Page 1 of 2
Right, so I'm going to boarding school next year, and I'm going to have to leave my Mesa F30 in the band hall and need something that I can use in my dorm. I've got really no idea what I want... I could use a smaller amp for recording, so I figured I might get one of those... but a multi- fx with a headphone jack would probably be more versatile, and I might even use it in a band situation if it had any decent presets. Basically, here's what I've been looking at:

Option 1- Fender Vibro Champ XD- I'd have to use the line out with an adapter to play through headphones, but it seems quite versatile and it's all- tube... seems a little shady that the price is so low, though.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-VibroChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483069

Option 2- Line 6 Pocket POD/ any other multi- FX- This would probably be even more versatile and would take up a lot less space than the Vibro Champ, but I suspect the overall tone is far inferior, though I've never tried it.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151065

Option 3- One of the bajillions of tiny SS amps... cubes, valvetronix, etc.- Gives me portability, but presumably with worse tone than either of the above options.

Thoughts?

I'm obviously open to suggestions; my price range isn't exactly fixed but I REALLY don't want to go over $250 or so, consindering I'll probably be getting this closer to the end of summer, while I'm buying a new guitar ASAP. My gear's in my sig, and I play pretty much everything, but mostly metal, punk, and blues, with some classic rock and ska/ reggae sprinkled in. I'll also be playing in the Jazz ensemble, so if it's an amp that can outdo my F30's jazzy tone than I'd be extremely interested. I'm willing to go used, as well.

Thanks!
It'll still be mighty loud when pushed but I'd save and get a Tiny Terror combo when they come out if they're anywhere near as good as the head purely for the versatility and ability to sound good at low volume. Up to you though of course.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'd totally get a Zvex Nano if one's within your budget.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Yngwi3
It'll still be mighty loud when pushed but I'd save and get a Tiny Terror combo when they come out if they're anywhere near as good as the head purely for the versatility and ability to sound good at low volume. Up to you though of course.

Oh lord, that's tempting... don't think I'll want to spend that much money after getting a $500+ guitar in a few weeks, though. Maybe next year... anyone know if the combo's going to have a line out?

Quote by jxljxl
I'd totally get a Zvex Nano if one's within your budget.

I'd still have to get a cab though, right? The ability to play through my headphones is pretty much essential... not sure exactly how much noise is going to be acceptable, especially at night.
Quote by saltysnail
killer ant and overdrive if zvex is out of range?

I would go with the killer ant.

If you REALLY have to have something you can use with headphones the pod isnt bad.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I would go with the killer ant.

If you REALLY have to have something you can use with headphones the pod isnt bad.

Okay... By "not bad", how does it compare to say, a cube or valvetronix, tone- wise?

Anyway, I'm going to have 1 or 2 roommates... I don't even know how they're going to react to me playing WITH my headphones, much less without.
You should have a sit down with a Boss GT-8 at a guitar store. Seriously, the Boss GT series is like a tweakers dream. Hard to get a good sound at first, but once you fiddle with it for an hour or so.......they nice. Check out Rob Marcello on youtube to see how these sound.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
You should have a sit down with a Boss GT-8 at a guitar store. Seriously, the Boss GT series is like a tweakers dream. Hard to get a good sound at first, but once you fiddle with it for an hour or so.......they nice. Check out Rob Marcello on youtube to see how these sound.

That's a little expensive.

Actually, that's really expensive. If I do end up spending upwards of $250, I'll be buying an amp, not a multi- fx pedal. Basically, if I can get a decent- sounding, versatile, portable amp with a headphone jack for $250, I'll look into it, because I'd be using it for other things than just practicing in my room. I'm not big on effects at all, so I'm not going to waste $450 on a multi- fx that I'll only use for practice, especially when I can get one that sounds decent for $150.

Make sense, you guys?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Okay... By "not bad", how does it compare to say, a cube or valvetronix, tone- wise?

