I want suggestions for:

7 - string - 24 frets
Versatile (I mean versatile, I intend to play Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Progressive Rock, Death Metal, and Funk)
budget of $1000 give or take 200
i don't mind buying used
An OFR preferably, or a quality trem that will stay in tune well.

Feel free to suggest a guitar with pickup changes.

GO!

EDIT:

Amp-wise I intend to get a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV soon.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Jun 5, 2008,
Ibanez Apex. Munky (guitarist of Korn)'s signature model. That's the best 7 string I can think of.
Ibanez RG-1527 maybe? I know Chris Broderick uses that with some sort of Bareknuckle pickups and he gets a pretty tasty Jazz and metal tone.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Ibanez RG-1527 maybe? I know Chris Broderick uses that with some sort of Bareknuckle pickups and he gets a pretty tasty Jazz and metal tone.

yeah, Chris can do Nevermore to funky jazz with his.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by dnamra13

Bo-El MC7

The purple one looks really nice. Never heard of the brand before though. anyone played it?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
RG1527 like others said, or you can look for a used carvin 727.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Thanks. I was actually thinking about a RG1527. Pickup-wise I was thinking about either the seymour duncan jazz pickup or the dimarzio air norton in the neck, and either the d sonic or the d activator in the bridge.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Jun 6, 2008,
Chris Broderick Typically uses a custom shop Ibanez, not a 1527. However, Francesco Fareri uses a 1527.
Also look into the Carvin DC727 or DC747. Then the Schecter Hellraiser C7FR, or the Loomis Signature. Honestly, for a grand you may be able to find a used USA BC Rich, which are also great guitars. I use mine for metal, rock, classical, jazz, blues, etc. Then there's the Ibanez 1527, S7320, Munky Apex 2, and Xiphos XP707FX. ESP's LTD series has the SC607 and the SC607 B. Finally, there's the Agile Interceptor Pro Blue Flame and Pro Black Flame.

All of those are very nice guitars. The 3 things you need to consider are what Neck profile you like, and what Woods you like.

Neck-Wise, the 1527 a little thinner than the S7320. I'm not entirely sure how it compares to the Apex 2 or Xiphos. Of All of the guitars I listed though, the Ibby's are going to have the thinnest necks. Also, the S7320 only has 22 frets. The 1527 is Basswood, and the other three ibby's are mahogany. All have Rosewood Fingerboards.
The S7320's Neck is Maple and Bubinga, the Xiphos's is Maple Walnut, the RG1527's is Maple and Wenge, and the Apex 2's is straight Maple. The S7320 has a zero Resistance Trem and Ibanez AH7 Pickups. The Xiphos has Dimarzio D-Activator 7's, A Gibralter Fixed Bridge, and Neck Through Body Construction (the other's are bolt on). The 1527 has an Edge Pro 7 Bridge, and Ibanez V7-7 and V8-7 Pickups. The Apex 2 has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge and Dimarzio PAF-7 pickups.

The two ESP's I mentioned Differentiate in scale length only I believe--the SC607 is 25.5", and the SC607B is 27. The Ibby's I believe are 25.5", and the Schecter's are 26.5". The two ESP's are Maple neck-through, Mahogany Wings, Tune-O-Matic Bridges, EMG 707 Pickups, and Rosewood Fretboards. The neck on these is a little bit thicker than the ibanez necks.

The schecters, BC's, and Carvins have pretty thick necks, but they are comfortable. The Loomis has an Ash Body with a set maple neck with maple fretboard, an OFR7, and EMG 707 Pickups. The Hellraiser has a Mahogany body with a set Mahogany Neck and a Rosewood Fretboard. It also has an OFR7 and EMG 707's. Also, both schecter's are available with Tune-O-Matic Bridges. Also, the Schecter Set Neck's joint looks and feels identical to a through neck joint. Many people get confused and believe they have through neck guitars, but they are set necks. Both have a 26.5" scale.

Carvin's are extremely variable--you give them the specs that you want and order it, or buy one with the specs someone else wanted. They have relatively thick necks, neck through body construction, and Carvin pickups. The pickups are rather difficult to replace, as they are routed a tad smaller than other 7 string pickups. The wood for the body, neck , and fingerboard is up to the purchaser, as is the bridge type. Carvin DC747&DC727 both have a 25.5" scale I believe.

USA BC Rich's are also made for the customer. Mine has a BC Rich 7 string Trem, Dimarzio Blaze Pickups, Mahogany Body, Maple Neck, Ebony Fingerboard. It has a neck comparable to the schecters, though through body instead of set. Mine has a 25.5" scale.

Finally, there's the Agile Interceptor Pro. It has a Mahogany Body with Flame maple top, Maple Neck Through, Ebony Fretboard, EMG 707's and an LFR7, with a 25.5" scale. I've never played one so I can't say more than that.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jun 6, 2008,
RG1527 or S7320 with a pup-change no doubt about it. Bareknuckle's will give you that versatility no problem, they've got a pretty helpful forum on their website that'll answer all you questions for which pickups, wiring etc.
which barenuckle pickups? and what about the pickups i've suggested?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Chris Broderick Typically uses a custom shop Ibanez, not a 1527. However, Francesco Fareri uses a 1527.

he does have a custom Ibanez but he does use his 1527 and 7321's. well recently hes been using his custom Ibanez a lot but before he got it thats what he played.

which barenuckle pickups? and what about the pickups i've suggested?

Chris uses a Nailbomb set.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You could always get a Xiphos, I'm getting one of those soon, but then again, Rusty Cooley has a dean sig that is freaking amazing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by TheShred201
Yeah, but it's 3 grand new, and you aren't gonna find a used one for a long time.

Umung, now that I think about it, I actually do remember some videos where broderick used a 1527. His custom is so... that it overshadows it imo...

True, it just came out didnt it?

Oh, and listen to this guy TS. He knows his seven strings, trust me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by ugmung
Chris uses a Nailbomb set.

Actually he always uses a Cold Sweat in the neck and in the bridge it's either a Nailbomb, Cold Sweat or Mule depending on the guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
thanks... I figure i'll get the RG1527 cause it has 24 frets and i'm used to Ibanez necks. and it has an OFR.

i still don't know which pickups to put in though. I'm not really fanatical on Chris Broderick's tone so I'll decide against the bareknuckles.

I'm not sure between the Seymour Duncan Jazz and the DiMarzio Air Nortons which to choose for the neck, and between the D Sonic or D Activator in the bridge.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by valennic
True, it just came out didnt it?

Oh, and listen to this guy TS. He knows his seven strings, trust me.

i hope you're not talking about me.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Psychedelico
thanks... I figure i'll get the RG1527 cause it has 24 frets and i'm used to Ibanez necks. and it has an OFR.

i still don't know which pickups to put in though. I'm not really fanatical on Chris Broderick's tone so I'll decide against the bareknuckles.

I'm not sure between the Seymour Duncan Jazz and the DiMarzio Air Nortons which to choose for the neck, and between the D Sonic or D Activator in the bridge.

Ibanez Edge Pro =/= OFR
I can't help too much with pickups. I don't know nearly as much about them as guitars/amps...
Oh woops. I call all the trems that I remember as good OFR often by mistake.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
It happens, so no problem.

By the way, don't base your decision on Chris's tone on his pickups unless you are using an Engl Powerball. They sound different through different amps, and that amp has a somewhat distinct tone, which you may not be a fan of.
Quote by TheShred201

Carvin's are extremely variable--you give them the specs that you want and order it, or buy one with the specs someone else wanted. They have relatively thick necks, neck through body construction, and Carvin pickups. The pickups are rather difficult to replace, as they are routed a tad smaller than other 7 string pickups. The wood for the body, neck , and fingerboard is up to the purchaser, as is the bridge type. Carvin DC747&DC727 both have a 25.5" scale I believe.

Carvin doesn't offer any optional neck radii for their 7 string models. As far as thickness, it is a whole lot slimmer than shecter, and a bit more round than Ibanez.

As for versatility, I dont' think you will be able to beat Carvin. Price wise, if you're modest about features, you should keep it under $1,500. The biggest addition to the starting price is the top and finish. If you go with tung oil and natural finish you save big compared to a burst, quilt, etc... Although, I do believe you should go all out and get the Carvin you really want if of course you go that route.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I never said they offered neck radii choices (they are set at 14").

Yeah, My potential carvin was decked out in features and ended somewhere between 1600 and 1700. Though that was originally when I wanted flame koa top...now I'm digging dragon burst on quilted maple
oh yeah. i forgot about that. i plan to use a mesa/boogie Mark IV... you think anybody would have a sound clip for somebody running a guitar equiped with bareknuckles through one of those?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you