After the advice I got from this forum, and trying out guitars on my own. I have decided to get a Peavey Valveking 212 and a Jackson RR3 Rhoads. Or have I? After hearing good things, and seeing the specs, the ESP V 500 is starting to look like a really good guitar. All I want to know is, will it be any better than the Jackson RR3? I was lloking for Megadeth tone, and the Jackson was good, but will the ESP be better? Also, what is a "U" shaped neck? I know about "C" shaped necks (strats etc.) but what is "U"? Anyways, please give me some feedback on the V 500, and if it would be worth checking out.
I don't know anything about the Jackson, but I was thinking about the RR3 until I sat down with it. Most uncomfortable thing ever to sit down and play, heard it takes weeks to get used to it. Make sure you've played sitting down with it before you buy it, if you do decide on the RR3.
Well, the LTD has EMGs whereas the Jackson has SDs. Huge difference in sound there, so its totally up to you which you prefer. And also, the RR3 has an LFR whereas the V-500 is hardtail. Totally different, and again its up to you whether you want the trem or not. And the V-500 also has 24 frets over the RR3s 22. If i were you, i would go for the V-500. Megadeth don't rely heavily on trems, and a few of the solos require the 24th fret and i hate the bolt-on heel of the RR3, gets in the way when i try and play on the higher frets. But still, its totally up to you. Try them both out and see which you prefer.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
the v 500 is epic a freind of mine has it but it is geared more towards teh 6r00t41 end of the musical spectrum it is great for really heavy **** but id say its to much for megadeth but that really dpends on every other aspect of your gear and playing
personally id get the v500 put thats just me

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
the mustaine custom is based on the ESP V so ud get a better megadeath tone from the ESP im betting but its really ur call
Quote by TisPyon
the mustaine custom is based on the ESP V so ud get a better megadeath tone from the ESP im betting but its really ur call

not really they are just shaped similarly mostly diff spec.wise an entirely diff feel and a sound that differs completly

i have the select series RR and the sound for that is better for what you want but i personally like the v 500 more

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Jun 5, 2008,
If I was going to buy a guitar to get megadeth tone this is what id do. If you want to recreate tone from earlier albums (rust in peace, countdown, peace sells, ect.) Instead of getting a rr3, get a king v with duncans (JB and Jazz) . This set up was used by dave for those years. The Esp while still having the same body will differ becuase of the EMG's. I have the ESP DV-8 and while it does give good mustaine tone i Still Prefer the King v. The neck feels better, and That body shape is huge!!!! Im serious the Thing is hard to wield sitting down and standing up. Hope it helps.
The body on the esp is huge is what i meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote by tracerbeast
If I was going to buy a guitar to get megadeth tone this is what id do. If you want to recreate tone from earlier albums (rust in peace, countdown, peace sells, ect.) Instead of getting a rr3, get a king v with duncans (JB and Jazz) . This set up was used by dave for those years. The Esp while still having the same body will differ becuase of the EMG's. I have the ESP DV-8 and while it does give good mustaine tone i Still Prefer the King v. The neck feels better, and That body shape is huge!!!! Im serious the Thing is hard to wield sitting down and standing up. Hope it helps.
The body on the esp is huge is what i meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, the King V is out of my price range :P Unless I get the KVX10 and put in a TB4 and SH2 in it, but then I ahve to deal with the low grade tremolo.
Well in that case, id still go with the jackson. I mean the esp is great, but it feels kind of cheaply made. The tone is amazing but the neck is kind of garbage. Im about to sell it. Also the case for the esp will barely fit into a car. I have a honda and i have to slant the case to fit it into my backseat.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
the v 500 is epic a freind of mine has it but it is geared more towards teh 6r00t41 end of the musical spectrum it is great for really heavy **** but id say its to much for megadeth but that really dpends on every other aspect of your gear and playing
personally id get the v500 put thats just me

How thin is the neck? Is it like a stratocasters or thinner? Because the biggest selling point will be neck thinness.
Quote by tracerbeast
Well in that case, id still go with the jackson. I mean the esp is great, but it feels kind of cheaply made. The tone is amazing but the neck is kind of garbage. Im about to sell it. Also the case for the esp will barely fit into a car. I have a honda and i have to slant the case to fit it into my backseat.

Elaborate on the neck please. Is it slow? Is it too thick?
i personally hate FR's. I would only buy one (again...) if I needed it for a particular piece... which I don't and won't.

Either pick ups will be good, and I nevger really take the 24th fret into consideration. IMO you can do without, but it's nice to havem but not a deciding factor for me.

