I've read that turning on your amp without having anything plugged into the speaker out can make it fry, and it seems that you can't stick your headphone in there directly... How would you connect headphones to an amp's speaker output? Direct box or something?
Usually amps have a line out/headphone jack. What kind of amp do you have? If you have a separate head and cabinet, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT plug your headphones to the speaker out. If you have less than a certain impedance, it will fry your amp head and it could cause a fire.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
If you don't want a big paper weight, don't do it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
well I'm looking for an amp, and some of them don't have a headphone out, but they have a jack for the speakers in the back (I suppose if you wanted to use it with a separate cab or something). I was wondering if I could use headphones with that jack somehow.
Quote by platypus01
well I'm looking for an amp, and some of them don't have a headphone out, but they have a jack for the speakers in the back (I suppose if you wanted to use it with a separate cab or something). I was wondering if I could use headphones with that jack somehow.

No you can't, you'd need to get an attenuator or something similar to take the load. I don't get this obsession with people wanting a big amp then wanting to use headphones. Big amps are for playing loud and gigging, they don't need headphone outputs and neither should you. If you want to play with headphones then you buy a practice rig, something like a Microcube or Pocket Pod. If you need both then buy both, it'd br cheaper than buying an attenuator just so you can plug headphones into a huge amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by brleealbright
Usually amps have a line out/headphone jack. What kind of amp do you have? If you have a separate head and cabinet, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT plug your headphones to the speaker out. If you have less than a certain impedance, it will fry your amp head and it could cause a fire.

Au contraire, headphones usually have high impedance (50 ohm and up), which would fry your tube amp, not a solid state. You would definately blow your headphone speakers however as they only require a few milliwatts of power to operate.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
As the bird says buying a high wattage amp and still wanting headphones is a bit pointless. Maybe thats why MG 100 watt amps have headphone jacks. But no there isnt a way of directly connecting headphones to your speaker jacks. If you want headphones get something small to connect to.
well I was actually looking at small practice amps.... for example, the Epiphone valve junior has no headphone outs......

EDIT: also, found this on musiciansfriend.
Last edited by platypus01 at Jun 6, 2008,
That looks very similar to the Weber headphone tap i mentioned earlier. I really have zero experience with these but may get one some day.

Again, not an expert here but for small practice amps i think the key is to have a hybrid amp with a solid state power sections. Tube in preamp may be fine but because of the way power tubes Load onto the speaker directly you can't plug a headphone into an amp with Power Tubes.

I can't remember which hybrid it is that has tubes for preamp and solid state for power so maybe someone else can help here. I'm to lazy to go look it up myself.

Otherwise, just go with the headphone tap. Sorry for long post.

;
Dont know never looked for a headphone jack on a all tube amp before. Would pretty much defeat the purpose of getting tubes wouldnt it.
^not if you lived in a dorm or apt complex or grumpy parents house and wanted a tube amp over solid state and can't have both.

i would do the same thing for late night jamming (only time i can too as i have kids). exact reason i decided to keep my solid state vs selling it.

;