My band which is yet to be named consists of me, another guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer. We used to have the other guitarist's little brother as drummer, but he sucked. So, anyway, the other guitarist made up a song (really crappy) and wants us to play it. The problem is, he wrote some pop-punk **** when we are an alternative metal/alternative rock band. The drummer is sort of new to the instrument, but he is taking lessons over this summer. The other guitarist wants to kick him out and put his brother back in, who is pretty good now. And he also wants to play songs like Green Day, and all of that ****. I don't know what to do. If I kick out our other guitarist, I'll be taking a big risk, because he's actually pretty good. But, if I stay in the band, and we end up kicking out the drummer, I don't know if I will like being in the band or if the drummer will be my friend anymore.

My idea was to kick out the other guitarist, who is a lazy jerk, and add in another guitarist who I have heard is pretty good. The bass player will stay on my side. So, anyone else got ideas?
Uhhh, it depends on who you need more.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
maybe u agree to play some of their songs but also suggest some songs that you would like to play. see what happens then
Well, why not take this "crappy" song and improve on it? Take the lyrics, the fundamentals of the chord progression or riffs, and just tweak it a bit. Let everyone add their own personal touch to the song, and it will truly be a group work.

As for the drummer - hey, if he can keep a basic four-count to begin with, you're doing good. He's willing to invest time, money and energy into getting better at his instrument. That's a sign of dedication - something of a desirable quality in a bandmate.

If it comes down to it, and you can't get along with the other guitarist, sit down with him (along with the bassist and drummer), talk it over, and decide what will be best for the group.

man, that's extremely confusing. lol. but what i would do is just find another drummer, and another guitarist. There's gotta be more where you live.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
New band time.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
okay, if I got this right, this one dude wants to play pop-punk. You are not pop-punk correct? You are alternative metal or whatever. Does the rest of the band know this? If so, just have the band tell him, "dude that's not what we wanna play." If the rest of the band doesn't know, make this known and if they don't like it, tell em it ain't what you wanna do, you know "nothing against you guys, it's the music" kinda thing
If you don't like what the guitarist wrote, write something better..if you want to shoot down an idea, at least give them one of your own.
And try to work with the song and consider it before turning it down

..and about the drummer..you can't be like that in a band..you kick someone out because he's not that good?? give him some time to practice and grow. All you really need is for him to be committed. If he practices his bones off, you'll eventually end up with an awsome drummer.

last but not least If a band member is lazy and doesn't show up or that kind of stuff, give him an ultimatum and then kick him out.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by Plan_B
My band which is yet to be named consists of me, another guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer. We used to have the other guitarist's little brother as drummer, but he sucked. So, anyway, the other guitarist made up a song (really crappy) and wants us to play it. The problem is, he wrote some pop-punk **** when we are an alternative metal/alternative rock band. The drummer is sort of new to the instrument, but he is taking lessons over this summer. The other guitarist wants to kick him out and put his brother back in, who is pretty good now. And he also wants to play songs like Green Day, and all of that ****. I don't know what to do. If I kick out our other guitarist, I'll be taking a big risk, because he's actually pretty good. But, if I stay in the band, and we end up kicking out the drummer, I don't know if I will like being in the band or if the drummer will be my friend anymore.

My idea was to kick out the other guitarist, who is a lazy jerk, and add in another guitarist who I have heard is pretty good. The bass player will stay on my side. So, anyone else got ideas?

finding the right band is like falling in love. when youre with the people who youll really play well with it just FEELS right. this sounds like a damn mess man. honestly, wait around and find better people. practice on your own. work up some chops. when you meet people who care about the music you care about and want to work, youll be thankful
Quote by Freunleven
Well, why not take this "crappy" song and improve on it? Take the lyrics, the fundamentals of the chord progression or riffs, and just tweak it a bit. Let everyone add their own personal touch to the song, and it will truly be a group work.

As for the drummer - hey, if he can keep a basic four-count to begin with, you're doing good. He's willing to invest time, money and energy into getting better at his instrument. That's a sign of dedication - something of a desirable quality in a bandmate.

If it comes down to it, and you can't get along with the other guitarist, sit down with him (along with the bassist and drummer), talk it over, and decide what will be best for the group.

This is the best advice so far. The drummer is very dedicated to the band, while the other guitarist doesn't seem to care. The bass player will do anything, he cares. But, he doesn't care what I change about the band. He just wants to be in a band. The other guitarist likes our kind of music, and is willing to play for us too. So, next band practice I will take your advice and sit down and talk about it.
do you need the other guitarist?
do you think you're good enough to play without another guitarist?
if you think so then just kick him out. if you wanna lead the band, as i suspect considering this is the bandleading thread, then you have to make some sacrifices.
also, he wants to play pop-punk and you want to play alt-metal.
from what it seems like, this **** song is out of the blue. i will assume you write the band songs, so if he wants to all of a sudden change the band's style, he should just leave and write songs with his brother.
if you kick out the drummer, there isnt really any reason to take it so personally. hes just learning the instrument right, or sort of new to it, right? your band isnt a signed band, your band from what it seems is in its developing stages and changes are gonna happen a lot.
from my personal experience, leading band isnt easy. i play in a metalcore band and guitarists have gone one by one. its similar reasons too. lazy, one didnt want to be in it, and the other wasnt allowed to play with us because "it was advocating the word of the devil." just do what you think is right. if you want to preserve your band's "sound" or preserve it to allow it develop into something else, then kick out the guitarist. hes just another obstacle in your way to becoming what you want to be as a musician/songwriter.
You could always co-operate with the other musicians and be open to everyone's influences rather than limiting yourselves to one single genre.
This tends to make for a more original sound once many different influences are integrated into the band.
You could always co-operate with the other musicians and be open to everyone's influences rather than limiting yourselves to one single genre.
This tends to make for a more original sound once many different influences are integrated into the band.

+1.

There are always advantages from incorporating touches of other genres into your music. Sure, pop-punk isn't the most interesting or challenging of genres.
But if you take his chord progression and basic rhythm, twist them around a bit, add slightly unusual chords and changes, add a more aggressive edge to the lyrics, and boost the tempo of the song, you might well have something that works as a song for you...but that might well also be more accessible to your audience and to other people who might be turned off by your other songs.
Something that is important to any collective of people is you have to learn to compromise. You can't have your own way all the time, and the only way that you can make everyone happy is by doing something that everyone wants to do.

Green Day might not be your cup of tea, but if you played just one song, one that is bearable, then that would probably make the guitarist happy enough to let you all carry on doing what you all love.
Pie!
Leave the band because of musical differences and let them squabble.
Richard: Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.
Frank: [sarcastically] Really?
Richard: Sarcasm is losers trying to bring winners down to their level.
Frank: [sarcastically] Thank you for opening my eyes to what a loser I am!