Well my primary language is Spanish.
I've seen a lot of people lately writing: the reality (of course Spanish speaking people) as in "back to the reality" I know that is wrong I know it's supposed to be wrote like "back to reality" in any case.
So I was wondering, I know it's wrong but I don't know why, can some one answer me?
Member #? of theVIVA MEXICO CLUB

Beware of the Lawyer: the Dog is Harmless.
I´m quite sure it´s just "reality" without "the". Like nature or faith.

EDIT:
Oh yeah you wanted the REASON. Umm our teacher always explained that you can´t "touch" reality, nature,... .
Hmm..

Well reality is "THE world as we know it" so I suppose if you said "back to the reality", you are effectively saying "back to the the world as we know it".

Just a guess though - taking a wild stab at the definition of "reality".
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Ayumi1988
I´m quite sure it´s just "reality" without "the". Like nature or faith.

That's not what he asked.

TS, I don't know my self
You won't include 'the' there, because reality is a state of mind, such as sleep (unconsciousness). You don't say "I'm going to the sleep for the night." You say "I'm going to sleep for the night."

English is a crazy language.
What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
I think it's because "reality" is a place. It's a place in time. So you don't need the "the" in front of it.

example: Back to school.

Below, you need to use "the" because the word is an object.

example 2: Back to the apple.

(I know that doesn't make sense anyway, but you get the idea).
Quote by GanonDragmire
I think it's because "reality" is a place. It's a place in time. So you don't need the "the" in front of it.

I'm seriously knackered and almost falling asleep, but I think that this guy has cracked it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I believe the article ´the´specifies the material existence of the object, such as ´the room´ or even ´the world´, but since reality is a concept, we don´t use an article.
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
Quote by GanonDragmire

This guy is right too, we don´t use articles for places or concepts. I´m sure there´s something else too, i just haven´t thought of it
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
its hard to explain...

some words of that nature have 'ness' on the end, like 'realness' which isnt gramatically correct, the right word is 'reality' and it doesnt need 'the' before it because it kind of says it within the meaning of the word already.
Dancing In Your Dust
Depends what context of reality you're meaning, "back to reality" is often like comming back from a holiday or something, or returning to something you would normally do, it's saying, it's not so much about the word 'reality', that one is phrase.

However, "Back to the reality", can be seen as a phrase but is more commonly (in my eyes), to be percieved as say like, escapism, such as playing online games (to use a simple example), such as WOW or any RPG game, going off it can be seen as back to the reality :P
Quote by Slashrulz
Well my primary language is Spanish.
I've seen a lot of people lately writing: the reality (of course Spanish speaking people) as in "back to the reality" I know that is wrong I know it's supposed to be wrote like "back to reality" in any case.
So I was wondering, I know it's wrong but I don't know why, can some one answer me?

It's supposed to be written...

Hmm, well from what I can gather the english language is retarded and full of things like this. But from a technical standpoint I think it has to do with the context in which it is used. The phrase is using reality as an abstract phrase, if you said "the reality" it would imply that you had a specific reality in mind such as, "the reality of business." The way it is being used in this phrase allows for more freedom. In addition it is also an idiomatic expression. Hope that helps
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
I think I get it, "the" is for "objective" objects and without the "the" is for abstract concepts... I'm guessing...

Quote by Slashrulz
I think I get it, "the" is for "objective" objects and without the "the" is for abstract concepts... I'm guessing...

You also don't need the "the" for places.

[edit] OMG, the English language is so confusing.
Quote by GanonDragmire
You also don't need the "the" for places.

[edit] OMG, the English language is so confusing.

I think you do. Example: I'm going to THE beach. And usually you say: I'm home, but if someone calls you (a familiar) can you say "I'm at THE house"?

Aye, example being...

'I am going to go back to the sleep' is wrong, because sleep is an actual physical action. So you don't have to use the 'the' and it's 'I am going back to sleep'.
But dreaming is kind of conceptual, not a physical action, so it can have the 'the' eg. 'living the dream'.
I guess that's why it's 'reality' not 'the reality'.
So places and concepts don't need 'the' infront of them to introduce them, but objects do. Also the difference between familiar and the unknown. If you're talking to someone with prior existence of school, it's 'the school', because they know which school.
I think.

Sorry if that made no sense, mate. Or I just got it wrong.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by Pharoah
You won't include 'the' there, because reality is a state of mind, such as sleep (unconsciousness). You don't say "I'm going to the sleep for the night." You say "I'm going to sleep for the night."

English is a crazy language.

quoted for truth

like 'the reality of the situation' sometimes english just doesnt make sense

example: 'brough' is pronounced 'buror'. 'read' can be 'reed' or 'red'.

spanish is a whole lot better really. you just have to learn the little quirks of english
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Slashrulz

Yep, that´s it.

You can touch any objects, so you use "the". And when something is abstract like reality, you can´t touch it so it´s without "the".
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
quoted for truth

like 'the reality of the situation' sometimes english just doesnt make sense

example: 'brough' is pronounced 'buror'. 'read' can be 'reed' or 'red'.

spanish is a whole lot better really. you just have to learn the little quirks of english

Through. God. Though I like it .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU&feature=related
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by GanonDragmire

going back to Pub...hey wait a second!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
going back to Pub...hey wait a second!

Familiar and unknown. Read mine.