The Alesis is an audio interface that is used with a computer to record. The Tascam is an all-in-one recorder with an internal hard-drive, meaning you don't need a comp for it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
the mixer is used with a computer....its somewhat of an audio interfacae.
USB mixer interfaces generally mix all your inputs down to a single stereo track before sending to the PC, this isnt good when it comes to mixing....

the multi track recorder is more limited and made for on the road recording where you dont have a laptop or desktop to use.

What are you planning on recording
what is your budget?

I suggest getting a proper audio interface...
PC DAW setups are easier to work on and generally less costly...
Quote by moody07747
the mixer is used with a computer....its somewhat of an audio interfacae.
USB mixer interfaces generally mix all your inputs down to a single stereo track before sending to the PC, this isnt good when it comes to mixing....

the multi track recorder is more limited and made for on the road recording where you dont have a laptop or desktop to use.

What are you planning on recording
what is your budget?

I suggest getting a proper audio interface...
PC DAW setups are easier to work on and generally less costly...

Well i have a limit of $200 right now im recording my band with a portastudio cassete,
I was looking at the digital portastudio for like 150 its a dp-01 i thought i could hook it up to my computer and record could i still do that if i wanted?
the alesis usb8 is fine if you're just doing track by track. (but sorta pointless for having 8 inputs)

with a portastudio, you can record without the need for a computer, but if it has a USB port that usually means you can take all the tracks from it and do the mixing on a computer.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.