So I've been trying to make this decision for months now, and I'm hoping you guys can help (first time poster by the way, hello ).

So here has been my thought process thus far.

I have only been playing for a few months on a pretty crappy Ibanez (one of the $300 starter packs that comes with an amp, a guitar strap, a soft case, booklet, etc). The guitar by itself isn't inherently bad, but I got a fairly poorly put-together model with sharp frets near the high-E string, slight low-E string buzz (mostly fixed now, but still a bit of an issue), and a few nicks and dings here and there.

Now, for a while I was considering just getting a new guitar, but I also realize the importance of a better amp. So here are the qualities I'm looking for, and I hope you all can help me decide on a good guitar.

I'm realizing that I tend to learn more metal or harder rock songs (Metallica, Killswitch Engage, and various other bands, many of which use drop-C). However, I also like variety and play clean stuff (think Opeth's Damnation, lots of clean/acoustic sounding stuff). So, I will now list the guitars I've seen that I liked, and the aspects of each that intrigued me:

1) Schecter Hellraiser C-1
-What I Liked most about it? I heard it was a great metal guitar, and I loved the long (25.5 inch) neck which I heard was very suited for drop-C-tuning.
-Concerns: I plan on upgrading my crappy amp with a Microcube sometime soon. I feel that the EMGs + Metal style guitar would be wasted on such a small amp (And since this is primarily for in-bedroom playing and practicing, I don't really think getting a bigger/louder amp is an option.

Also, might not be too versatile past metal?

2) ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
-What I Liked most about it? Seems like a really sweet metal guitar, and even better than the Hellraiser for cleans due to the different pickups (EMG60 instead of 89). Beautiful look in my opinion.

-Concerns: Little too expensive for my level of playing ability, and the neck is shorter, which I heard isn't as good for drop tuning, which I would like to do to play some stuff by Killswitch Engage, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet for my Valentine, etc. Also, as with the hellraiser, I have no experience with XJumbo frets. Any thoughts about that?

What my current thought is: I was tempted to get a midrange guitar, possibly something like an Epi Les Paul Custom (one of the middle-of-the-line models). A friend of mine has one and it sounded pretty good, and it wouldn't set me back financially too much. I was wondering if a guitar like that, combined with a Microcube and maybe something like a PodXT would be a good way to go for me, so that I won't spend too much money, yet will get a wide variety of tones that I'm looking for.

If anyone can possibly help me shed some light on this situation and offer me their opinions, I would greatly appreciate it. All total (amp/effects/guitar) I'm hoping to spend under $1,000 U.S., so please keep that in mind.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
get the EC-1000. they are very reliable and LTDs just sound amazing.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
As mentioned, this is U.S. currency.

Also to those who recommended the EC-1000:

Will drop-C tuning be an issue with say, 11 gauge strings?
And will the EMGs be wasted on such a small amp as a Microcube? I've heard that they really shine when used with a louder amp and with the volume cranked up.
Quote by Freyjann

And will the EMGs be wasted on such a small amp as a Microcube? I've heard that they really shine when used with a louder amp and with the volume cranked up.

drop c will be fine with a set of 10s or 11s. btw, the scale of the neck (the length) really isn't a downtuning issue (as you mentioned) it's really more of a comfort issue. as for the EMG's, they're not really worth it unless they're used w/ a tube amp. but some EC models do come with passive seymour duncans

If you have $1000 why cant you buy a lower model (but still decent) guitar, and then a better amp?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Freyjann

yeah i play drop c stuff with skinny top heavy bottom strings, and my e is a 10
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by shredhead22
drop c will be fine with a set of 11s. btw, the scale of the neck (the length) really isn't a downtuning issue (as you mentioned) it's really more of a comfort issue. as for the EMG's, they're not really worth it unless they're used w/ a tube amp. but some EC models do come with seymour duncans

If you have $1000 why cant you buy a lower model (but still decent) guitar, and then a better amp?

Good to know about the drop-tuning issue, thank you.

And about your second point, I did originally throw that out there as an idea. Possibly get a mid-range guitar and something like a PodXT, which seems like it would give me a lot of metal and other tones that I would really like.

I was currently looking into getting a microcube. I know that isn't a great amp (It is for its size though, from what I've experienced first-hand), but with better amps comes more sound and wattage, which I don't really need, since I'm in college campus-style housing and can't play way too loud.

Can you possibly point me in the direction of a good amp that isn't too loud for bedroom use? Also, would something like the PodXT be worth looking into for me given the information I've provided? I know some say it might sound too "digital" for them, but it seems like a pretty versatile piece of equipment, and combined with the huge online database of user created settings I think it would be a good investment.
Quote by Freyjann
Good to know about the drop-tuning issue, thank you.

And about your second point, I did originally throw that out there as an idea. Possibly get a mid-range guitar and something like a PodXT, which seems like it would give me a lot of metal and other tones that I would really like.

I was currently looking into getting a microcube. I know that isn't a great amp (It is for its size though, from what I've experienced first-hand), but with better amps comes more sound and wattage, which I don't really need, since I'm in college campus-style housing and can't play way too loud.

Can you possibly point me in the direction of a good amp that isn't too loud for bedroom use? Also, would something like the PodXT be worth looking into for me given the information I've provided? I know some say it might sound too "digital" for them, but it seems like a pretty versatile piece of equipment, and combined with the huge online database of user created settings I think it would be a good investment.

more wattage means more headroom, not more volume. although you're on the right track by not looking for an overkill 150w triple rec for your dorm room. I'v never used the POD consistently, but the times i did borrow i was able to get a decent sound out of it. One thing I think you should consider is getting an amp with a headphone out (that will cut the noise coming from the speakers, and run only through the headphones) if you're worried about being too loud.

also as far as an amp goes, have you considered purchasing used gear?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
more wattage means more headroom, not more volume. although you're on the right track by not looking for an overkill 150w triple rec for your dorm room. I'v never used the POD consistently, but the times i did borrow i was able to get a decent sound out of it. One thing I think you should consider is getting an amp with a headphone out (that will cut the noise coming from the speakers, and run only through the headphones) if you're worried about being too loud.

also as far as an amp goes, have you considered purchasing used gear?

I would probably prefer to buy a new guitar. However, I'd probably be more inclined to buy a used amp, assuming I can find a suitable one for a decent price. Do you have any recommendations considering my volume requirements?
Quote by Freyjann
I would probably prefer to buy a new guitar. However, I'd probably be more inclined to buy a used amp, assuming I can find a suitable one for a decent price. Do you have any recommendations considering my volume requirements?

well the general rule is tube>solidstate, but just for bedroom playing with no gigging i don't think you need a tube amp unless you really want one. PLus if you wanted effects you'de have to throw in extra $$ for something like that POD or stomp boxes. Considering the fact that you're looking for versatility i'd look into a Line 6 flextone of some kind (although i've heard of reliability issues with the flextone..?). Start looking on craigslist or anywhere else local over buying on ebay. Used it should look like this...
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=659519

If you want more amp suggestions, i'd suggest you look in the GG&A forum as there are some very knowledgeble people there.

BTW; im gonna get flamed by a bunch of people who've never played the flextone, but just hate the name "line 6" because of the spider series.
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jun 5, 2008,