Page 1 of 46
First off congratulations to the Detroit Red Wings for winning the cup, they had one hell of a year and deserve it. Also, Congratulations to Nicklas Lidstrom for being the first European captain to win the cup.

Now, for the postseason/preseason, with the free agency starting in a month, and the amateur entry draft happening on the 20th and 21st in Ottawa, lets get this started

heres a site with the list of free agents

http://www.nhlscap.com/2008fa_position.htm

so start your predictions on whos going where and stuff now

Also, RIP to Luc Bourdon
Last edited by eltyr18 at Jun 5, 2008,
The Penguins won't win the cup next year is my only prediction at the moment.

Oh and the Blackhawks won't make the play-offs AGAIN.
It's a pretty good UFA/RFA year this time around
Quote by campbell92
Here that kids, ants love cum.

Quote by Jaymz2K
I was about to suggest this. Listen to this man, he is wise and all-knowing.
I don't have any predictions on the season of next year, I just predict that the Penguins aren't going to be able to keep Hossa
my rangers gameplan for this summer:

dump roszival
dump straka
dump shanahan
dump malik
dump jagr

free agent targets:

take a shot at a guy like brooks orpik. hes that physical defenseman that they need.
go after malone. tell me a drury, avery, malone line wouldnt be the grittiest line in the league.
go after hossa. i know the odds are slim, but hes the two way forward and legit scoring threat gomez needs.
RESIGN AVERY.

trade prucha and/or tyutin, and our first rounder in an attempt to move up in the draft.

congrats to the wings. thanks for keeping crosby away from a cup.
im looking forward to the Flyers having another good season. they need to bring back Carter and Umberger for sure. bringing back Prospal would be pretty good too. they need to beef up their defense a little more as well. they have a decent set of starters, but there isnt much depth on the defense.
Quote by daytripper75
im looking forward to the Flyers having another good season. they need to bring back Carter and Umberger for sure. bringing back Prospal would be pretty good too. they need to beef up their defense a little more as well. they have a decent set of starters, but there isnt much depth on the defense.

^did they trade Forsberg back to the Avs? I can't quite remember.
I think the Wings have a shot at repeating. They have no salary cap issues, and most of their core players are signed to the long term. Hasek is done I believe. If Osgood plays as well next year as he did this year, I think we have a good chance. I don't really know too much about the East, but I think that San Jose, Anaheim, Detroit, and Dallas all have legitimate chances to come out of the West like they always do year in and year out. We'll see what off-season moves are made.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Quote by wizards?
^did they trade Forsberg back to the Avs? I can't quite remember.

Forsberg was traded to the Prredators last year....then no one resigned him because he is so injury prone. With about 30 games to go Forsberg signed back with the Avs.

The Rangers outlook is simple: Resign Avery, get one defensemen...... and get a couple kids out of the farm system.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I already miss hockey, and it's only been done for one day.

I can't wait to see what Helm can do for Detroit next year as well as seeing if Zetterberg and Datsyuk can continue to dominate. It's a little depressing that each year that goes on we get closer to Lidstrom retiring, but I don't see it happening for a pretty good while. He makes an outstanding captain. It will be interesting to see what Detroit does with goaltending next year but hopefully Osgood can keep playing the same way for at least a few years. I dunno what to say about Franzen, but I hope he can continue to build on what he had going for him late in the season and throughout the games he played in the playoff's, he'd be a points leader contender.

Anyway it's a great feeling to know after every season your favourite team has a shot at the cup next year.

I'am also excited to see what the Sharks, Blackhawks, and the Canadians can do, I think it's going to be another great year. Hopefully they are all able to clear up all this goalie interferance crap that seems to be a problem lately also.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
let's hope that the leafs can actually get their act together (ya right)

but on a serious note i hope that the Canucks can grab some good forwards so we can score this year. mabye Hossa. or even campbell. just we need something new
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
let's hope that the leafs can actually get their act together (ya right)

but on a serious note i hope that the Canucks can grab some good forwards so we can score this year. mabye Hossa. or even campbell. just we need something new

Its going to be about 5 hard long years before the leafs get better, and that's if they do it right.

Also, Campbell is a defenceman
Quote by campbell92

Quote by Jaymz2K
Quote by Mattman22255577
Its going to be about 5 hard long years before the leafs get better, and that's if they do it right.

Also, Campbell is a defenceman

i know i meant get a good forward then i thought ot get campbell becasue he could be a good addition
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
the bruins, the bruins WHAT?
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Well hopefully Murray hires the new coach before the NHL Draft, i'm thinking it's gonna be Bob Hartley. He seems like a Murray type coach who likes to play rough and isin't afraid of benching even the "star" players if they're playing like ****.

I wouldn't mind Tortorella as coach either. Him or Hartley may do wonders for Spezza and Heatley. After the new coach is in place, i hope to god that vermette and stillman are signed to an extension and re-signed respectively otherwise the scoring will be low in the nation's capital next year.

