Ok i was wondering for all these loud non master volume amps, or even master volume amps that you really need to crank bloody loud to get them to sound decent, think: plexi, jcm 800 etc. How can you do this with sucking minimum- no tone.
Ive heard something called a palmer that EVH and others used. Any one know anything?
Well the thing EVH, Alex Lifeson, Keith Richards and other use are a palmer pdi-03 those are power soak and speaker cab emulator. It allows to lower the signal to a line level allowing to play direct injection without blowing stuff up plus it make's the signal sound like it's coming out of a speaker cabinet. All this fit in a rack drawer. Unfortunately, palmer ceased to make those units, it's rather expensive (600$) and it's kinda hard to get one. Although you can get something similar from other compagnies.

Other wise i guess it's mainly turn the gain up. The other way is to eq stuff up until it sounds decent
Quote by GearGeekSquad
...a palmer pdi-03 those are power soak...

Aka. attenuator. Also, pulling power tubes won't decrease volume THAT much (although it will, a little), and you can't do it with every amp.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by GearGeekSquad
Well the thing EVH, Alex Lifeson, Keith Richards and other use are a palmer pdi-03 those are power soak and speaker cab emulator. It allows to lower the signal to a line level allowing to play direct injection without blowing stuff up plus it make's the signal sound like it's coming out of a speaker cabinet. All this fit in a rack drawer. Unfortunately, palmer ceased to make those units, it's rather expensive (600$) and it's kinda hard to get one. Although you can get something similar from other compagnies.

Other wise i guess it's mainly turn the gain up. The other way is to eq stuff up until it sounds decent

Another one of those cab emulators is a Groove Tubes SE-II.
Nothing will ever sound quite like a cranked marshall, but using an attenuator or one of the palmers can get you close. The reality is though, that both units do affect the tone a bit.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar