Page 1 of 19
So when my TB thread got closed, yet there was no general TB thread to turn to, I realized I had to create one.

For starters, let me say just this: the Thunderbird is a bad bass with many cons and well... just one pro. And you know what that is? The Thunderbird just looks too fucking cool. And if you sit down and really weigh the pros and cons you'll see they even themselves out. Here, take a look at this sketch I drew to illustrate my point.

Here are some problems you might run into with a TB:

But all that is forgotten when you're on stage with that badboy:

My point being: the pro > cons.

But wouldn't it still be nice NOT to heave a head diving bass with poor fret access? Well, I guess you're just gonna have to live with not playing the 20th fret, but HERE is a little lesson on how to fix the diving problem. If you want to join a jazz band however... get an another bass, although THIS little demo clip proves that you actually CAN get quite a lot of different sounds out of a TB.

So yeah, anything goes: what do you think about the TB? Any tips on how to overcome the cons? All TB lovers and haters are welcome
i like it i have one but sometimes it can be a bit rediculos. which is why im getting an esp B4E
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
TB's are annoying. if you want mud, just play fingerstyle over the tweflth fret and boost your lows. 300 bucks can get me a much better bass.
for 1100, I can get a way better bass.
I will admit, they can do roots pretty well. It really blends into the guitar. But if a guitarist wants roots, they should get an octave pedal. It won't take their gig money.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
But Thunderbirds don't really look that good...

I agree. If I were to pick a bass based on looks, I would prolly go with jazz or a stingray.

And any bass sounds amazing with an Eden head and a dr. Bass cab.
Thats a cello, not a bass in that comic...
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
too big for a cello. like a 'cellass' or something.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you want to play a bass whose neck weighs more than the whole body, then go ahead.

Also, Epiphone is the poor-man's post-hardcore bass. Just look at the pics you posted.

(edit: Yes, I know that's Nikki Sixx, but that doesnt make him look any less like a girl)
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
But Thunderbirds don't really look that good...

I have to disagree. I've never played a Thunderbird, but I think they look damn sexy.
You listed three cons yourself and only one pro, which really is subjective. And yet you think you win. That's funny.

At any rate, just stop. The Bass Forum will never like the 'Bird, so stop trying to win us over. It is just an inferior bass that happens to look neat. There will always be people like you who say "I don't care about the flaws, it looks neat, so stfu." Go find them.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I don't really plug my blogs in-forum by my latest two-part Gospel says pretty much everything I have to say about the T-Bird and debunks the whole "appearance" thing. I think you should check it out. This thread seems to be some sort of PC troll, but at the same time, it'd be nice to see people post in this thread instead of making a new one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I really considered just closing this thread because it is like shouting fire in the theater to breach this subject in the forum.

However, I think Fitz has made a good point. If we keep the Tbird discussions to this thread AND it doesn't become a flame war or a Jeremiad, I willing to let the discussion continue. Oh yes, and we all play by the rules of the forum on posting. So Lenodrav, thank Fitz, you own him one.

So this can be the home for those voices in the wilderness who feel Tbirds have merit as a bass option.

And btw, IndianRockStar, you forgot to mention one of the best features of that 3 point bridge. They have a nasty habit of popping off on occasion, sometimes in middle of playing.
Quote by Captain Insano
I agree. If I were to pick a bass based on looks, I would prolly go with jazz or a stingray.

Very important detail, as in VERY important.
Quote by Captain Insano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHizHEm4p7E

Thunderbird. Dr. Bass cab. Eden head.

Folks, I find it very laboured, muffled, and bland. It seems to be having trouble cutting through the din of the room.

But that is all I have to say about Thunderbirds in this thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..

Much better.
Quote by telecastrmastr

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Personally, I don't like the way it looks. Its too "square"....

That being said, its also one of those basses that actually SUCK because they are at a "happy medium". Its too trebly to be used for the "70s groove" tone that I love, yet too bassy for anything really funky, and just ends up sounding really ****ty when you try to do either.

That being said, I LOVE vintage Gibson basses. In my opinion anything pre-80s Gibson Bass is really damn awesome! (and anything after is pure ****) Hell, I want a EB-0 and a EB-3. Yes I know they sound "muddy" but only when used wrong. They have huge bottom end and you can get really fat sounds out of them when used right. As well as a smooth buttery texture to the sound (in my opinion, THE Gibson bass sound) that they lost after the 80s.

Also, to add to the context of fasion, I perfer the Explorer and the BC Rich Mocking Bird.
Oh, one more thing...

Any particular reason there's a trombone, a saxophone, and a CELLO in that comic?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Oh, one more thing...

Any particular reason there's a trombone, a saxophone, and a CELLO in that comic?

Too late, I already pointed that out :P
Quote by telecastrmastr

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
My first bass was a Thunderbird. Ended up trading it for a 6 string.

Although last week I managed to buy my old bass back and I have to say I missed it.
I have a Schecter Stilletto Custom & Spector Euro-4 and now the Thunderbird. At the risk of being e-abused I'm going to say the Thunderbird, for me, isn't bad. Depending what you use it for, it works. It blends well and a good weight. I use all 3 basses now depending on what i play.

Definately not the worst bass I've played and not the best. But in the right conditions it can be good.
Quote by thefitz
Oh, one more thing...

Yeah-yeah, my bad, shut up already.