I don't think that Kelly will be re-signed and will be truly missed but i guess Cody Bass will replace him...

Go sens!
Last edited by the_trooper49 at Jun 5, 2008,
Dany Heatley will make 10 million this year so he better not disappoint us.

I don't think Marty Lapointe will stay in Ottawa, he will become a UFA and his salary won't cut it. He could retire also

I hope Stillman stays, he is also UFA.

I'd love to keep Commodore but he is another UFA and has good chances of not coming back.

Chris Kelly, very underrated player, is sadly a UFA and has said that he will probably test the open market this summer. If he leaves, our PK is taking a big hit.

Sean Donovan will be a UFA, his salary is low, so I suppose he could stay if only he stops taking dumb penalties.

Vermette will become a RFA and I really hope he stays.

Meszaros will become a RFA, he is another one that needs to stay although his two last seasons have been disappointing.

Randy Robitaille will become a UFA and I really don't care where he goes. He will probably end up in Europe.

McGrattan will become a RFA and I wish he could stay because he is a solid top 10 enforcer but there are good chances he ain't coming back

Richardson will most likely retire and land a job in the organization somewhere.

As for Redden and Emery, Na Na NaNaNaNa Hey Hey Hey Goodbye!!!
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Last edited by marc137 at Jun 5, 2008,
Gonna go out on a limb and say: The Leafs will not win the cup.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
marc, mez hasnt been good since he was on our third pairing, i hope he ends up in detroit, they have such a great system, he could learn the defensive aspects of the game, as well as to not just one time the puck into shin pads every time.
I want lapointe back, i liked him.
Will I miss kelly? yes. Do i think we should pay him the amount that he wants? no. most id give is maybe 2.5
Stillman, if we can sign him cheap for a yearwould be great, but idont think hes coming back.
Ill post it laster, but sens are expected to hire Hartley now.
Commodore, I kid of liked but I doubt he stays.
Redden... good riddance.
Vermette must be resigned, most likely in the 4mil range.
Trade spezza and a prospect for nash.
draft defense in the 1st round goaltending in the second.
Richardson is unofficially retired from hockey.
Mcgrattan, I wouldn't completely care if we lost him, he looks like a fun guy, but he doesnt play so...
Donovan def isn't coming back, and no way we want to resign robitaille.
LEAFS FOR CUP
hopefully the Flyers can do what they did again this year. They will have more experince and we need not to have so many suspensions for dumb penalties to start the year
My gear:
Epiphone Explorer
JB player strat
Spider II 30watt
Some knock off bass
Create bass amp 50 watt

www.myspace.com/ydayshero
I hope the Sharks can re-sign Brian Campbell, we need him badly
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Ottawa is SCREWED big time.

Lets see, Spezza, Heatley, and Alfredsson are sucking up half of the cap space at 24 million combined Add Fisher into the mix at 6 mill. for a grand total of 30 million dollars on FOUR players! (We all know how Tampa Bay fared with that strategy)

We all saw how miserable they did once the big line was neutralized.

I seriously doubt that they will be able to unload Emery, so that puts another 7 million bucks on 2 average goalies (at best).

And now they have to sign Kelly, Donovan, Lapointe, Stillman, Redden, Commodore,
With the remaining 15 million.

...Not looking good.

Pittsburgh is in a similar situation with half their team as UFA's. We all know Hossa is going to demand big time money and Pitt just can't offer that, especially if they want to keep Malkin in 2 years. Staal, Talbot, are also RFA in two years and they are both key players who will undoubtedly want a hefty pay raise.

On top of that they have to sign Malone, Laraque, Ruutu, Dupuis, Orpik.
They are no where near as bad as Ottawa in terms of cap space, but I get the feeling that this year was an all or nothing situation. Armstrong and Christensen certainly look like a steep price to pay in hindsite. It was a gamble which didn't pan out. I also am certain that Therrien is gone by next year.

So my bold prediction...Pittsburgh will make it into the playoffs pretty easily but their chance at a cup run is gone. Next year is not too bad in terms of cap space, but the year after is big trouble.
Ottawa will be struggling to make it to the playoffs next year. Take away Ottawa's impressive start last year and they were playing below 0.500. I don't really see how they can improve on last years team. SOOOO Ottawa will be 8th place AT BEST.
Last edited by Tharsis at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Tharsis

Lets see, Spezza, Heatley, and Alfredsson are sucking up half of the cap space at 24 million combined Add Fisher into the mix at 6 mill. for a grand total of 30 million dollars on FOUR players! (We all know how Tampa Bay fared with that strategy)

I seriously doubt that they will be able to unload Emery, so that puts another 7 million bucks on 2 average goalies (at best).

And now they have to sign Kelly, Donovan, Lapointe, Stillman, Redden, Commodore,

Ottawa will be struggling to make it to the playoffs next year. Take away Ottawa's impressive start last year and they were playing below 0.500. I don't really see how they can improve on last years team. SOOOO Ottawa will be 8th place AT BEST.

Like me and csn00b already said, Kelly,Donovan,Lapointe,Redden and Commodore will probably not resign, so we still have room for Stillman(depending on how mutch he asks),Vermette,meszaros and possibly McGrattan just for the fighting.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Quote by marc137
Like me and csn00b already said, Kelly,Donovan,Lapointe,Redden and Commodore will probably not resign, so we still have room for Stillman(depending on how mutch he asks),Vermette,meszaros and possibly McGrattan just for the fighting.

When is the league going to mandate that Commodore wear number 64?

Quote by campbell92

Quote by Jaymz2K
Quote by marc137

That is all well and good, but who will fill those spots? There is still a significant issue when 4 players take up 60% of the cap space.

Plus the goalie debacle.

It is still going to be a one line team with with a bunch of 4th line nobodies and overpriced mediocre goaltending.

Plus there will be a serious shortage of top 4 defence.

oh and...lol at the Commodore 64
you guys waste no time, it was a good finals i must say, so many teams are in trouble, whos coaching the sharks?
I agree that many teams are in trouble.

I think that a team to truly succeed in the long term, you have to avoid huge (9 mil +) contracts.

Lets look at Detroit, they are the ideal model for effective long term management. I think that they are the closest thing to a dynasty that we have seen in the new NHL. They did not get their talent from 1st pick lotteries like Pittsburgh, they are continuously succeeding and they are drafting well. They are also not playing the UFA sweepstakes either. They are drafting intelligently. They have had a game plan for many years and are drafting in accordance with this plan. Unlike many GM's that will try to draft the best talent and then build a team around that. This works for the ovechkins and crosbys but not for the average first round picks.

It is amazing that we lost a year of hockey during the lockout to curb huge salaries, yet we are now looking at the most inflated salaries to date. It is unreal. Many teams have fallen prey to these huge salaries and are now going to have to pay the price. Tampa Bay was the first and there will be many many more to come.
Quote by csn00b
marc, mez hasnt been good since he was on our third pairing, i hope he ends up in detroit, they have such a great system, he could learn the defensive aspects of the game, as well as to not just one time the puck into shin pads every time.
I want lapointe back, i liked him.
Will I miss kelly? yes. Do i think we should pay him the amount that he wants? no. most id give is maybe 2.5
Stillman, if we can sign him cheap for a yearwould be great, but idont think hes coming back.
Ill post it laster, but sens are expected to hire Hartley now.
Commodore, I kid of liked but I doubt he stays.
Redden... good riddance.
Vermette must be resigned, most likely in the 4mil range.
Trade spezza and a prospect for nash.draft defense in the 1st round goaltending in the second.
Richardson is unofficially retired from hockey.
Mcgrattan, I wouldn't completely care if we lost him, he looks like a fun guy, but he doesnt play so...
Donovan def isn't coming back, and no way we want to resign robitaille.

if Howson traded nash there goes ohio hockey out the window( and his job). Nash is the blue jackets an if he gets traded then im burning down nationwide.

Kappenen retired from the flyers so theres another dman we need to add the flyers dman needs an it appears we dont have that many good prospects in the farm system. Of course they will sign carter( I think Holmgem has a bonner for him) an hopefully umberger. I think we should resign jones, dump smith, dump Boulrice, resign Thoresen( he did take one for the teamlol). an ya Hopefully Giroux pans out and we prolly wont see Kovar till 09-10 wen we are rid of Nittimaki. I also wonder will we see klotz this year?
Quote by Tharsis
I agree that many teams are in trouble.

I think that a team to truly succeed in the long term, you have to avoid huge (9 mil +) contracts.

Lets look at Detroit, they are the ideal model for effective long term management. I think that they are the closest thing to a dynasty that we have seen in the new NHL. They did not get their talent from 1st pick lotteries like Pittsburgh, they are continuously succeeding and they are drafting well. They are also not playing the UFA sweepstakes either. They are drafting intelligently. They have had a game plan for many years and are drafting in accordance with this plan. Unlike many GM's that will try to draft the best talent and then build a team around that. This works for the ovechkins and crosbys but not for the average first round picks.

