I'm looking to buy a P-90 pick-up for the neck and something hotter to put in the bridge.
I plan to use the p-90 mostly for clean, bluesy styles and the bridge humbucker (yes, it must be a humbucker, and for some reason, I love how zebra 'buckers look) with distortion/overdrive.
I was thinking of buying this P-90.
I play a Les Paul style guitar and mostly Rock/Classic Rock/Hard Rock/Punk/Alt Rock/Grunge/Blues Rock/Funk Rock.
I don't plan on buying a new guitar or amp, so don't post that. I am saving for a Les Paul Studio and Marshall Tube. Until then, this is just a pick-up upgrade.
I live in Ireland, by the way, so preferably no overseas shipping.
Any suggestions?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
you wont notice the differnence so you might as well put the cash towards the amp BUT

cheapo option: GFS, bags of choice

moderate option: swineshead, good selection and ANY colour you want

expensive option: BKP. sound killer. end of.

sensible option: put the cash towards the amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Do you have any objections to Europian online shops? I live in Ireland and had the same quibbles. But I found this awesome place www.thomann.de
It has loads of pickups to choose from and you can then put the ones that look good to you in the search bar in Google and in the UG forums and see what comes up. I know I didn't help directly, I can't really, but you will be hard pushed to find the pickup that you want (unless its a really popular one) in a shop in Ireland. I can never find what I want here.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Do you have any objections to Europian online shops? I live in Ireland and had the same quibbles. But I found this awesome place www.thomann.de

Nope, in fact, I ordered my guitar from www.MusicStoreKoeln.de .
I will check Thomann, but PU's and HB's are very expensive new.
Did anyone check the link? I think for the price, it would be worth it. Oh, and I don't want to go top of the line, I'm only a student. I just want bang for buck.

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

cheapo option: GFS, bags of choice
moderate option: swineshead, good selection and ANY colour you want
expensive option: BKP. sound killer. end of.

Ok I've checked each
GFS
Swineshead
BKP

But I've only got enough for one of the first two, sadly.
Is there much difference? GFS is only half the price, and I don't really care about colour. Which would you recommend? My guitar is actually slightly higher quality than an Epi LP Standard, and just overlook the amp for a second. I've had my guitar for a year and a half and have been playing for three years. I want to get the bloody stock pickups out and replace them with something more versatile, thus, the p-90/HB combination. Any of these pickups are better quality than my stock ones (you know what cheap stock pu's are like!)

You know, just to say, a P-90 won't fit into a humbucker slot. Thus, I assume that you're either already know this and are going for a humbucker-sized P-90, or routing the guitar to fit one, or possibly your guitar already accepts as much.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
You know, just to say, a P-90 won't fit into a humbucker slot. Thus, I assume that you're either already know this and are going for a humbucker-sized P-90, or routing the guitar to fit one, or possibly your guitar already accepts as much.

Haha, yes, I've just looked at that p-90 I linked to and I'm glad I posted here. You're right! What was I thinking . Yes, I mean a 'bucker size p-90.
My current picks:
Mean P-90 Black Nickel
Vintage 59 Zebra Humbucker

in all honesty, a different type of pup, sure, but a better one of the same type, pointless

guitarfetish do not one but two HB sized P-90s, which will drop straight into the original slot. swineshead do a HB sized single i think and BKP do a mississippi queen P-90 which is HB sized i think.
Yeah, I like the look of the "Mean" p-90. It's high bass and treble, and in a sweet looking black nickel finish. I'd love the BKP one but, it's too good for the guitar and WAAY out of my price range.

Could you get a Frusciante (RHCP) clean sound from a p-90 (Like Zephyr song or Can't Stop)
I know he uses a telecaster on both of those recordings.
Also, what type of pickup would you reccommend for a Matt Bellamy (Muse) kind of sound. I know his guitars are custom Mansons, one of a kind.

yea im thinking about some mean 90s for my semi acoustic

bellamy's tone comes mainly from his £3000 amps

BKP nailbomb in the bridge is favoured along with the odd BKP P-90 for the distortion, and a fuzz factory of course. those 3 items are £100 each though

depending on your guitar a P-90 would probably come close to most of froosh's sounds especially if you have a single coil or a split HB to mix in there
Ok thanks! I think I'll get these for the bridge (Vintage 59s):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310Rk9foIpo

And for the neck, the Mean P-90s.

I will then start saving for a good tube amp. How does Marshall TSL60 combo sound?

its a bit meh as tube amps go, the lower marshall tubes arent fab, you could do lots better for the money

i'd make a thread in GGnA, with your genres and budget, theres some real experts over there.
yo could you post again once you get your GFS pickups? I've been interested in those exact pickups for a while now and i'd like to hear from someone who's played them.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
yo could you post again once you get your GFS pickups? I've been interested in those exact pickups for a while now and i'd like to hear from someone who's played them.

......you know, actually, I am as well. Also count me in for wanting info.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Ok, but it probably won't be 'til the end of the month. I have exams now and mum said I could order them after the 16th (when they end).
Thanks for the sound advice guys, really appreciate it.
I might post some recordings of my MG sometime too. They're not actually as bad as they're made out to be. I know a couple of guys who are uber awesome on guitar and when they plugged into my amp they were like "Wow, Thats not bad for a transistor!".
I'll post again when I have them. Maybe with recordings if my band finally decides to buy a mixer...

the MG100 combo makes a good keyboard amp

cleans are tolerable on the bigger versions.

gd luck with the exams too!
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the MG100 combo makes a good keyboard amp

cleans are tolerable on the bigger versions.

gd luck with the exams too!

Actually, if you mix the clean with the built in chorus and reverb, it's very tolerable.

Ok, one last question.
Ive chosen these pickups:
Bridge Neck

Could I wire the bridge humbucker for coil tapping? If so, what do I need?

Quote by JMcG92
Ok, one last question.
Ive chosen these pickups:
Bridge Neck

Could I wire the bridge humbucker for coil tapping? If so, what do I need?

yea, all GFS HBs are 4 conductor, all you need is a switch.

i'd go for a SPDT (centre off) so you can have either coil.

black goes to one lug, and on to the volume pot/switch

red and white go to the middle

green goes to the other one and then on to earth

bare goes to earth
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
yea, all GFS HBs are 4 conductor, all you need is a switch.

i'd go for a SPDT (centre off) so you can have either coil.

black goes to one lug, and on to the volume pot/switch

red and white go to the middle

green goes to the other one and then on to earth

bare goes to earth

And could I still use it as a humbucker in the middle position?
Could I use this switch? http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/usastlespato1.html

Last edited by JMcG92 at Jun 7, 2008,
Yes Ok, but what I mean is can I configure it so:
Up: Top Pickup
Middle: Humbucker
Down: Bottom Pickup