And fitz what's with hating the sound? Did anyone actually bother to click on my link? To be honest I dislike the slap tone, but the fingerstyle groove he's got going on at 3:30 sounds sweet in my opinion, though he plays through some pedals.

So, onto fixing the problems:

a) neck-dive - add another strap button
b) poor fret access - I think I'm gonna leave it like that. Honestly, I never need to play that high anyways.
c) tone - so what's the source of the problem? pickups? if so, what replacements would you recommend?
d) 3-point bridge - any ideas on how to fix this? or should I get it done professionally?
If this isn't sexy tone, I don't know what is!

Seriously, I know TBird's don't have barely any clarity, but neither do P-Basses, and everone loves them! With both basses, the whole thing about them is the lovely "dull thud" filling out the low end. TBirds have their places, and lot's of people fail to acknowledge that!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
to be honest, i actually don't dislike them. A couple of weeks ago i though **** it, the bass forum hates the thunderbird, but i'm going to try one of these for myself. I liked the sound, it fits exactly with what I do. I play mainly rock stuff, with next to no other styles. People are always going on about the versatility (lack of it) with the thunderbird, but it fitted what I want to do perfectly. I love the looks, and if i'm honest it fits what I want to do better than my precision. I'd consider buying a thunderbird
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
I also dont HATE the t bird. Sure the fret access is kinda annoying, but I only play one song (very occasionally) where its a problem, and the neck dive is bad, but it couldnt be worse than my damn Iceman bass. Though if I was to get one, Id have to try it again since its been about a year. I doubt my local Epi/Gibson dealer will want to get any more though since it took them quite a while to get rid of the ones they had, and they still have a 5er which was there when I last tried a t bird.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Lendorav, I checked your link. My link is part 1, before the upgrades. I can't think of any replacement pickups for the T-Bird. While not as bad as EB Basses, I find the tone super bland, and within the context of the design, I find this intolerable. You can get a new bridge, though. If I were you, I'd add a strap button at the END of the bass, not the neck joint. Like a Spector/Thumb of olde.

And wait... Welsh Guitarist... have you ever played new strings on a P-Bass?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Bartolini do specific replacements for both old-style chrome T-bird pups, and the newer black plastic case types. Barto's could make slapping the handbrake cable on your car sound good.
Sure EMG do some for them too.
Quote by matt-attack
http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_us_REX-5USA_1.html
I'd rather have this than a thunderbird.

Ooo, I played that bass and it sounds really nice. The weight distribution was good as well and I liked the neck. The shop where I frequent was offering it up as an option during my on going 5 string search.

I wasn't too keen on the body shape though. Upper fret access was much better than the Thunderbird, but the proportion of the neck to the body size felt odd to me. I also like big basses like Pbasses and Musicman's so its probably more of an overall aesthetics than anything else.
Quote by kaptink
Fenderbirds are where its at!

+1
I heard one of these, the owner also threw a middle single coil in it, and it sounded pretty nice.
must have cost a lot though. I'd rather find something cheaper...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I dunno if this has already been said, but, there is a reason why this is the only thread dedicated to Gibson and Epiphone four string guitars with longer necks.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I like the Tbird, and the Sg is probably going to be my next bass (BYEEEE spector).

But really, is it that bad to sacrifice playability for stage presence?

Oh, and Fitzy:
Quote by Thunderbird Test
We're sorry, this video is no longer available.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
But really, is it that bad to sacrifice playability for stage presence?

YES, YOU DAMN HIPPIE.

And also, play an SG before you sink money into it. I've played a few and greatly disliked them. Even a guitarist friend who knows nothing about basses said it was crappy.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
YES, YOU DAMN HIPPIE.

And also, play an SG before you sink money into it. I've played a few and greatly disliked them. Even a guitarist friend who knows nothing about basses said it was crappy.

I have. The second bass I have ever played was an 80's Gibson SG lent to me for a few weeks. It was comfortable, had a thick, luscious tone, and was just generally awesome.

Oh, and I will stop being a hippie once you legalize pot and stop raping the land, SHOVANIST PIG!!
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
I have. The second bass I have ever played was an 80's Gibson SG lent to me for a few weeks. It was comfortable, had a thick, luscious tone, and was just generally awesome.

That's an old bass, probably not as bad as the new ones.

Oh, and I will stop being a hippie once you legalize pot and stop raping the land, CHAUVINIST PIG!!

Fixed
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Kranos, does this link work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHizHEm4p7E

It does for me.

And God... does Behringer invert sound quality, or what?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I wonder what Matt Pulcinella (from http://www.mpguitars.com/) is doing with the thunderbird. He is designing the "Level 4/5/6" bass which is one of the most well balanced basses out there (and is generally a very nice bass), and now I see him with a thunderbird. Personal preference I guess, but still, it seems weird to me.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Jun 7, 2008,
The way i see it is like so..if you're stupid enough to buy a bass knowing you cant access certain frets and/or it has neck dive, get it home and then complain about it then you deserve all you get really. Personally i love the T-bird and have one myself, yeah the neck dive is irritating and the lack of frets is annoying but i am used to having 24 frets on my yamaha to play so...but i use it for other things and often mess about with different tunings on it. If you dont like it then fair enough-each to their own but let other people buy it if they want it. But i dont get the complaints about the sound of it-have you never heard Simon Gallup live???
Bass....How low can you go?????