It is amazing that we lost a year of hockey during the lockout to curb huge salaries, yet we are now looking at the most inflated salaries to date. It is unreal. Many teams have fallen prey to these huge salaries and are now going to have to pay the price. Tampa Bay was the first and there will be many many more to come.

cough"Briere" cough
Wild Thrashers related guesses:

- John Tortorella ends up as the new Thrashers coach, with Dave Nonis named GM, and Don Waddell promoted within Atlanta Spirit to the former job of the now retired Bernie Mullen.
- Nonis makes some idiotic move like signing Miroslav Satan, and it actually works out really well.
- Ilya Nikulin finally comes over from Russia
- Ilya Kovalchuk does NOT get his much needed UFA center, but ends up on a line with Bryan Little and Miro Satan
- Alexei Zhitnik is bought out
- Garnet Exelby is traded for futures
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Detroit's pretty much set for next year as well. I'd like to see Filppula and Samuelsson (assuming he isn't looking for a substantial raise) back, and they will both probably resign. Lilja might be the odd man out on defense this year with all these young guys we have on the Griffins. Excited to see Helm have a more prominent role next year, and he should with the likely retirement of Drake. Hasek said he has yet to decide on his future, but I hope he retires. He proved this year that he is done. If he is willing to back up Osgood for the season, I wouldn't mind that. Otherwise it's time to let him go and give Howard a shot.

One thing I hope we see next year is more consistent officiating. It's hard to complain when your team wins the Stanley Cup, but game 6 was a disaster. Drake, Draper and Datsyuk all got penalties for what were basically body checks. Datsyuk got an interference penalty for hitting Staal, who had the puck. Hmm. Hudler's penalty in the last few minutes was cheesy enough, but then they somehow missed Lilja getting his stick shot away leading to a goal. It was honestly some of the most one sided officiating I have ever seen. I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but it sure seemed to me like the NHL wanted a game 7. That's just the beginning though, the officiating all playoffs was brutal. There's too much gray area about what is a penalty and what isn't. I hope this somehow gets clarified in the offseason.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to next season already. Can't wait for NHL 09 either.
Quote by Tharsis

since when is fisher making 6 mill a year...? and who cares about donovan, lapointe or redden, honestly they were brutal, especially redden. Stillman, kelly, Commodore can easily be resigned for less than 15.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Quote by Vedder
since when is fisher making 6 mill a year...? and who cares about donovan, lapointe or redden, honestly they were brutal, especially redden. Stillman, kelly, Commodore can easily be resigned for less than 15.

Fischer's brand new contract, 6, 4, 4, 4, and 3 mil. Another brilliant contract in the post lock out era. I agree about donovan and lapointe but there is still the issue of signing an effective replacement. Unless it comes from the farm team (rookie) they will have to pay a premium for free agents. As for Redden, I agree he sucked but you will still have to sign another top 4 D-man, and the current market has these guys making atleast 5 mil a year. so as I mentioned above, even if you don't resign the current dead weight, you will still need to fill the rest of the roster with what little money is remaining. And yes I am sure that Vermette will be asking for atleast 2.5 mil.

So Ottawa is STILL going the way of Tampa bay unfortunately.
Guys I think the Canucks should make an offer:

Brian Rolston (UFA)
Tuomo Ruutu (RFA)
Michael Ryder (UFA)

and then we can trade a 1st rounder, a young d-man, and a future 1st round pick for Rick Nash

think about it.

Sedin Sedin Ryder
Nash Ruutu Rolston
Burr Kesler Shannon
farm farm farm
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I think the Pens will make Hosa a priority and do whatever they can to keep him which means they will most likely loose Malone and Orpik.

The Wings will stay pretty much status quo but I think Hasek will retire (AGAIN!), which actually helps the Wings

Jagr will retire and the Rangers will be looking for a hot shot to replace him.

That's all I got for now
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Tharsis

I think it hilarious that NHL 07 was the first game to use the salary cap, and if you played enough seasons, all the best players were free agents because no one could afford them. Then they decided to incorporate "team interest" in NHL 08, even though that apparently is not the case in the real NHL.
Quote by campbell92

Quote by Jaymz2K
Quote by Tharsis
Fischer's brand new contract, 6, 4, 4, 4, and 3 mil. Another brilliant contract in the post lock out era.
So Ottawa is STILL going the way of Tampa bay unfortunately.

The cap hit of a player isin't the total amount of money he makes in the current year, it's the sum of his contract divided by the number of years in the contract. So, Fisher's cap hit will be 4.2 until the contract is up. That being said, Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, and Fisher will cost 22.7 Million. That's pretty damn good for 4 great players...

Players leaving Ottawa: Kelly, Redden, McGrattan, Commodore, Robataille, Lapointe.
Players Returning: Re-signed Vermette for 4 years...Stillman 2 years...Donovan 1 year.
Ottawa has Lee, Nikulin, Bass, Foligno, Winchester to give their spots to next season for cheap in which they can sign a puck moving defencemen for the backend.

Most teams would kill for a talent of this in their top 6:

Foligno-Spezza-Heatley
Vermette-Fisher-Alfredsson
*Possibly add Stillman in the mix and take out foligno if he's re-signed.
Last edited by the_trooper49 at Jun 6, 2008,