OK, so I finally splashed out and bought myself a half decent guitar and a half decent amp after many moons of playing aweful Strat knock offs through little tinny sounding amps and now I am left with a mine field to negotiate.

Effects pedals.

I am a total idiot when it comes to accessories and as far as my knowledge goes they are just little colourfull boxes with knobs on them that supposedly do stuff to the sound your guitar makes, and that is the total of my wisdom.

I have loked through this awesome site for information about all kinds of pedals, what they do, and how to use them but have found zilch.

There are a LOT of experienced guitarists here and I am sure that one of them could easily fill the gap in this site by writing an "idiots guide" so to speak on FX pedals and their uses.

or maybe I have just not looked in the right place here yet.
Be specific with what your gear is, what sounds you need, and what genres you play. I'm not gonna recommend a Boss BD-2 to someone who plays death metal.
Well, I'm not sure what exactly you wanna know, but I'll tell you what I can.
Basically, effects pedals ("stompboxes" some call them) do just what you said they do, alter a guitar's tone, or how it sounds in general.

There are different kinds of pedals, some work as Preamp (google if you want) or Overdrive.. Distortion....Chorus..Delay, Tremolo, Filter, Compressor, Noise Suppressor...Wah Wah's, of course...loads of them.

Different price ranges and such, you have to shop around. One word of advice- 90% of the time, if you don't know what a pedal is for, you won't need it.

There's also "True Bypass" and "Buffered Bypass". Basically, this means that when you have TB, there is no alteration to your tone when the pedal is off, but the signal is running though it. Buffered Bypass will slightly effect ("colour") your tone, but it's not always a bad/totally noticeable thing.

Usually, they're setup like this:
Guitar>Pedal>Pedal>Pedal(etc...)>Amp

Feel free to experiment!

EDIT: Sorry, I know it's a long read. But it's worth it for "tone hunters" like myself
Last edited by Vinyl_Master at Jun 5, 2008,
I'm not an expect on guitars by any means, but it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for from your amp/guitar. Different pedals can give different sounds, so for someone a lot smarter than me to help properly try and be more specific as to what sound you want.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Effects pedals are used to create the sound you want. First before you can decide you need to know what sound you want. Do you want awesome distortion? Do you want a chorus pedal? Do you want a jet sounding noise? Before you can get a pedal you should have an Idea of what you want it to sound like or just buy a multi-FX pedal Like the Zoom G2.1u, Digitech RP Series or just a cheap old one like a zoom 606 to give you a taste of the effects out there. HOpe this helps.
Go on musiciansfriend.com and look through single effects pedals, and go to the ones that sell best and listen to them.

Distortion-what it says
overdrive-a smoother distortion/less overboard
delay-copies what you guitar plays and makes the noise a second later, like an echo
reverb-makes it sound big
noisegate- kills fuzz/buzz
eq-allows you to control your frequencies
those are the main ones. and once you have what type you want im sure UG will help you decide. What kind of music do you play, and what gear do you own currently?
ok.. you asked for my gear specs.

Line 6 Spider III 15 amp
Guitar is a Shine Tele copy.

Most of what I play is rock like Queen, Gund n' Roses, some other stuf like Nickleback, Hinder. 70's rock to name but a few.. I have a very eclectic taste lol

Hope this helps.
I wouldn't waste my time with those pedals personally. By the sounds of it a good overdrive such as a tubescreamer would do the job fine. Maybe a Zakk Wylde MXR.

Do you want to use effects like phasers, flangers, echos, n delays too? oh and You probably want a wah too :P
Last edited by dustyboy316 at Jun 5, 2008,
the things I DO know...

I need to have my intonation done my action is too high. (seperate issue completely)

my guitar sustains too much for my liking making everything I try to do sound sloppy. I have been told that i could do with a compressor but have no idea what that means lol.
Quote by Matt Chavie
Go on musiciansfriend.com and look through single effects pedals, and go to the ones that sell best and listen to them.

Distortion-clips the signal causing distortion
overdrive-pushes the guitar signal harder into the amp
delay-copies what you guitar plays and makes the noise a second later, like an echo
reverb-makes it sound big
noisegate- kills fuzz/buzz
eq-allows you to control your frequencies
those are the main ones. and once you have what type you want im sure UG will help you decide. What kind of music do you play, and what gear do you own currently?

*fixed*

TS why are you adding effects when you have them built into the amp?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
granted there are a bunch of effects allready built into the amp, but I was discussing how to achieve something which resembled a Brian May type sound (tough considering I dont have the guitar or the AC30's) and a couple of people in that thread suggested a compressor pedal (about the only thing that isn't built into my amp) although I was not sure why or what it would do. everyone here just seems to assume that when you say a delay/reverb/harmonic pedal that everyone else knows exactly what they mean... I don't!. I'm brand spanking new to all of this stuff.
Uhh Brian May's tone is probably impossible to get on your amp. Really only he can get it imo. I also think he used coins for a pick...

