I am not sick so the first person that says go see a real doctor dies. Ever since I started thinking about careers I've wanted to be a physician. After tonight i don't know anymore. They made us watch this car crash trauma video where you see these doctors try to save car crash victims. Neither the blood nor the gore of the scenes bothered me but what did bother me was how desensitized these doctors were to these people around them dying, how calmly they were able to tell people that their loved ones were going to die. I know that if that were me I'd be feeling pretty similar to the family. I don't think that i could or would want to be at a point were i could watch someone die on a table in front of me and just shake it off. Anybody have an opinion on this?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

It's just another day on the job for them. Telling people that their loved ones are going to die probably happens on a pretty frequent basis.
I'm with you on this. I couldn't handle the emotional stress of something like that. Although the docs are probably only so desensitized becuase they're used to it. I'm sure they were probably a little freaked by it at first. Mind you i wouldn't really want to get used to it personally...
Go to a doctor and ask for his or her opinion.

I agree with you thought that is rough
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Several jobs need desensitization. I mean, in my first classes of Law, they told us we had to desensitze ourselves, especially those who are going into the criminal field. That's why I chose finance as my speciality. I could never represent a paedo, a rapist, a man who beats women. I'd be the one who would hit them in the face with a baseball bat.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I don't think they ever really become desensitized to it, you just have to learn to cope and not let it effect you as much as it might.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

i wanna be a doctor too. the only problem i would have with that is having too many hours and being on call. but it wouldnt be too bad.

as for the emotional stuff. i guess some people are just less sensitive. i wouldnt see it being a problem for me, which i guess maybe makes me a bad person haha. people dying is part of life.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
I honestly respect doctors for many reasons, that being one of them. Being able to emotionally tune out someone's death, is quite awesome to me..
As I always say: "Rawr"
i think i could do that, but its the gore and **** that i can't handle. If you think about it, death is a beautiful thing. if u believe in an afterlife, its like witnessing someone waking up. except ur in the dream.
Quote by umbrellacorp
I am not sick so the first person that says go see a real doctor dies. Ever since I started thinking about careers I've wanted to be a physician. After tonight i don't know anymore. They made us watch this car crash trauma video where you see these doctors try to save car crash victims. Neither the blood nor the gore of the scenes bothered me but what did bother me was how desensitized these doctors were to these people around them dying, how calmly they were able to tell people that their loved ones were going to die. I know that if that were me I'd be feeling pretty similar to the family. I don't think that i could or would want to be at a point were i could watch someone die on a table in front of me and just shake it off. Anybody have an opinion on this?
the answer is right in your OP.

you can't be surrounded by death on a daily basis and allow yourself to be rattled by it.
coping is a strength like any other. it gets stronger with practice.
does a world champion weight lifter just one day decide to lift incredible weights? of course not.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah that's horrible...

the gore would have got to me though.
You get accustomed to people dying in your presence, especially being an emergency room doctor. That calmness comes with time. It seems totally weird to you now, but if you do keep with it and become a doctor you'll eventually be able to deal with that better.

EDIT: Goddamit that's already been said. But yeah, stick with it if you want to practice medicine. I wouldn't let that deter you. It'll be all good.
Last edited by Fromotion8389 at Jun 6, 2008,
I'm no doctor... but I'm pretty sure you need a doctor
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
A doctor in my town came to my school for a presentation like that about drunk driving, and he was sayign how important it is to keep up an emotional wall so that he can keep his hands steady and keep his composure, but in this presentation he was crying cause he said he let his gaurd down but he cant when hes on the job
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Scrubs can help explain this, along with hundreds of life's other questions

like said before, they desensitize themselves. also, it's VERY important to learn to keep your work life out of your home/personal life. you sit around on your day off and think about someone that died under your care. it'll ruin your life. you have to do the best that you can and hope for the best possible outcome. all you're doing is trying to sustain their life, but even if you fail, you can't just blame yourself.

if it's something you're really interested in, go for it. achieving your goals is WAY more satisfying than dropping it and going for your backup job. never settle for less than your best.

/end cheesy speech.
...why?