Page 1 of 2
hey guys i have a gibson sg or epiphone g400. not sure which becuase it says epiphone up top - not slanted, and the placard that usually says 'SG' at the top of the neck says 'GIBSON'. any clue?
I'm assuming you bought used... I recall that some higher- end MIJ Epi's have the "Gibson" logo on the truss rod cover (could be totally wrong about this). The other possibility is that the previous owner just bought a Gibson truss rod cover.

Pics? If the top of the headstock says "Epiphone", it's definitely an Epi, but it might be something nicer than a G-400.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'm assuming you bought used... I recall that some higher- end MIJ Epi's have the "Gibson" logo on the truss rod cover (could be totally wrong about this). The other possibility is that the previous owner just bought a Gibson truss rod cover.

Pics? If the top of the headstock says "Epiphone", it's definitely an Epi, but it might be something nicer than a G-400.

Eh, I'm pretty sure my Epi LP-100 and my cheap Epi acoustic both say Gibson on the truss rod covers.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, they do. It's just an Epiphone, I believe.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 5, 2008,
yeah its just an epi, no doubt about it.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by TheProducer
Eh, I'm pretty sure my Epi LP-100 and my cheap Epi acoustic both say Gibson on the truss rod covers.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, they do. It's just an Epiphone, I believe.

Yeah... even the LP Special II's say Gibson.

...so it appears I WAS totaly wrong.
I get what the TS means though, on the Epiphone site the SG shows "SG" on the truss rod cover. Either way, it's an Epiphone. Like this:

Loads of Epis have Gibson-branded truss rod covers - recent ones, anyway
Yep, it's on a ton of epi truss rod covers. why, you ask? because quite a while ago Gibson bought epiphone, and they like to flaunt the connection between the two brands.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by strat212
Yep, it's on a ton of epi truss rod covers. why, you ask? because quite a while ago Gibson bought epiphone, and they like to flaunt the connection between the two brands.

Quite a while ago?? Yea 50-some years ago... I would definitely say that was quite a while ago lol.
its pretty old btw. diff pick ups than the ones the new g400s have. mine are black with silver dots going across them and my fret board has dotted markings rather than the rectangular ones. idk that much bout guitars, just curious if that makes it any different
Quote by rockstaarr2233
its pretty old btw. diff pick ups than the ones the new g400s have. mine are black with silver dots going across them and my fret board has dotted markings rather than the rectangular ones. idk that much bout guitars, just curious if that makes it any different

Could have been swapped. Sounds like just different pickup covers.
hmmm...so its an epiphone. i was just curious cuz mine looks so much different than the current g400s.

meant to ask - did the g400 model change over the years?
Quote by rockstaarr2233
hmmm...so its an epiphone. i was just curious cuz mine looks so much different than the current g400s.

meant to ask - did the g400 model change over the years?

Post some pics. Maybe someone just changed some cosmetic stuff.
It's a Special. It has to be with the dots. Pics will make it definite.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
It's a Special. It has to be with the dots. Pics will make it definite.

Could it not just be a regular one with black pickup covers instead as well?

For pics, you need a Photobucket or similar account. Then use the little "insert image" button with the link to the pic.
Quote by TheProducer
Could it not just be a regular one with black pickup covers instead as well?

For pics, you need a Photobucket or similar account. Then use the little "insert image" button with the link to the pic.

It couldn't be a G-400. They have trapezoid inlays I believe.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
It couldn't be a G-400. They have trapezoid inlays I believe.

Sorry, I missed the thing about the inlays. I thought the whole post was about the pickups.
wats the headstock? i know its sumin i should know hehe

EDIT: just looked it up. yea the corners are sort of "cut off" into a slight inward curve.
Last edited by rockstaarr2233 at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
yeah the headstock looks epiphone to me.

Oh, it's definitely an Epi.

I think now the argument is what Epi it is. He said it was the G-400, but it looks like a custom for sure.
310 with that scratch plate and open

although it sorta looks like the G-400custom in a faded wood sorta finish and i've seen a few of those but they had covered pickups,

so yeah, sorry, just an epiphone.

most likely a 310

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom Horn at Jun 5, 2008,
my bad, its the one with the "61 scratch plate, sorry, its twenty past 12 am here and its been a long day lol

so its a G400 of sorts then lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
... I recall that some higher- end MIJ Epi's have the "Gibson" logo on the truss rod cover (could be totally wrong about this). ....

The curious thing is that some MIJ Epis show Gibson but not all. Here's an Epi SG:

lol so from what you all have told me, my guitar is some bizarre form of a g400...ill have to do some more research lol
Quote by Ippon
The curious thing is that some MIJ Epis show Gibson but not all. Here's an Epi SG:

Sorry, I didn't get that sentence...
sry. what i was tryin to say is : from what you guys have told me, my guitar is some strange form of an epi g400- i will have to do more research to figure out which one exactly though
Quote by TheProducer
Sorry, I didn't get that sentence...

The truss rod covers of some MIJ Epi SGs and LPs say Gibson and some truss rod covers say something else.

For example, the MIJ Epi Elitist (sold in the US and Europe) says Gibson, while the MIJ Epi Elite for the domestic Japanese market only says something else:

tbh, to me that looks like a 310 or a special, its kinda hard to tell with the pictures, get better lighting.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Page 1 of 2