I need to learn more scales, I know the Major and Natural Minor scales, and thats about it. I like to play metal type stuff and want to learn how to make good solo's and things like that. I have a Scales book with lots and lots of different scales but i dont know which ones to learn! ...although I admit i have been procrastinating a little..... So which scales do you prefer me to learn?
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
If you know the major and natural minor scales, look up modal theory because the modes have the same patterns as the major/minor scales.
Hmm....ok...and what exactly is "Model Theory"?
>.< Sorry for my...unknowingness.....
....hmmmm......yeah..... Or modes....What are modes???
if you are going to play metal, i really suggest learning the phrygian scales. It really got me used to most of the shapes that you repeatadly see in most scales, and also, if you can gain some speed, you can learn to play some really awsome metal riffs and solos.
harmonic minor is also a pretty fun scale to improvise with as well, even though im not into the whole neo classical thing.
I have no Sig. Big Deal who needs one
modes are the same as major and minor scales only you start on a different note. and the pentatonic minor scale is a good starting place but it is to often the end of the road for many players
Just google it theres a billion lessons on it. Search "guitar modes" or "modes of the major scale"
I would suggest going with Harmonic Mionr, Melodic Minor, Artificial Major keys, then pass to modes (and their respective scales)....

And then try learning the scale s that benefit your playing, pentatonics, or blues, or phrygian dominant, or chinese scale, I don't know. Over the time maybe you will want to learn all of them, and maybe create one of your own with 1/4 tones and such (kind of far-fetched isn't it? )
Something that might help as well; the Natural Minor scale IS a mode, so you've already taken a step into modes. So yeah, Google it, and you shall discover the names of modes and their various applications.
ugh i googled it but my brain just cant process this ****!
IT SUCKS
maybe it has something to do with my computer is in my living room where countless people are always talking.... Whatever the case, I shall try again!!!! tomarrow....
Quote by will0mon
Something that might help as well; the Natural Minor scale IS a mode, so you've already taken a step into modes. So yeah, Google it, and you shall discover the names of modes and their various applications.

Natural minor is not a mode, and he should not concern himself with modes until he has a firm grasp on the theory behind the major scale and diatonic harmony.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Please review the theory lesson in my signature. It covers all material necessary for heavy metal and makes sure you have a solid background in basic theory.

The big scales for metal are:
Natural Minor
Minor Pentatonic
Harmonic Minor
Phrygian
Phrygian Dominant

Anyone suggesting the TS jump into modal music does not understand the topic. Modes are typically jazzy sounding and not conducive to powerchord riffs. They are also terribly limiting if you want to play modally.

Many posts about modes and modal theory can be found by Archeo Avis and me in the first few pages of this forum.
If you're not very familiar with the theory behind the major scale, do not go into modes yet. You'll need a thorough understanding of diatonic harmony first, or else modes will simply baffle you and you won't be able to use them correctly. Also, they aren't heavily used in metal. For some slightly more exotic scales, try learning the harmonic minor, melodic minor and Phrygian Dominant. Also, work on the pentatonic scales. Learning these will give you a solid foundation for playing metal.
Quote by 1010
modes are the same as major and minor scales only you start on a different note.

This is a dangerously oversimplified view of modes, just steer clear of this statement for now.
Alright, thanks! I guess ill get started on learnin them scales!
o.O Right after this blunt
dude, there's this one scales the penatonic minor........holy crap it's incredible
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband