Hello all,

Im looking into getting a new amp with my grad money and I'm not entirely sure witch of these two I want to get, I play a mix of everything rock, metal, alt, blues. If you could tell me pros/cons and differences in the two it would be much appreciated.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
The hot rod has a more modern voicing and has 3 channels. So the hot rod would be better for the styles you play
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
I had the hot rod and it was amazing

some people think that you need a nice overdrive because its overdrive lacks, but you can't beat the clean channel

also, if you're into modding, omega amps does a sick mod on it for like 250? that is supposed to make the amp unbeatable
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the the circuitry for the two is the same, save the "more gain" switch. I prefer the blues amps though, I love the tweed look.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Thanks for the input everyone I think I'm going to go ahead with the Hot Rod, it seems a little more versatile.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
I'd go for the Blues over the Hot Rod, but being that you like playing some heavier music, I think you'd be better off with the Peavey Classic 50. No matter which you decide upon, the 2x12 model would be better suited for heavier tones as well. It's also cheaper and easier to replace two 12's than four 10's should you ever decide to upgrade.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I use to have a hot rodded deville, but unfortunately it does not handle anything above classic rock very well. I had to use a metal muff to drive it to hard rock and metal sounds but the tone was so off... Maybe with an overdrive pedal, but i never had an opportunity to try one out.

if you play mostly blues or classic rock then go for it, but if you play more rock my opinion is to find a better amp... but i never played the blues so cant really say
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by slatsmania
I'd go for the Blues over the Hot Rod, but being that you like playing some heavier music, I think you'd be better off with the Peavey Classic 50. No matter which you decide upon, the 2x12 model would be better suited for heavier tones as well. It's also cheaper and easier to replace two 12's than four 10's should you ever decide to upgrade.

I totally agree with you slats. A Peavey Classic 50 (I think) has better stock overdrive than the Hot Rod.

As far as a comparison between the two, the Blues is a whole lot warmer on both the clean and dirty channels. The main difference though, is the fact that the Hot Rod has an extra gain channel.
Quote by imgooley
I totally agree with you slats. A Peavey Classic 50 (I think) has better stock overdrive than the Hot Rod.

Quote by imgooley
As far as a comparison between the two, the Blues is a whole lot warmer on both the clean and dirty channels. The main difference though, is the fact that the Hot Rod has an extra gain channel.

Seems that most users find the "more gain" on the HRD to be pretty useless. I wouldn't buy the amp with that feature in mind.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah the 'more gain' on my HRDx is pretty fizzy and horrible. I've only found it usable as a solo boost on low drive settings (~3/12). Some of the fizz can be taken out with an EQ pedal - but then tends to sound a bit dead.
For cleans and slightly dirty blues it's a great amp for the price but for rock etc. you're better off with something like the Peavey.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
They're both great amps, but are you sure you need 60 tube watts? The Deluxe versions of these amps are both 1x12s and are very loud themselves. As for distinguishing between Hot Rod and Blues, the Hot Rod has an extra channel that is pretty much useless (as people have said above). The Blues is a bit more expensive and people claim it has a better clean tone and attribute this to the lack of a "More Drive" channel.

I'd AB the two and decide for yourself which one's right for you. Who knows, you might even like the "More Drive" channel on the Hot Rod.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and love it to pieces, your strat will sound AMAZING on it I only use the clean channel though. For distortion, if you're playing anything above light blues, get a new pedal. Your DS-1 probably can't handle metal. I'm not sure about the Blues, but the Hot Rod takes pedals very well.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior