I am a guitarist who would love to be in the music industry. I'm not talking about being in a big band even though I would love that to happen. But what I mena is like producing albums and stuff. What classes shuld I take. I'm in high school by the way so many doors are still open. DO I need to learn music theory and all that or what?
classes would only be secondary, what you would want to do is get involved in your local music scene, spend time in recording studio, go to shows, meet as many people as possible, learn a skill relative to the music industry
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
Quote by twittch
classes would only be secondary, what you would want to do is get involved in your local music scene, spend time in recording studio, go to shows, meet as many people as possible, learn a skill relative to the music industry

He's right.

It has so much to do with luck and who you know.
Quote by deanfreak93
?????????

^ Berklee is one of the best music schools in the country.

Right now I'm in the music industry program at SUNY Oneonta and it's awesome. There isn't much you have to do to prepare, except get as involved as you can locally so you have a better understanding of how stuff works in real life. Also, make sure your grades are top notch, because it's not exactly easy to get into a good college nowadays. Theory can help, but you can always learn it later. Then again, the more you know about music and how everything works, the better, especially if you want to produce. Start learning stuff on your own, do research online and learn how microphones work, what all the technical stuff means on spec sheets for amps and guitars, and most importantly- LEARN TO USE PRO TOOLS. Do it now, and you'll be very far ahead once you get into school. If you want to produce, you absolutely must know your way around a digital studio, and Pro Tools is the way to go.

Edit: To the guy above me, it really isn't all luck and who you know. In fact, half the time, people think they know the right guys, when in fact they're the complete wrong people to know. Here's a hint: knowing the band doesn't mean jack. Get to know promoters, producers, sound guys, etc. Those are the people you have to get in with, not band members. They'll come to you on their own most of the time. Also, luck isn't as big as you may think, you don't need it if you have talent. Talent gets recognized in the business, and I don't mean how well you play guitar. I mean people skills etc.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 5, 2008,
it's not who you know...it's who you blow you get me...

joke... i dunno rli good luck neway