well i just noticed today that my tele has been sounding alot more bassier, less twang.
so i was wondering if this is a problem with the Capacitor, i checked the wiring and everything seems fine but there has to be a reason for this. so if it is the capacitors problem which one would i need to get? a stock tele is .050µF so would just replacing it with the same kind work?
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Have you tried it through multiple amps/cabs?

It could simply be that you're finally breaking in your speakers.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
yea, ive tried it with a different amp and still the same problem.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Caps_(capacitors)/1/Capacitors/Instructions/I-3191.html#details
looking at the diagram there for a tele they seem to have an extra cap .oo1uf in there, but the original diagram for a standard tele doesnt have that. could this be it?
I think that the .001 uF cap is so you don't lose treble when you turn the volume down. I'm not positive though.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Yea the extra little cap goes on the vol pot as a treble bypass. When you turn the guitar down the first to go is treble and the little cap keeps the treble but lowers the volume still. I guess not all teles have this cap. Ive done this mod to most of my guitars usually on a switch so I can turn it on or off.
Quote by a4lrocker
I think that the .001 uF cap is so you don't lose treble when you turn the volume down. I'm not positive though.

yeah thats correct. i know this sounds stupid as s*** but did u make sure ur tone knob is all the way up?? this seems odd consdering teles have single coil pups-replace the cap and see what happens..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
thanks for the help, ill just replace the cap and hopefully that will fix it.
sorry for the extra question but, putting in a 0.020µF cap wouldnt hurt would it?
Last edited by RatmN'Roses at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by livrockdie
Have you changed the strings recently?
best reply in the thread.

apparently TS didn't see it or just didn't bother to respond.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SYK is right
along with the knob question

theres really no reason for a tele to lose treble, honestly, its like an oxymoron

knob, cable, amp, strings, caps
in that order
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
best reply in the thread.

apparently TS didn't see it or just didn't bother to respond.

Well its just the most obvious response, chances are he already tried it and felt that there was no need to adress it
well i haven't changed strings recently but ive changed strings on my tele a few times before and never had this problem. my guitar sounds like i have the tone knob rolled all the way back (the tone knob is all the way up). ive checked the cables, tried a different amp so im just gonna change the cap and see if it does anything. im open to any suggestions still
thanks for the help.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
well i haven't changed strings recently but ive changed strings on my tele a few times before and never had this problem. my guitar sounds like i have the tone knob rolled all the way back (the tone knob is all the way up). ive checked the cables, tried a different amp so im just gonna change the cap and see if it does anything. im open to any suggestions still
thanks for the help.

What everyone means is that as strings get older they will start to sound dull. try replacing them, it might 'twang' it up again. There is no reason that it should just loose its twangyness
im used to dull strings and i know putting new strings on will make that sound better but its not something small like dull strings, the tone is completely sucked out, i guess its my bad the first post made it sound just like an old string problem but its a big difference than from just old strings.
hmmm.
Only other things i can think is that their may be a bad solder joint that may have come loose.
Other things could be, do you use a wah? i've often left it heel down and wondered for a couple of minutes why my guitar sounds dull.
EQ may have been nocked or something like that.

I really can't see any other logical reason. Just check all the solder joints etc.
Well I dont know where you are but the weather around here has been really humid, so depending on where you live it may be something like that. Just a possibility. That, or play with your settings a bit. I'm sure its something small that you've looked over.