So i have a cube 30x and it's good and all but i kind of want a tube amp. I'm headin to my nearest city guitar store here next monday... They carry mostly peavey, marshall and one other brand i just can't remember. I will try amps probably all day but i'm going in on the notion that i will probably trade in my cube for a valveking 112. I've read many threads abd they seem to be quite versatile... I play all types of rock and dabble into metal but not a big metalhead other than metallica. If you were in my situation would you go through with this purchase or is the 112 not much better than a cube 30x... (i jam with friends and practise mostly... no gigging really)

I'll also prob get an overdrive pedal of some sort
Last edited by tomsy49 at Jun 5, 2008,
mainly just a bump for ya as I can't compare the Cube to the VK. I can say i'm pretty happy with my VK112 and do not yet have an OD for it. Speaker swap might be a good first step for this amp but not necessary out of the gate. It will take time to tweak this amp so don't get discouraged if it doesn't sound good at first.

Sounds like you have a good plan tho in trying as many out as you can.

Do you have a budget?

Any other thoughts guys/gals?

;
Budget?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
play higher budget amps and then buy them used on eBay. 5-600 could get you a lot.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
play higher budget amps and then buy them used on eBay. 5-600 could get you a lot.

very true
look used
but be wary buying amps off ebay as they could be broken in shipping.
I recommend craigslist.com
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
well. for $600 dollars you could get a classic 30, which is quite versatile out of the box imo, but you might...no WILL probly need a od to give it an extra punch. the classic 30's overdrive is quite muddy imo. thats y i got the bad monkey. makes it 10x better (despite being a really cheap OD) just throwing it out there. im pretty sure this is the last amp ill ever need. it can get LOUD.

and for the fun fact of the day, i got my classic 30 for $336 bucks
Quote by AJS19

and for the fun fact of the day, i got my classic 30 for $336 bucks

I got my Classic 50 2x12 for $380! Hurray for deals
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
How do the classic 30 and valveking compare in cleans and distortion... i'll probably buy a OD peddal no matter what so im not worried so much about the distortion but i need good distortion for some music i play
^Just depends on how heavy you need to go. The Vk is good to thrash, while the C30 probably won't make it to hard rock.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The classic 30 has very good cleans. That and the Traynor YCV 40 are about as good as cleans get shy of a Fender . The VK cleans aren't as good as the Classic 30 or the Traynor.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
very true
look used
but be wary buying amps off ebay as they could be broken in shipping.
I recommend craigslist.com

Feedback and Shipping Insurance are your friends. eBay is perfect to buy anything.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch