is there actually any point to having a strange shapped guitar, from a sound point of view? or is it just a statement of how much you can spend on strange things? i know that a les paul sounds different to a strat, but is that due to the shape, or the wiering & pic-ups etc.

Pacman guitar
http://photobucket.com/image/weird%20guitar/sacredpigeon/Weird%20Guitars/pacmanguitar-1.jpg

NES guitar
http://photobucket.com/image/weird%20guitar/sacredpigeon/Weird%20Guitars/nesguitar-1.jpg

Satan guitar
http://photobucket.com/image/weird%20guitar/sacredpigeon/Weird%20Guitars/satanguitar.jpg
That Satan guitar is awesome. They're good for shows, not studio work.
god damn it, photobucket is blocked at my school. i can't see them. they sound cool
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Well, actually believe it or not sometimes certain shapes are scientically designed for a more full sound.

I remember talking to a luthier about it.
I'm not sure about electric guitars, I think that the shape is mostly for show and personal preference. I know acoustic guitars, the shape would probably effect the sound, but acoustic shapes are all pretty similar, as far as I've seen.
Most of the time, it really mainly depends on the pickups.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
The NES one is fit! But it looks kinda fake and computer-generated. With that, you could truly be Dragonforce, and play "Nintendo metal" as they have often been classified.
LMFAO! Nintendo Metal?
That's suiting for them.......

*cough* sorry lol
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
to be ****ing awesome is their point.

From a sound point of view, not AFAIK.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Bo Diddley
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
those seem more like for show and such, they just look cool
but some guitars are designed in the shape they are for how they affect the sound
even the type of wood the body is affects the sound

but stuff like that is just b/c it looks good
That NES guitar is awesome, but it's got to be hard to pick, with that controller in the way.
Now this is completely pointless-
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
yeah the guitars you have here are just for show but there are a few odd shaped guitars that are also good for studio work. The firewicks sound great, yeah they look a little weird but are surprisingly comfortable and the flame like spokes actualy act like tuning forks that give the guitar such a clean and warm tone
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Quote by thefreshman
That NES guitar is awesome, but it's got to be hard to pick, with that controller in the way.
Now this is completely pointless-

???
1) I don't even need 2 necks, much less 5.
2) An electric guitar with no pickups? WTF?

Strange shaped guitars are mainly for players to show off at shows. They *might* affect sound, but seeing as an electric guitar's sound comes from the pickups and amp, it's doubtful.
lol, before I saw Bo's guitar I was going post a picture.

I just don't get it

SRV R.I.P.
Quote by dinosaur sr

haha what the heck, thats awesome
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by -Blue-
???

Strange shaped guitars are mainly for players to show off at shows. They *might* affect sound, but seeing as an electric guitar's sound comes from the pickups and amp, it's doubtful.

If pickups are the only thing that effect sound then why do certain brands use heavy woods?
Quote by -Blue-
???

It's got pickups. Look closely.
I saw an guitar today at the local guitar store what had the neck flipped 180 degrees. It looked quite silly

/thread.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
o lordy
deliver us from the wangcaster
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
Quote by Ze_Metal
If pickups are the only thing that effect sound then why do certain brands use heavy woods?

Because they aren't the only thing that affect sound. Now, ignoring the fact that the amp has the most influence over tone, all the parts of a guitar change the tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Because they aren't the only thing that affect sound. Now, ignoring the fact that the amp has the most influence over tone, all the parts of a guitar change the tone.

Yeah, I know. It was kind of a rhetorical question.
yeah those guitars are really bad... they're not even funny
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
There are many different things that affect the tone of a guitar. It's pups, it's strings, it's intonation, it's set up, it's bridge, it's neck, the wood it's made of, whether or not it's bolted on, the way it's wired (that's kinda obvious), how close the pups are to the string, what kinda amp you have.

Different tones are easily found and lost.

Experiment, it's what makes the guitar different from other instruments, you can get A LOT of different tones from one guitar.

Unless your playing something like an Ibanez...where it's basically a metal guitar.

Edit: Guitars like the pacman and satan guitar are for show. Certain guitars are made for sustain or higher pitch, but as for these, they're just that way too look cool. If i were you, take an amazing guitar with great tone, pimp it out, and play it, don't get a guitar that looks cool.
(Example: the sword guitar, or the gun bass guitar)

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3587374405104706.JPG?0.9318327502435143
Last edited by ChrisL120 at Nov 3, 2008,
I play in a christian rock band.
Would it be appropriate for me to play a wangcaster?

just kidding!
Last edited by crowmoto at Nov 4, 2008,