I doubt compression will help all that much either. How much are u planning on spending?
looking at the cheapest pedals my local guitar shop stock. I cant remember the brand but a compressor pedal would set me back just under £30.

and you're right about the coins.. Sixpences to be exact lol
Well try it out on your guitar and see if you like it first. It might not make that much of a distinguishable change. Maybe an EQ pedal would be good too also, I'd try that if you can.
an EQ pedal?? this is what I mean... I have no idea what that is supposed to do.
Quote by Phoenixx73
the things I DO know...

I need to have my intonation done my action is too high. (seperate issue completely)

my guitar sustains too much for my liking making everything I try to do sound sloppy. I have been told that i could do with a compressor but have no idea what that means lol.

Sustain is a good thing. If you're a sloppy player, you're a sloppy player, end of. Having less sustain is not going to make your playing any better. You should practice more, rather than trying in vain to get rid of it with a pedal. Also, a compressor would INCREASE your sustain
If I were you I wouldnt think on it too much unless your realy going 4 one specific thing exsperimenting with a new pedel is fun & you finde new styls but if you try & get all technical & make it more complexed than it is, its not fun anymore. Your right its just a little box hooked to your guitar & your amp that changes things up you dont need to know the science of it. Go for some basic pedals you here about all the time & you can get into the rest of them later(some pedals are made to alter another pedal & some times that pedal can have one that altrs it.... So stick with basics for now because it gets complicated, you can use how ever many pedals you want as long as you can controll them all, for starters I suggest just a max of 2 pedals at a time).

If you think you know what kind of sound your going for just discribe it to a guy who works at guitar center or something they usualy know what they are talking about & can give you some ideas & discriptions on what you should use. If you decide to buy what they sugest buy one within your range dont go for one that cost as much as a guitar but dont buy a 15 dollar one either, just trust your jugement.

I think the best way is to go out there & buy a cheap one IF YOU DONT KNOW what your looking for read the name of the pedal & buy the one that sounds the most intreguing (echo pedal obviousley makes the sound echo, distortion makes it sound distorted, the wha wha or cry baby makes the guitar sound like its crying & goes wha wha when you use it thats Jimi hendrix's signiture pedal ^_^).

I sugest looking at some of your favorite songs or your favorit artist since you like that sound figure out what pedel they are useing get one & exsperiment with it your self. More knowledge will come with time & exsperience, be sure to listin when a guitar player is talking or being interviewed this subject will probaly come up.

p.s. all the little knobs make the effect of the pedal more noticiable or they make it more discrete. Some times pedals with the same name can vary in size, (for example my 1st pedal was an echo pedal that was plastic had 1 button & two knobs & it was the size of both my fists, but later I saw another echo pedal metel bigger & more exspincive one that was probaly of better qualiety), 1 could have knobs & you finde another with no knobs, the pedal its self could vary from a simple button you step on to an actual pedal you can wiggle your foot with, they can be metal or plastic or a variation.

Like with most things the pricey ones are better qualiety but if your just looking to try some thing out dont rob your wallet( like if you want a bike just to ride around a bit you dont have to have it all tricked out it just needs to be a bike). The only time you want to buy a pricey up there pedal is when you know exactly what you want & you want it in good qualiety (or you want to be flashy) or youve tryed a cheaper version & it just stole you away, you know that that pedal is like your signiture & you will always use it or need it (like if you were a pro bmx racer then it would actualy matter what kind of bike you had)

IDK if I helped but ya know giv a gal credit she tryed just ya know message me if U think I could help more just be kinda specific with the questions
Last edited by RokinAltrEgo at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by hendrixfanatic
There is a Digitech Brian May signature pedal, by the way; with 7 (I think) classic Brian May tones.

Did not know that. Probably still dont get the exact tone.
Quote by dustyboy316
Did not know that. Probably still dont get the exact tone.

The tone May got with like what? 5000+ of gear in a 100 something pedal, see where I'm going with this?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
The tone May got with like what? 5000+ of gear in a 100 something pedal, see where I'm going with this?

Well sometimes some ppl can get similar tones to some artists with signature pedals, May's is just too... different. It's all bout how he played imo.
Quote by dustyboy316
Well sometimes some ppl can get similar tones to some artists with signature pedals, May's is just too... different. It's all bout how he played imo.

I know man, I know what you are saying, but still I doubt any pedal can get that VOX ac30 tone, or even in the ballpark of it.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I know man, I know what you are saying, but still I doubt any pedal can get that VOX ac30 tone, or even in the ballpark of it.

Actually listen to the rock you demo on musiciansfriend. It isn't that far off. The others arent as good imo. But yah definetely, especially if ure playing a gig it wouldn't come close. Or on any non tube amp for that matter.
Really, besides the stuff people above have said, the only advice I can give you: Go to guitar center and try some pedals (preferably Boss pedals, because they're the "real deal") out. That gives you a much better idea of what they sound like then a vague description as in "Distortion means clipping." And also get a better amp, probably before you get any pedals.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Man. What is with people and bumping old threads lately?

Hello? This thread is a month old, I have a strange feeling that it's been abandoned by now.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.