Hey

I'm building my own guitar, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right pickups. The pickups I want are the ones in the Charvel EVH Art Series, but their custom made, and I'd need to get $2500 just for the pickups.

The closest thing I guess would be the Seymour Duncan '78 Model.

Does anyone know of other pickups similiar to the EVH Art Series?

THANKS!
Fender Strat Standard
Fender Super Champ XD (reissue)

uh, i would hope you would know that you're amp is utter and complete ****. getting a new amp would give you a much better sound than $2,500 pickups, or even copys.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
uh, i would hope you would know that you're amp is utter and complete ****. getting a new amp would give you a much better sound than $2,500 pickups, or even copys.

Actually, my amp sounds great with my own settings, and it is not junk. Sure, not as good as a Stack, even though I'm not too fond of the sound of a Marshall anyway.

The question was what are the closest pickups to the EVH Art Series ones.
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984
Actually, my amp sounds great with my own settings, and it is not junk. Sure, not as good as a Stack, even though I'm not too fond of the sound of a Marshall anyway.

The question was what are the closest pickups to the EVH Art Series ones.

Wow...

1 - Whatever you put through the Spider will sound exactly the same, you could use pickups that cost $5 and they'd sound exactly the same as the $2500 EVH ones.

2 - The words "marshall" and "stack" don't make a good amp; go out and research as many amp companies and their signature sounds as much as you can and you'll find something you like.

3 - Even if you did get a good amp you shouldn't get a stack because for 99% of uses they're just too much, a good 30 watt tube combo will do you for all the power and loudness you could ever need and you should only go bigger than that if the amp you want doesn't come in a small size.

4 - The spider might sound fine now but if you go out and play through a great amp you'll notice the difference; there is no comparison between the sound of a spider and something like a Cornford Hellcat or Splawn Quickrod.

5 - The spider might sound fine at lower volumes but if you ever need to turn it up (for a band type situation) then the chances are that it'll start sounding worse because they just can't handle that kind of volume, tube amps only sound better as you crank them.

So, in conclusion; get a better amp because your amp not only makes up 90% of your tone but unless you have a good one you'll never hear the difference between pickups.

Edit: I don't mean to be too harsh but there's no point spending money that you won't hear the result of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 6, 2008,
I know you didn't ask for that, but I'd have to agree with him.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
yep... replace your amp. then u can start looking for pickups.
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
After you buy an amp, go to www.highorderpickups.com and he'll custom hand wind you pickups for the same price as your regular off the shelf Seymour Duncans.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Guys, I'm just looking for a pickup that sounds like the Charvel. I'm making a guitar now because I would like to. I will keep using it when I get a new amp.

DO NOT TELL ME ABOUT MY AMP, JUST TELL ME THE CLOSEST THING TO THOSE PICKUPS!
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984
Guys, I'm just looking for a pickup that sounds like the Charvel. I'm making a guitar now because I would like to. I will keep using it when I get a new amp.

DO NOT TELL ME ABOUT MY AMP, JUST TELL ME THE CLOSEST THING TO THOSE PICKUPS!

You could be using those through your amp and it would sound almost exactly the same.

But, because you're not listening, I highly recommend that you waste your money on a set of Bareknuckle Pickups, and then come whining to us in a month when you want a new amp and have no money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
OK... So what amps in the $300-$750 range would you recommend. I heard that the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack is bad.
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984
OK... So what amps in the $300-$750 range would you recommend. I heard that the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack is bad.

You heard correctly.

I'm assuming you play Van Halen and other 80's hair metal, so I would suggest looking at:

Peavey Classic (30 or 50) - Made for Classic Rock tones, but can be boosted to do Thrash and almost anything other than ThE BrUtALZ

Crate V series (8 through 50) - Same as the Peavey Classic

Traynor YCV (20-50) - Known for its Marshall-esque tone, Made for Classic Rock, but is easily boosted like the others.

I would suggest the Traynor amps over the others, but thats my personal preference in crunch tones, so its up to you.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
The Traynor YCV50 actually has a pretty shocking amount of gain on tap...it'll do a Van Halen tone without breaking a sweat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, thank-you for those amps, and I'll check em out, but I'm not looking for that tone. I'm looking for my own hot tone. Here's a link to a video of basically the tone I'm looking for

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bLsTlaSwAok

(It's kind of hard to hear the tone since he only taps and does some screams)
Fender Strat Standard

If your amp suits you, fudge on everyone else. Your tastes may change someday.

Eddie's picup in his actual super strat is a bridge PAF from a 60's Gibson ES-335, so try for something like that.
Quote by 5150EVH1984
Well, thank-you for those amps, and I'll check em out, but I'm not looking for that tone. I'm looking for my own hot tone. Here's a link to a video of basically the tone I'm looking for

I'd still suggest the same amps for the tone you posted.

I'll +1 Steven_seagull's suggestion of the YCV50 if you are gigging. For home practice or jamming, I'd say the 20 (home practice) and 40 (jamming/gigging) would be fine, and are (as far as I know) the same amp as the 50.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by 5150EVH1984

Pickups aren't going to get you any closer with the Spider no matter how much they cost.

And that's a pretty Van Halenish tone anyway...a fairly straight-up Marshall distrtion with lots of reverb
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Midnight Murk
If you're looking for your "own hot tone," why would you bother with Van Halen pickups?

Well, the Charvel EVH Art Series aren't exactly classic Van Halen tone.
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984

It's the amp that makes the tone, not the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by 5150EVH1984

they probably aren't far off if you put them through EVH's amp and fx setup. then again, most superstrats with a hot paf-alike bridge pickup would be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's the amp that makes the tone, not the guitar.

Pickups can make a signifigant difference, even though the amp does most of it. I have a Schecter with EMG's, and the other day I tried out a cheap $120 OLP Music Man. I instantly noticed a difference, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It actually sounded more like a Music Man Axis
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984

if you're in NJ then
http://newyork.craigslist.org/msg/
will do a lot of goot for you

i've seen MANY peavey 5150 combos go in the $500 range
keep your eye open and for the best bang for the buck, go used
and i see many marshall ALL TUBE combos in this price range too
as well as mesa boogies

btw, was that original number of $2500 for a pair of pickups for real? or was that a typo?
Last edited by sethp at Jun 7, 2008,
btw, was that original number of $2500 for a pair of pickups for real? or was that a typo?

I was referring to the EVH Art Series guitar's pickups, and I was saying that if I had the money, I would buy the pickups in that guitar for $2,500 (actual price of guitar)
Fender Strat Standard

Quote by 5150EVH1984
I was referring to the EVH Art Series guitar's pickups, and I was saying that if I had the money, I would buy the pickups in that guitar for $2,500 (actual price of guitar)

Why? Pickups are pickups, there wont have been anything particularly special about them that you can't get from something that's currently in production - even if you went custom wound it'd cost you $150 tops. If you don't know enough to specify what you'd need from a custom wound pickup then you really don't need to be worrying about them this much, you've just got it in your head that they're far more important than they are. They don't make a significant difference, they make a subtle difference - they make no difference through a Spider.

The Spider is a poor amp, there's no getting a way from it. Moreover it's what I'd call a "leveller", they're an entry level amp aimed at players with entry level equipment. The circuitry and modelling is designed to compensate for crappy wood and crappy pickups, however it likewise ignores the benefits of expensive wood and pickups. The guitar contributes very little to the tone, it's pretty much just there to provide a signal.

If you had that theoretical $2500 then you could have spend it on a killer of an amp that would do everything you wanted tonally and more besides. If you spent it on that guitar you'd just have had another guitar, it wouldn't have sounded any better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Why? Pickups are pickups, there wont have been anything particularly special about them that you can't get from something that's currently in production - even if you went custom wound it'd cost you $150 tops. If you don't know enough to specify what you'd need from a custom wound pickup then you really don't need to be worrying about them this much, you've just got it in your head that they're far more important than they are. They don't make a significant difference, they make a subtle difference - they make no difference through a Spider.

The Spider is a poor amp, there's no getting a way from it. Moreover it's what I'd call a "leveller", they're an entry level amp aimed at players with entry level equipment. The circuitry and modelling is designed to compensate for crappy wood and crappy pickups, however it likewise ignores the benefits of expensive wood and pickups. The guitar contributes very little to the tone, it's pretty much just there to provide a signal.

If you had that theoretical $2500 then you could have spend it on a killer of an amp that would do everything you wanted tonally and more besides. If you spent it on that guitar you'd just have had another guitar, it wouldn't have sounded any better.

couldn't have said it better...
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
agreed. once you have a nice amp, then you can start getting different guitars, and different pickups and guitars will make quite a difference. but until you have a new, better amp, a new amp will make much more difference.

it's like on a formula one car (bear with me here, i'm not too well up on cars). they have loads of design features to shave maybe 1/10th of a second, or cut down on drag very slightly. The thing is, those things will only make a difference if you already have the $10 million formula 1 car. if you tried attaching those to, say, a yugo rustbucket, would they help you win a formula 1 race?

Of course not. They might shave a little off your time, sure, but you'll still be miles behind the pace- shaving half a second off a time which is 2 hours behind the dude in the ferrari isn't going to make all that much difference in the grand scheme of things. If you don't already have the formula one car, buying an F1 car (analogous to amp) will make much more of a difference to your times than fitting those extras (analogous to pickups) to your existing car.

But once you have the $$$ formula one car, those little things can make all the difference. Similar thing with pickups. Until you have a really nice amp, they won't make all that much difference. Once you do, though, then it's worth looking into them.

I think that makes sense, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 8, 2008,