Heres a rough plan of what my racks going to be. Its only rough, I may change some things around but here it is for now-

Clicky on the links for more info.

Preamp- Engl E530

Poweramp- Peavey Classic 50/50 (used), theres normally one floating around on eBay. If not, either a used Mesa or a VHT 2/50/2

Then a Rocktron Xpression for effects and a Midi Mate to control the effects with. Probably get this second hand because its a rip-off for what it is.

Finally an essential tool, the Power Conditioner.

I'm going to get what I can used because racks can be very expensive if I'm not careful with my money.

So what do you guys think? Thoughts/opinions?
Cheers.
A power conditioner alone is not enough to have a consistent sound in every possible situation, for that you need a power regulator as well. But they cost a handful ($600 and up), unless you live in Europe than you can get a Dinopower for around € 300 which is a regulator & conditioner in one (sounds almost like a head & shoulders ad ).
For the rest I'd go for either a G-Major or a G-Force if you can spend that much money. But I guess that's just preference.
An equalizer might come in handy too, and a ISP noise gate.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Another UG building a rack! nice! I still need to finish mine.

Preamp - Haven't tried the ENGL, great brand in general though. However, their is usually a Carvin Quad-X floating around eBay somewhere, they're fairly cheap (anywhere from $400-$500) It's quite fantastic. I just got one, I'm using the power section of a Peavey Valveking. 4 channels, two clean, one crunch, one lead. All of which are awesome! Great other features include a fantastic noise gate built in, more looping options than you could possibly need, and NINE! pre-amp tubes.

FX - Most of Rocktron's products nowaday's is very digital and sterile. I'm using a TC Electronic G-Major, it's absolutley amazing. I still haven't tapped into all of it's features yet, and I'm blown away by the many parameters you can change, and the sheer quality of the effects.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'll try and respond to everything here-

Quote by IbanezPsycho
What type of music do you play?

I play progressive metal, but mt new band is metalcore. 7 string awesomeness, so I chose the Engl because the low-end and br00tal sound. Plus its kickass for the money.

Quote by Ventor
A power conditioner alone is not enough to have a consistent sound in every possible situation, for that you need a power regulator as well. But they cost a handful ($600 and up), unless you live in Europe than you can get a Dinopower for around € 300 which is a regulator & conditioner in one (sounds almost like a head & shoulders ad ).
For the rest I'd go for either a G-Major or a G-Force if you can spend that much money. But I guess that's just preference.
An equalizer might come in handy too, and a ISP noise gate.

Thats interesting, I'll look into that. And for FX, I tried a G major and I just didn't really like the layout of it, the Rocktron just felt better to me. Plus I've used Rocktron gear before so I know its reliable and whatever.

I'm getting the pedal noisegate, I think getting a rack one will just take up space and I don't want a huge rack... everything there is what I need, the other bits an pieces can just live in the pedalboard- like a noise gate and possibly an EQ.
Yea thats what i thought.. I would test out the preamp before you purchase it. I have heard its not so good on the modern stuff. Yes its says modern on the it but it states modern ROCK not modern METAL.. I was really looking at getting one for the longest, but alot of guys in other forums said it just cant hang when it comes to a full out metal assault. They said it can do rock and everything else perfectly but not metal. I imagine it responds much like a Valveking, meaning yes it can do it but its gonna take alot to push it there and it wont sound as good as the real thing...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 5, 2008,
Hey, I am currently trying to plan what I will put in my rack.

I too also plan on using a the engl 530 and the power amp I am gonna use is a Mesa 2:fifty, does that sound like a ok combo?
^^Hmm, thats interesting. While I was banned I was hanging out at Sevenstring.org and the Harmony central forums and I never heard a single bad thing aimed at the Engl, everyone thinks its great.

Yeah, I'll try it out first. Again, its strange because Engl is probably one of the most metal makes of amp out there, apart from maybe Framus or something. Cheers for the advice
^ from what i Hear most people never put the gain of a engl past 12 o clock.
Quote by jake911
Hey, I am currently trying to plan what I will put in my rack.

I too also plan on using a the engl 530 and the power amp I am gonna use is a Mesa 2:fifty, does that sound like a ok combo?

Yeah, sounds pretty decent (I'm assuming you play metal). I'd buy the Mesa used though. A poweramp doesn't affect your sound a huge amount so I personally wouldn't spend a lot (more than £500) on one.

Though saying that, you can't really go wrong with Mesa its quality stuff... if you're on a budget you might want to have another look around. Looks nice though!