Basically comes down to the tremolo and which pick ups you prefer. It's all opinion dude, try em both out.
A bit of both, Its a little beefy, and the painted neck gets really hard to play when your hands get sweaty. Also it feels kinda hollow? I dont know how to explain it, its like there is no weight to the neck and my fingers are about to puncture the fingerboard. I guess what im trying to say is that it doesnt feel solid like a neck should. Its kind of like playing a cheap acoustic guitar (you know how lite the neck feels?) and then playing a martin (the neck is solid). I hate to say that just becuase of that neck its not a very inspiring guitar (even thought the guitarist who played it is).
Quote by Beebaboo
How thin is the neck? Is it like a stratocasters or thinner? Because the biggest selling point will be neck thinness.

the v500s neck is just as thin if not thinner then my RR is the neck also has a finish on it making it really smooth/ but i think the pickups will be an incredibly bad mix for your desired sound just to let you know again

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Jun 5, 2008,
both have there ups and downs.

rr3. this one come with the advantage/disadvantage of a fr. it also comes with the pickups you would want for a megadeth tone. it is a pain to sit with but still easier than the v-500.

v-500. this has less advantages for you. it is less top heavy due to more weight on the body. harder to sit with, and more expensive. (depending on what finish you want with the rr3) it has a better neck. a thin u helps with fast playing.

really it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Quote by Dimefan69

and what sound you would prefer and your moneterial limits

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by Dimefan69
both have there ups and downs.

rr3. this one come with the advantage/disadvantage of a fr. it also comes with the pickups you would want for a megadeth tone. it is a pain to sit with but still easier than the v-500.

v-500. this has less advantages for you. it is less top heavy due to more weight on the body. harder to sit with, and more expensive. (depending on what finish you want with the rr3) it has a better neck. a thin u helps with fast playing.

I am starting to lean toward the V 500. But the one user's horror story is starting to turn me away. How would the EMGs sound for soloing/getting that Marty Friedman sound?
Quote by Beebaboo
I am starting to lean toward the V 500. But the one user's horror story is starting to turn me away. How would the EMGs sound for soloing/getting that Marty Friedman sound?

i think they will be too much overall there are great for newer metal imo they are just too much
Quote by RichieKotzen
Specs don't equal playability

true as well but they give you an idea of what you are looking at

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by Beebaboo

if your using a valveking your probably going to use pedals. the onboard dist. is good but not totally for metal. in my expierience, if your using pedals, any pickup can be used. and one bad reveiw shouldn't change your mind. he just got a bad apple.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
i think they will be too much overall there are great for newer metal imo they are just too much

So then I guess I am back with the Jackson RR3.
Quote by Dimefan69
if your using a valveking your probably going to use pedals. the onboard dist. is good but not totally for metal. in my expierience, if your using pedals, any pickup can be used. and one bad reveiw shouldn't change your mind. he just got a bad apple.

True, but would the EMGs crushing tone compensate for poor distortion on the amp?
probably. so it might work better. plus if there is too much gain you can always turn it down on the amp.
Quote by Beebaboo
True, but would the EMGs crushing tone compensate for poor distortion on the amp?

actually hes has a point that i forgot about. the valve king so yeah id say you should get the V500. but play before you buy it to be sure

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by Beebaboo

It'd make the overdrive is crushing. xD

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On topic, have you actually played both guitars? This would definitely be the thing to do if possible, because their sound and feel is going to be completely different. I don't know about the ESP, but if your local GC is like mine, there are a bunch of RRs and VKs there all the time, you might as well test the guitar and amp together.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
yeah the best thing when getting new gear is to play closest to what your new setup would be as possible

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by Missingno476

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On topic, have you actually played both guitars? This would definitely be the thing to do if possible, because their sound and feel is going to be completely different. I don't know about the ESP, but if your local GC is like mine, there are a bunch of RRs and VKs there all the time, you might as well test the guitar and amp together.

yea. alot of guitar centers do have jackson. mine doesnt carry ltd guitars at all. thats a major issue. you cant play it.
you could find sum1 in ur area that has the v500 and play theirs

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by Missingno476

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I tested the guitar, but I couldn't figure our how to work the VK :P. I'm gonna go back there this weekend and see the tone. If the metal tone is good, I'll get the RR, if not, I'll look into the ESP. Here's the pros/cons I have so far:

RR3

Pros: I know the neck is comfortable, love the shape, nice headstock, great pickups that are used by Megadeth, I can sit with it pretty nicely, It's a Jackson, Sweet inlays, Floyd rose stayed out of my way and made a good fixed bridge, FRs really help my palm mute.

Cons: Bolt-on, I don't like the RR shape as much as the King V, only 22 frets.

V 500

Pros: I love the King V shape, EMGs will give great metal tone, Neck Through, 24 frets, String through gets rid of FR hassle.

Cons: Boring inlay, headstock is pityfully small and looks awkward, I am not very good with string throughs, EMGs seemed to be geared toward t3h br00tal "cookie monster" metal, EMGs seem awfully shallow and give no personality.
it seems to me like the rr3 is a WAY better choice for you. there is more pros in there. in actuality the rr3 does just look like your a better guitarist for just having it. lol. go with the rr3.
Quote by Dimefan69
it seems to me like the rr3 is a WAY better choice for you. there is more pros in there. in actuality the rr3 does just look like your a better guitarist for just having it. lol. go with the rr3.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the RR3. Great, now I wasted a whole thread :P At least I learned about Valveking's poor overdrive.