Okay, I know you're all sick to death of the anchoring buisness but nevermind

I've been trying to kick the anchoring habit for about a week now and I'm finding it really difficult. I havn't been playing too long seriously and didn't touch a metronome until a year ago ,however I use to be able to play semi-quavers at 130bpm without too much trouble. Now, with the new 'floating' hand technique, I struggle to slop my way through 100bpm.

I'm just wondering how long did it take you guys who went through the same process for it to feel natural and for it to advance on your old technique?
It seems like it's never going to get better for me

Cheers, Josh.
Last edited by Jaudio-stang at Jun 5, 2008,
It's not really bad to Anchor, think about all the awesome players who do it...

But, you will always land into a rut like this, I had one where I couldn't down pick just 1 fret on a string past 260 BPM. I had to fret others or go to other strings to go faster.

But it will go away eventually. The best way for that is to do something else for a few days and then go back to trying that and it will be solved normally.
Yeah, I know some great players anchor.
But I was coming aware that when I was anchoring, I was getting all kinds of tension.
Tension=bad, it just doesn't work for me.
So I'm working to get rid of it. Thankyou for the reply anyway.
Josh.

EDIT: PS, don't let this start into a opinion war on anchoring.
Last edited by Jaudio-stang at Jun 5, 2008,
It took me about 6 months to move from zero bpm unanchored to about 120bpm. About 2 years later (and not too much serious practice), I'm at about 150, 160 with licks i know i couldn't have played with my old style.
Quote by edg
I'd say it took me at least 6 months of concerted, I'm going to get this if it's
the last thing I ever do, effort to get it to feel as comfortable as before. The
benefits are pretty clear.

So, 1 week isn't all that long.

In those six months, what sort of things did you do to practice it?

My playing feels so tentative right now using this technique, but it is certainly easier than the thumb motion I had going before. If I play for a long time my wrist can be a bit tired/sore, so I may be overdoing it at this point.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Around 4 months, most of the time I was really upset and thought I would never get it right, but I just stuck to it and took it slow and it clicked.