I was doing the chord progression in the basic lessons
it goes G D A D

i can't seem to get my fingers from not hitting the F sharp on the little e
any tips to help my technique?
Dude, just practice it over and over and you'll get a hang on iy
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
G > D is easy if you keep your ring finger in the same place as you move the index and middle finger.
A > D is a little trickier, but you slide the ring finger up a fret and move the index and middle as you would have done on the first chord change

edit: for D > A just do the second manouvre in reverse.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
on what chord are u having this problem, and what sort of d is it, if its a d major thenits suppose to sound. just keep playing chord changes, ive had lots of problems changing from b7 to basically everything and the fc hord, eventually you wont have troulbe changing between any chords
D Major chord? Your supposed to hit the F# on the high e string...
I'll assumng you mean Dsus2 (no, I'm not trying to be a prick by saying that). So you have your index on the A on the G string, and your middle finger on the D on the B string right? Shouldn't be too difficult to prevent your middle finger from touching the F#, assuming that that is, in fact, the problem. You can even rest it on the B string just behind your middle finger if necessary.
Quote by mattvl
D Major chord? Your supposed to hit the F# on the high e string....

he just said he is doing that
Quote by pepsi1187
he just said he is doing that

He said he can't keep from doing that, or at least it sounds like he's trying to prevent himself from hitting that note.

Quote by Carnae839
i can't seem to get my fingers from not hitting the F sharp on the little e any tips to help my technique?
I'm assuming you mean open D-
e| 2
B| 3
G| 2
D| 0

those should all ring out- this was one of the first chords I learned...I had a problem with this also. keep practicing and it'll work itself out.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
Quote by mattvl
He said he can't keep from doing that, or at least it sounds like he's trying to prevent himself from hitting that note.

He means he can't keep his other fingers from being too flat and muting the high e.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well then, to start off, what fingers are you using?
2-middle
3-ring
2-index

Next, make sure your arm is intersecting the neck at somewhere near a right angle. Alot of my students start off trying to play with their forearms at a 30 degree or so angle to the neck, which makes it very difficult to play. After that, make sure the guitar is sitting high on your knee, or pointed upward, similar to classical players, so that you can reach around far enough to have your fingers hit the fretboard at a high angle.
mattvl is correct thats the chord i'm doing
the problem was my ring finger was muting the middle finger, so the 2 wasnt ringing

i suppose the fix is practice practice practice =P
ahh, so i am right, i felt stupid for a second the f # should sound!