Anyway, I'm going to have 1 or 2 roommates... I don't even know how they're going to react to me playing WITH my headphones, much less without.

Yeah thats true, rooomates might not be very cool about guitar playing.

I would say its about even with the cube, I haven't played the valvetronix much at all so I'm not sure about that. I would choose the pod over the cube for what you want. It has a lot of different sounds, it's small, sounds decent and its cheap. They are super fun to sit and play around with too, lots of amp models and effects.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Forgot to mention the "pick one up used" part. lol

Anyway, you can pick up a used one for between $250-$300.
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=647304
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Here's a far out idea, but consider it: Why not throw versatility out the window and get a little 5w tube combo that everyone is so crazy about? You'll pick up a lot of dynamic control and a better understanding of how your guitar and all of it's knobs can really create the sound more than the amp. Limiting yourself to an amp with just a volume knob is the medicine most guitar players need IMO. Of course cranking any nasty overdrive out of a 5w is still too loud for dorm playing... Spending all your time playing cleans would force you to spend a lot of time working on articulation. Probably not at all what you're looking for, but I've been doing this lately and thought I'd throw the suggestion out.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Here's a far out idea, but consider it: Why not throw versatility out the window and get a little 5w tube combo that everyone is so crazy about? You'll pick up a lot of dynamic control and a better understanding of how your guitar and all of it's knobs can really create the sound more than the amp. Limiting yourself to an amp with just a volume knob is the medicine most guitar players need IMO. Of course cranking any nasty overdrive out of a 5w is still too loud for dorm playing... Spending all your time playing cleans would force you to spend a lot of time working on articulation. Probably not at all what you're looking for, but I've been doing this lately and thought I'd throw the suggestion out.

That's actually a good idea for any guitarist, it's really tempting to pile on loads of distortion just so you can get lazy.....
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I'm not really a tone nazi but I've been meaning to get a roland microcube for practice. I use my pro junior now though.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

Meh... makes sense in theory, but it's really not practical. Lack of a headphone jack aside, playing melodeath and thrash metal on an amp's clean channel sounds absolutely stupid... I might as well just play unplugged.

Quote by thankyougermany
That's actually a good idea for any guitarist, it's really tempting to pile on loads of distortion just so you can get lazy.....

I'm proud to say that, now that I'm the owner of a tube amp, I no longer hide my tone behind loads of gain like I did with my old gear. On my Mesa I put the gain at about 9 o'clock for a low- gain classic rock sound, 11 o'clock for a modern punk (Sum 41, All Time Low) or higher- gain classic rock (some of Rush's heavier stuff, Black Sabbath, etc.) tone. Depending on the song, the gain's between 12 o'clock (Judas Priest, other NWOBHM) and just before 3 o'clock for metal.

Anyway, I do a lot of my practicing unplugged, like I said, and playing some of the music I do through a squeaky- clean amp sounds kind of stupid and annoying.
Zvex nano + Ted Weber Headphone tap + Quality Headphones = win

Also, you know that your f30 has a speaker mute switch and a headphone out, right?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Also, you know that your f30 has a speaker mute switch and a headphone out, right?

Yep, and I use it on a regular basis. The thing is, it's going to be a pain in the ass to drag it all the way across campus every single time I want to use it for Jazz band, jamming with other musicians, or just to turn it up for ****s and giggles in one of the soundproofed practice rooms they've got (I know, pretty sweet, right?). You've got one, it takes both arms to carry it properly.

Quote by drewfromden

Did you even look at how much I want to spend?
Vox AD15VT. Has a power level adjustment on the back for how loud you want it. Has line/headphone out[1/4 in.] and has some amazing tone for a hybrid.

