Well, I'm looking into setting up a bit of a recording rig in my bedroom, and I figure this is the best forum for this thread. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm looking to you guys for advice on what to get.

Here's what I'll need, and some other specs:
- Mic (this is going to be for guitar only, no vocals or anything else)
- Mic Stand
- Some kind of low-latency recording interface (can be an external USB device or a new sound card, my current PC has onboard audio; doesn't need to come with digital FX or anything like that)
- Any necessary cables
- Budget is in the $300-400 USD range.
- Will be recording tracks using Audacity.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
+ 1 on the above. The Toneport comes with Ableton Live Lite, so you would probably use that instead of Audacity.
just a quick question. Can the Shure SM-58 do a good job on recording guitars and bass? My father has a ton of those since he rents PA's, and I saw that you people recommend the SM-57 more.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
First off, the R&R page is the proper place for recording questions...I'll have this moved.

You need an interface, computer, mic, cables, stands, and time/money...oh, and software.

Here are my suggestions:

E-MU 0202 USB2.0 interface

You cant go wrong with the versatile Shure SM57

Musicians Gear Lo-Z XLR Microphone Cable I use these without any problem, they have been working for months now.

Pick up any type of stand, I like the 3 way adjustable boom type.

Software - Cakewalk sonar is nice and they have some lower priced ones to offer. I would tend to go with them but im a Sonar fan.
Audacity is nice, you just have to have the proper gear for it and this setup will work without a problem.
The thing is Audacity is more of an editor, not a recorder so you are limited to what you can do. Reaper is a nice software for a great price and can really do a lot once you learn it. Check that out as well.

Tweaks guide will run you though all you need to know, see that in my sig.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by BoogieManMKD
just a quick question. Can the Shure SM-58 do a good job on recording guitars and bass? My father has a ton of those since he rents PA's, and I saw that you people recommend the SM-57 more.

The 57 and 58 are both great mics but they are also very similar.
the 58 has on board pop filter for live use.

for bass its best to DI to the board as you need a good mic to get low end sounds.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by BoogieManMKD

Like said, the two mics are almost identical. Just take off the grille on it and use it like you would a 57. You should get pretty much the same results.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I really like my M-Audio Pre Usb... Has two inputs just in case you do get a second mic and it has zero latency...

Mic go with a sm57 or the EV Co4 (57 clone for a bit cheaper).. Also I have owned both and i prefered the clone..
Quote by GibsonStrat87
Mic: Shure SM57.

Mic Stand: Doesn't really matter, just get one that works.

Intrerface: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

Should come out to be about $250, maybe less. Hope that helps!

It'd also be a good idea to get one of these bad boys with the leftover money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-10INPUT-STEREO-MIXER?sku=630138

Not necessary though if you just want to get things done rather than go for quality.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I really like my M-Audio Pre Usb... Has two inputs just in case you do get a second mic and it has zero latency...

+1

on the box it says low latency 5-10 ms, but personally if there is a latency i can't hear it at ALL. i think it might say 5-10 ms just incase you get it and hook it up to a dinosaur of a computer.