so i went down to my practice space the other day only to find a few of my bandmates and their girlfriends screaming into my brand new b-52 at100 half stack. i was a bit irritated by it and eventually had to cut the party short and turn them off.

so i was wondering if i overreacted in the situation, could this have hurt my amp in any way or is it perfectly safe for my equipment to run vocals through it.
Your speakers will be fine.

Also: way to be a jerk to your bandmates. They should kick you out.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
I dont think it would hurt the speakers any more than loud guitar would but i also dont think your a jerk for not wanting people ****ing with something you had to work hard to buy.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I dont think it would hurt the speakers any more than loud guitar would but i also dont think your a jerk for not wanting people ****ing with something you had to work hard to buy.

Agreed.

I get pretty angry if someone touches my gutair without asking, and i get angry if they mess the strap up :P

You paid for it, so it's yours, and its not easily replaceable, imo, you were justified.
fail.... so badly failed..... yes it COULD hurt it, but it probably didn't. guitar amps aren't meant to be used for vocals, long story short they don't handle the natural wavelengths of the human voice real well and it can destroy the speakers over a period of time.
^ Thats news to me i thought a guitars range was higher than a screaming human but apparently theres more than just range as z4twenny has enlightened us. So all the more reason that you were correct in stopping their shinnanigans.
^ the human voice has a lower range and natural low end tones than a guitar. imagine playing a bass through a guitar amp.... you will destry the guitar amp with a bass over time. now you CAN sing into a bass amp because bass amp cabs are made to handle a wider Hz range.
I doubt high frequencies can damage a guitar amp, I use my whammy on octave up mode all the time.

I would suspect that extremely few people can hit an E1, most people with very deep voices probably couldn't get down to C2, which is quite a common bottom end pitch for downtuned guitar.

I'm also not sure that it's not primarily the pitch that makes basses through electric amps harmful, perhaps it's some kind of electronic element?

The kind of microphone they will have used probably doesn't cover enough of the low end frequency spectrum to do any real harm, but prolonged use would increase the chance of damage, esp. when cranked.

But that's my somewhat confused and eschewed two cents
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I doubt high frequencies can damage a guitar amp, I use my whammy on octave up mode all the time.

I would suspect that extremely few people can hit an E1, most people with very deep voices probably couldn't get down to C2, which is quite a common bottom end pitch for downtuned guitar.

I'm also not sure that it's not primarily the pitch that makes basses through electric amps harmful, perhaps it's some kind of electronic element?

The kind of microphone they will have used probably doesn't cover enough of the low end frequency spectrum to do any real harm, but prolonged use would increase the chance of damage, esp. when cranked.

I can get down to Db2 and I don't think I have a particularly deep voice.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The pitch doesn't really have much to do with it. What could cause damage would more likely be the natural reinforcement of harmonics, which is different to all instruments, and the sound envelope, which is again different to all instruments. All electric guitars have essentially the same harmonic reinforcement and sound envelope which is why they all sound reasonably like each other, while the human voice has a completely different sound envelope and harmonic reinforcement, which is why it doesn't sound like a guitar. The same principal is why basses can damage gat amps.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.