hey there!

i've read the sticky of this forum concerning music theory and one of the things I've read is that the intervals 3 and 5 (4 and 6 - inversion) are stable intervals, and 2 and 7 are unstable intervals.

that means that a person doesnt like to hear the intervals 2 or 7 "for a long time".

well, my question is ... is b7 still an unstable interval? because i've seen several licks where the last note is b7 and sounds really cool to me. Maybe because its #6 too and 6 is "stable"?

zomg what a mess
you generally wouldn't end a phrase on a 7th unless you wanted an unresolved sound. Classical theory will define certain things as "unstable" but that doesn't mean it sounds bad or undesirable, it just means that in the context classical harmony the effect is not something that you want to stick around on. Now the rules of classical harmony only really apply if you want it to sound like traditional classical harmony (bach.. etc), contemporary music breaks pretty much all of those "rules" to great effect.
Last edited by Captain Garry at Jun 5, 2008,
I think that b7 is a stable interval. It definitely seems stable in chords. It's a minor tonality if thats any help.

A mess indeed.

EDIT: ^ Thats a better way of putting it. A hell of a lot more accurate than my post.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by Taydr
I think that b7 is a stable interval. It definitely seems stable in chords. It's a minor tonality if thats any help.

A mess indeed.

EDIT: ^ Thats a better way of putting it. A hell of a lot more accurate than my post.

~Taydr~

A b7 does not imply a "minor tonality".
Quote by Captain Garry
A b7 does not imply a "minor tonality".

You're right. I just couldn't think of any better way to describe, and me not thinking, decided to put it as that. Gotta start paying more attention to what I'm writing.
Quote by Taydr
You're right. I just couldn't think of any better way to describe, and me not thinking, decided to put it as that. Gotta start paying more attention to what I'm writing.

hehe, thanks for answering, tho
Quote by Gacel

hehe, thanks for answering, tho

Yeah sorry bout that. Been an incredibly hard and stressful month. This is the first real day off I've had in five weeks, and my brain isn't used to thinking about music.