I've tried to ignore the high E string but I want to play this correctly.... Any advice on finger positioning? Thanks a lot.

Or you can use your ring finger on the high E string, your index on the A string, and your middle finger on the bottom E string.
Middle Finger on low E, index on 2nd fret A string, pinky on 3rd fret high E. Make sure your pinky isn't touching the b string (the one next to it) and that your holding the strings down with enough strength

Edit: another popular one but one I rarely use is ring finger on low E, middle finger on A and pinky on high E. Makes transitions to C chord quite easy but I usually play a 4 fingered G (look at my original post above but add your ring finger to 3rd fret B string.. it make the G chord sound much stronger and moves well to Cadd9 which is like one of my favorite chords)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Last edited by horazonblade at Jun 5, 2008,
Hey thanks a lot, it seems that practise makes perfect so I'll just work it with the ring finger... I think that suits me better. Thanks a lot
I would play it like that :
Middle Finger on the G (Low E-String)
Index Finger on the B (A-String)
Pinky on the G (High E-String)

E|-3-| Pinky
B|-0-|
G|-0-|
D|-0-|
A|-2-| Index
E|-3-| Middle

Err.....Way too slow
Quote by ingames
Hey thanks a lot, it seems that practise makes perfect so I'll just work it with the ring finger... I think that suits me better. Thanks a lot

honestly... you should learn to play this chord with your pinky on the high e, not your ring finger.

there isn't anything wrong with learning to play it with your ring finger, but you definitely need to be able to play it with your pinky. so learn it with your pinky to start off, then after you have that mastered, feel free to play it with your ring finger if you want. you'll see pretty quickly (~6 months) that it is much easier to switch from G major to most other chords using your pinky on the high e... plus you need to get used to using your pinky. don't avoid the pinky, you'll be sorry later on.
Quote by jimtaka
honestly... you should learn to play this chord with your pinky on the high e, not your ring finger.

there isn't anything wrong with learning to play it with your ring finger, but you definitely need to be able to play it with your pinky. so learn it with your pinky to start off, then after you have that mastered, feel free to play it with your ring finger if you want. you'll see pretty quickly (~6 months) that it is much easier to switch from G major to most other chords using your pinky on the high e... plus you need to get used to using your pinky. don't avoid the pinky, you'll be sorry later on.

Listen to him. He speaks the truth, like usual.
^Agree with jimtaka. You can't hide from using the pinky. You will soon encounter chords that require the use of both ring and pinky - then what are you going to do? Your pinky needs to be up to the challenge!
you should learn to play this chord with your pinky on the high e, not your ring finger

Absolutely. It will make chord changes like these much smoother:

-3-1------3-3-
-0-0------0-1-
-0-0------0-0-
-0-0------0-2-
-2-2------2-0-
-3-3------3-3-
 G G7     G Am7/G

As well as leaving your index finger free which will make things easier if the next chord is a barre chord.
The sooner you learn how to use the pinky the better. Otherwise forget about most barre chords.