I'd like to change the pickup covers on my HSS Strat from white to black. I've seen the three single-coil packs, but I'm assuming there is an HSS pack somewhere?
Humbuckers don't have covers, unless they're chrome or nickle. Your guitar's humbucker probably has white bobbins, and you really can't replace those. You could replace the entire pickup to a Dimarzio or Duncan with black bobbins, if you wanted to make a tonal upgrade, but with your amp, it might not be worth the $60-$90. GFS pickups are available with black bobbins, though, and are much more reasonably priced.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Humbuckers don't have covers, unless they're chrome or nickle. Your guitar's humbucker probably has white bobbins, and you really can't replace those. You could replace the entire pickup to a Dimarzio or Duncan with black bobbins, if you wanted to make a tonal upgrade, but with your amp, it might not be worth the $60-$90. GFS pickups are available with black bobbins, though, and are much more reasonably priced.

Hmm, well that crushes my hopes and dreams.

Yeah, it's just the plastic top piece that would need to be changed, but I guess it can't be. I was wondering because it did look different. I'm not really interested in a pickup upgrade at the moment because of $$$, I just got the guitar, and my experience doesn't warrant it, IMO. And I'm very happy with my happy too. Hmpphh.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

humbuckers do have pickup covers.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/covers_humbucker.htm
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by TheProducer
Hmm, well that crushes my hopes and dreams.

Yeah, it's just the plastic top piece that would need to be changed, but I guess it can't be. I was wondering because it did look different. I'm not really interested in a pickup upgrade at the moment because of $$$, I just got the guitar, and my experience doesn't warrant it, IMO. And I'm very happy with my happy too. Hmpphh.

google humbucker covers. there are tons of them from guitarpartsresource.com and other websites.
there's one at the bottom of the link.
If you look at the sides of your humbucker and see a wrapping of material around them, the top is the bobbins. If you see plastic sides then you have covers.
Quote by leviticus_22953
there's one at the bottom of the link.

Sorry, I don't follow :S

I have a wrapping of material around them.
you put them on top of the humbucker.
Quote by leviticus_22953
you put them on top of the humbucker.

the bits that need changing are the white plastic bits the wire is actually wrapped round. not really possible
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by TheProducer
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Pickup_building/i-5961.html

Not quite. The pickup wires are wrapped around the bobbins.

that's probably for a nickel/chrome pickup cover. for all i know, you just put the plastic covers on top of a regular humbucker with no soldering.
Quote by GoDrex
black sharpie

Haha!

Looks like I'll sticking with white for now. My plan was for a black 3-ply pickguard with black pickups and chrome flat-top tele knobs on my Brown Sunburst Strat.
Quote by leviticus_22953
that's probably for a nickel/chrome pickup cover. for all i know, you just put the plastic covers on top of a regular humbucker with no soldering.

It's one solid piece though. The bobbin is like a spool of wire.
wait a minute, no offense but what the hell do you want to replace?

do you want it to look like a Gibson bucker but with black cover?
that cleared me up. you still want the pole pieces to be seen. do you have stock pickups?
Quote by leviticus_22953
that cleared me up. you still want the pole pieces to be seen. do you have stock pickups?

Yep. Which is why I don't think it's possible anymore.
i think so too. if it's stock, why not replace it with Dimarzios or Duncans?
Quote by leviticus_22953
i think so too. if it's stock, why not replace it with Dimarzios or Duncans?

For a few reasons. Mostly just because I just got the guitar and don't feel the need, nor do I have the money. I'm also not in a situation where I could appreciate a better pickup yet anyways.

I'm not a huge fan of the black pickguard with white pickups. Maybe that red tortoise would look alright though...Hmm, maybe I'll just order my Tele knobs--unless someone would like to crush that dream for me too. I've been told it works though.
I was in the same boat about 6 months ago and ended up just saving for new pups. My Duncan Custom Custom was $90 I think and worth every penny over that stock HB. That is AFTER an amp upgrade tho which usually will make more of a difference.

Everything including pickgaurd, pups, knobs etc used to be white.
Attachments:
pick up swap.JPG
well, goodluck on that mod.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was in the same boat about 6 months ago and ended up just saving for new pups. My Duncan Custom Custom was $90 I think and worth every penny over that stock HB. That is AFTER an amp upgrade tho which usually will make more of a difference.

Everything including pickgaurd, pups, knobs etc used to be white.

That looks great man.

Which custom is that? Still have the stock singles in there?
311ZOSOVHJH's Strat does look good! Another option is put white pickguard onto your Strat. Black Body with white pickguard and PUs still looks good. It's quite a bit cheaper too than replacing pickups.
Quote by KenG
311ZOSOVHJH's Strat does look good! Another option is put white pickguard onto your Strat. Black Body with white pickguard and PUs still looks good. It's quite a bit cheaper too than replacing pickups.

I have a white pickguard, it comes with it. I'm not saying it looks bad by any means, I just had a certain idea in mind. But it'll have to wait until I feel the need to do the pickups.
yeah - mine was purchased in that standard Clapton black/white strat look. MIM HSS. I wanted an all black look with a little white trim.

the singles are stock just have the black plastic covers on them.
the bridge is a Seymour Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom trembucker for strat.

the MIM strat HSS could really use a HB swap so I think it was worth the cash.

;
yeah i want to do the same thing but have and olymipic white body with black pickups , pickguard, knobs etc... like billy corgin has.what i dont understand is how does he get black lace pickups??