An idea came to me and i thought instead of buying a tube amp(i will probably buy randall rg50tc in future) why dont i buy a processor and a **** amp to get any sound i want? how is this idea i play at home so would it be better?
It works for playing by yourself, I guess. You could also use the processor with headphones, which is a plus.
but wouldnt the amp be just used for just giving sound? does a guitar and amp differ a lot with processors?
A friend of mine used to use a Korg AX3000g plugged into the Speaker Input of his Fender Frontman 212.

Still sounded rather crappy though.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
A friend of mine used to use a Korg AX3000g plugged into the Speaker Input of his Fender Frontman 212.

Should have told him to use it through the "effects return" or "power amp in" jacks (whichever the amp had). Would've bypassed the crappy preamp and used the Korg as the preamp.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Nah, i wouldn't. But that's just me.

I find that processors (despite however much advertising they do to tell otherwise) all sound very digital and too compressed.

Just try it, and see what you like though. I've got a tube amp (and don't use any effects), my mate has a Valvestate and a GT-8 and my tone is (IMO, and most who have heard the two) is far nicer.
Adam
Quote by blind.quardian
An idea came to me and i thought instead of buying a tube amp(i will probably buy randall rg50tc in future) why dont i buy a processor and a **** amp to get any sound i want? how is this idea i play at home so would it be better?

Yeah, this will work. If going the amp route be sure to get one that has an effects loop so you can plug the processor straight into the effects return and bypass the amp's preamp. Also realize that the amp's channel switching and all the tone and volume controls will be bypassed on the amp. You will be using the amp as a powered cabinet. You can also buy powered cabinets for this exact purpose, but they are typically a lot more expensive than a solid state combo amp.
Quote by jxljxl

My mate uses this setup but the 112 version and he gets a pretty good tone.
Mind you he's spent hours tweaking it and knows exactly how to dial in amps and effects to work together.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If used strictly for bedroom, processors can be great. I own a Vox Tonelab LE which is just for in my room, and i can get great tones that you can get in your room - either valve amps are too loud or SS amps just dont quite get there (The Tonelab LE sounds A LOT better than a Valvetronix AD50VT, i had one!)

I plug the Tonelab into my valve amp and can get some great and fairly convincing valve tones - and although they are clearly nothing like it, i will challenge anyone to get such a great and versatile sound at a bedroom volume for that price. IMO these things sound best through keyboard amps, which lucky for you are cheap. I know someone who uses a tonelab through a Laney 50w keyboard amp and his tone is amazing (a lot of it obviously down to the fact he is a fantastic guitar player)

I say if you are only playing in your room, it is the best solution. I swear by it, but at the same time when the amp leaves the room, the tonelab stays there, because i wouldnt play one of these at a gig. Im a guitar to wah to amp kinda guy, and the tone of a decent valve amp in my opinion cant be matched. But for bedroom use, the Tonelab is amazing, and the best of the processors in its price range (Boss's COSM technology sounds too digital to me, but i havent tried the GT-8 or 10)
Yup like Slash fan, if you want to use a modeller, use it with a Keyboard amp. Or another uncoloured amp.
A crappy guitar amp will be pointless, and the keyboard or uncoloured amp will be cheap.

Problem now is finding a good modeller haha. I havent heard it yet, but people say Tonelab is good. Iv got a thread going now to find out if it can sound like a real fender tube amp (ala Blues Junior)
Quote by Kabeern
Yup like Slash fan, if you want to use a modeller, use it with a Keyboard amp. Or another uncoloured amp.
A crappy guitar amp will be pointless, and the keyboard or uncoloured amp will be cheap.

Problem now is finding a good modeller haha. I havent heard it yet, but people say Tonelab is good. Iv got a thread going now to find out if it can sound like a real fender tube amp (ala Blues Junior)

not only are keyboard amps cheaper, they will sound better with a modeller. Luckily i have dialed my laney amp so that it sounds pretty good with the Vox (some amps just take to them) and although i know that i would get a better sound with a keyboard amp, the sound is certainly good enough for my bedroom

I think the Tonelab LE is excellent, has a certain warmth over the others. IMO it sounds the most natural, but it all depends what kind of sound you are after. I would not get the Tonlebab LE for metal for example.
I would go for the processor for bedroom playing cause i heard that tube amps need like what half the volume to sound good? Besides, my pod xt live sounds kickass... (yes it does sound a bit digitalized) but its a way cheaper alternative until I buy the tube amp that is
Quote by OhSoInsane
I would go for the processor for bedroom playing cause i heard that tube amps need like what half the volume to sound good?

This isn't true for A LOT of tube amps.

I personally think a modeler would be something cool to have for practice, but kinda pointless since a good one costs quite a bit of money, which I'd rather spend on a good amp or something else more useful down the road.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
This isn't true for A LOT of tube amps.

I personally think a modeler would be something cool to have for practice, but kinda pointless since a good one costs quite a bit of money, which I'd rather spend on a good amp or something else more useful down the road.

definately a good point worth considering

I use my tonelab with my valve amp because it cant be cranked at bedroom volumes, so my "bedroom rig" only cost me the price of the pedal, but if you were to buy everything specifically for bedroom use the price would start rising. there are amps out there that can sound good at bedroom volumes (i heard engl's do)

it all depends on whether you have gigging aspirations. Not to say the Vox couldnt handle a gig, but a valve amp would just sound more natural