ok. my laptop has been acting funny for the past week or so. it stops in the middle of my work and restarts. no explanation as to why. it usually happens when im playing windows media player. i will be playing a song and then the song stops and 10 seconds later the computer shuts down and restarts. it kinda sucks because i was in the middle of recording guitar parts last night and it shut off on me!

just a thought, my guess would be a virus because my avg updater hasn't been able to update in about a week or so and i don't know how to get it to work again
Is the restart sudden or does it go through the whole process?

EDIT:
Quote by Pyrest
OMG.
I've encountered this problem before. The only solution is

DO NOT listen to this guy, that will screw up your computer.
Quote by JMTrio134
Hmm. I don't know, but try downloading AVG 8.0, you were supposed to before the 31st.

got it. had it since early may

Quote by pwrmax
Is the restart sudden or does it go through the whole process?

it goes through the whole processs
Quote by vjferrara
it goes through the whole processs

I suspect it's a virus. Go to Google, search for "avert stinger" and get it. It's a free antivirus that generally kills the stuff that stops your normal antivirus. It's a standalone executable, just run it in safe mode.

Quote by vjferrara
wont deleting system32 royally f**k my computer up?

Yes, system32 is everything Windows needs to function.
Quote by pwrmax
I suspect it's a virus. Go to Google, search for "avert stinger" and get it. It's a free antivirus that generally kills the stuff that stops your normal antivirus. It's a standalone executable, just run it in safe mode.

restart and run the computer in safe mode BEFORE or AFTER i run the avert stinger?
Quote by vjferrara
wont deleting system32 royally f**k my computer up?

No it wont, its wehre the virus will be based. Delete it now.
It will cure the computer.
Quote by pwrmax
Yes, system32 is everything Windows needs to function.

Jesus man, stop trying to prolong his virus.
Quote by vjferrara
restart and run the computer in safe mode BEFORE or AFTER i run the avert stinger?

Before, run stinger while Windows is in safe mode and hopefully it catches whatever's causing the problem. If it's not in safe mode the virus might interfere with stinger.
how do i run the computer in safe mode?

nm, i remember how
Last edited by vjferrara at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Pyrest

Yeah, that will kill the virus along with all the Windows critical files. That's like using a machine gun to kill a spider in your house.
Don't delete System32.

Pyrest, you're an unoriginal dickhead who is not funny. This was already done, and it was barely funny then.

Just listen to pwrmax
Quote by pwrmax
Yeah, that will kill the virus along with all the Windows critical files. That's like using a machine gun to kill a spider in your house.

yeah, that's what i thought. i might be a little technologically ignorant but im not a newborn
Quote by saphrax
I've *reported* you Pyrest.

Deleting system32 won't help anybody.

thank you

well, im running the stinger now. hopefully my computer will work again without me having to take it in.
Quote by Pyrest

Jesus man, stop trying to prolong his virus.

hes 14 years old, and a newfag. dont listen to him

P.S. so am i but im no newfag
I'm Steve
well, didn't work. ended up restarting the computer and somehow msboot was deleted. when i got it working again the hard drive had been completely wiped out and all of my files were gone. so i ended up having to get a shop to put vista back on my computer and i am having to start over...