Meaning it can be 1/2 watt to 15 watts, or with the 30 1/2 to 30 watts, etc.
I got some good guitars, yo.
I love the Vibrochamp and Superchamp for what they are. Very versatile amps that are almost all tube (all tube on clean, mostly tube on dist.) and can sound good at low volumes. Perfect for practice. I would go as far to say that they put the Valvetronix series to shame (not really, but they are a good deal better). I would go for that.
^I figured they might be... I'm loving the youtube clips I'm looking at right now, especially compared to the Valvetronix and the cube. I'm starting to think that it might have slightly chimier, jazzier cleans than my Mesa as well so I might even use it for Jazz band if I end up getting it... I'll see.
The pod has great tone if you get good headphones for it. I use it with a pair of Ultimate Ears headphones. And the sound quality is amazing.. There are some nice sennheisers under 50 bucks.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Yep, and I use it on a regular basis. The thing is, it's going to be a pain in the ass to drag it all the way across campus every single time I want to use it for Jazz band, jamming with other musicians, or just to turn it up for ****s and giggles in one of the soundproofed practice rooms they've got (I know, pretty sweet, right?). You've got one, it takes both arms to carry it properly.

Did you even look at how much I want to spend?

After about 2 or 3 times you dont care anymore. I used to have a Marshall JCM 800 in my dorm until necessity made me sell it. Then later, when I had a Randall stack, again I carried it across campus. I popped in in the car, or rolled it on casters. Not the most fun, but I wasn't about to leave my gear in the music building, and distance from home and other circumstances meant my stack had to come with me. Even now, when I'm at school, the Bugera combo sits right beside my desk. For "silent practice" my Korg Pandora does the job fine
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Leat
Vox AD15VT. Has a power level adjustment on the back for how loud you want it. Has line/headphone out[1/4 in.] and has some amazing tone for a hybrid.

Meaning it can be 1/2 watt to 15 watts, or with the 30 1/2 to 30 watts, etc.

no, the attenuator is on the 30 watt models upwards. the 15 watter doesn't have it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If your room mates are not okay with you playing guitar.... **** them, get new roommates....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd still have to get a cab though, right? The ability to play through my headphones is pretty much essential... not sure exactly how much noise is going to be acceptable, especially at night.

The zVex NaNo has a built in speaker. Not sure about the headphone out though.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Yeah it has a speaker, but it is laughable at best. It's so tiny and sounds super AM radio-ish.

Meh, good enough for dorm practise whilst he affords a 1x12 or something (if you wanted it, TS).
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Yeah. zVex Nano head would be the ultimate, and then at nights he can just unplug his guitar. That's what I do.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
It's college, spend your money on books and beer. Get a MicroCube or Vox Da5? I wish the Rockman Soloists were more reliable, mine broke pretty quick in college, I would throw that in too. Study hard, play but hard too.
Quote by gregs1020
It's college, spend your money on books and beer. Get a MicroCube or Vox Da5? I wish the Rockman Soloists were more reliable, mine broke pretty quick in college, I would throw that in too. Study hard, play but hard too.

It's actually a boarding High School, not college... so no books to buy, and limited resources when it comes to purchasing beer .

That seems kind of interesting but looks pretty shady... I know Tom Scholz is a tone nazi though, so does it sound better than say, a Valvetronix?
Prepared to be amazed....

Danelectro Honey Tone. Clean to Deathmetal it accomplished it with great tube tone... Only issue was when i stuck a modified OD infront of it, it died when i hit a chord... was to much to much lol

But hey for the time being check one out there like $20 bucks....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

That seems kind of interesting but looks pretty shady... I know Tom Scholz is a tone nazi though, so does it sound better than say, a Valvetronix?

I think they sound better than a Valvetronix, or you can use it as an effect and run it through your amp. They may have improved them, I owned one 18 years ago.
Quote by gregs1020
I think they sound better than a Valvetronix, or you can use it as an effect and run it through your amp. They may have improved them, I owned one 18 years ago.

Ah... so that explains why the ones I looked at on eBay looked like 8- tracks.
Page 1 of 2