etc etc and all i could manage was Come As You Are !!! all you gotta do is just take that out of your mind!! thats what i did!! and almost as good as them!!! mastered the one solo today jst sit down man and play play play till your fingers bleed!! constantly go over the blues scale and all the scales you know !! doesnt matter how many or few you have!!! jst practise them so you can play them with no effort at all!!!

Yes it will take time but it will be worth it!!! If you just practise not worrying about your friends!!! I gaurentee you , you will look back to this day 6 months on or even less and go wow Im alot better now than i was then!!!

One tip!! record yourself playing!! for instance i played the blues riff for hours on end!! boring I no but well worth it!! i recorded myself!!! ok i sound ok at it!!! keep doing the riff and then record yourself playeing the riff again a week later or 2!! it could be any riff!! Could be your Back in Black solo you were on about!!! then compare the both recordings!! You will have improved on areas you thought you couldnt cus you just simplty played it and thats all!!!

I know Ive rambled on alot but im jst trying to give you help in short easy ways!! may seem long to read but seeing your reading this part i take it you liekd it

**** your friends and play!! i dont mean literly **** jst like ignore them and play what you can and slowly try new things!! new solos from different songs new riffs etc etc!!!

Best aluck bro