ok, so at the minute i feed my basses through a boss ODB-3 & a digitech synth-wah enveloper but i was thinking about adding some more effects to my line-up, like a chorus, wah(the synth-wah has no wahness) & compresser/sustainer. can anyone suggest some good pedals?
by the way, i normally play classic rock, metal, film/tv music & 80s synth pop.
if you play synth pop you might want to check out the Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If youre looking for a nice bass wah go for the dunlop crybaby 105q. You dont lose the low end like the crybaby bass and it has a great sweep. Or you can look into the morley dual bass wah which is also quite good. As for chorus go to your local guitar store and check out the boss bass chorus, see if you like it first, theyre not for everyone. As for the post above id avoid the syb bass synth I find it lacks variety especially for the price.

EDIT: The Boss octave is pretty cool too you can give it a look although im not sure exactly what its called.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
The morley dual bass wah is quite a fun pedal to mess around with if your looking for a new wah, using it in funk mode with an overdrive creates some cool sounds
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you play synth pop you might want to stay miles away from the Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer.

fixed
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I absolutely love every one of the pedals in my sig. They're all top-quality with lots of versatility. Wish I could've snagged a bass whammy while it was out, but I had to settle for the standard. Either way, any of these pedals would make an excellent addition to anybody's signal path.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
^^^

Your pedal choices make me and your ric sad.

To the thread starter though try and stick to bass specific pedals theres nothing worse for your tone than using a guitar pedal on a bass.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
In my day I've bought a lot of pedals and used very few of them.

For this reason, I will only condone buying an envelope, a wah, and a distortion. I once had a multi-fx pedal, a compressor, and a chorus. Maybe I'm just not a fan of chorus - maybe its your thing, idk. But I never used mine so I got rid of it.
The rest are personal choices.
You should decide on what kind of pedal you want before you decide on which pedal. If it's just a wah, most people boil it down to the 105Q and the morley dual. I have a Snarling Dogs pedal, but I don't use it as a wah, I put it all the way down and use it as almost a... funk-distortion. As a wah, its only eh.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
To be honest I think bass sounds better without the effects.. And effects ruin the original sound. But hey, thats just my opinion.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
To be honest I think bass sounds better without the effects.. And effects ruin the original sound. But hey, thats just my opinion.

says the guy with no amp
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Only at the moment! And I'm using an Ashdown ABM300 head with a 4 x 10 cab at the studio my band practices in.

I'm just.. between amps at the moment.

Dunno if I should get a cheaper 100 watt or buy myself an Ashdown ABM with cab.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by bluntfoot
^^^

Your pedal choices make me and your ric sad.

To the thread starter though try and stick to bass specific pedals theres nothing worse for your tone than using a guitar pedal on a bass.

Haha you're talking about the Big Muff, I presume. Really, it takes some fooling with, but it's quite capable of producing a really nice sound. Other than that, an Ashdown chorus plus is almost married to the Ric for more bassists than I. The Boss DD-6 is a very versatile delay pedal, and a volume pedal is a volume pedal is a volume pedal. It's rarely used anyway. Plus, the music I play is nothing anyone would consider conventional.

Don't tell other bassists what sound to seek in the future, please. Thanks. Personal preference is a large factor.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Nah I understand, I was actually more referring to your whammy, seeing as how they tip a little towards the expensive side and i didn't want to the threadstarter to think it was a necessity however although we may differ on the big muff, the other pedals do work quite well with a bass.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by CaptainJack666
fixed

+1, the SYB5 is monophonic IIRC. This means that it can only process one tone at a time, play a chord or double stop and it'll bounce between the two signals. So if you ever wanna use your SYB5 on a guitar, youre screwed.

I think the older, discontinued SYB3's are polyphonic. As are the legendary Akai Deep Impacts and the EHX Micro Bass Synth.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
good start with the ODB-3. The reason your snyth-wah is no good is because its digitech, get either a harminix q-tron, or dod-fx25b. Thing with either of those is they are not a substitute for a real wah, for that everyone has made the recomendations I would have made. Maybe an EQ as well because the mids kinda mess with the ODB-3's sound but you need mids for a synth-wah, or you can just run back and forth to your amp.
Quote by Jonnomainman
+1, the SYB5 is monophonic IIRC. This means that it can only process one tone at a time, play a chord or double stop and it'll bounce between the two signals. So if you ever wanna use your SYB5 on a guitar, youre screwed.

I think the older, discontinued SYB3's are polyphonic. As are the legendary Akai Deep Impacts and the EHX Micro Bass Synth.

I use my SYB on guitar all the time, but yes it is monophonic, you can play guitar without playing chords you know.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm