Im thinking about buying a guitar with fixed bridge, im an ibanez guy, all my guitars are ibanez and they have floating bridges. im looking into a hardtail, would you guys go with ESP or Ibanez. Thoughts anyone?? its gonna be beween the rgt42fx, rgt6exfx, esp 400nt possibly, thoughts???
I would go with the ESP but either the rgt6exfx or the esp 400nt would be great
my Ibanez is a hardtail and it's been really good for me. it may be a low-end model but it stays in tune, has pretty decent sustain, etc. i would say just to play them all side-by-side and decide which one you like better.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
see the problem is that the music stores here in new york are not stocking all these models, they have the bolt on necks but im only looking at neck through models.
ah. well in that case, like jman said, the higher end Ibanez or the ESP.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I really do swear by my mh400nt, It's my main axe and I even "downtraded" for it going from a slsmg to a 400nt, and I'd do it again in a second, the neck is just butter to me, I love it. GL
whcih necks are thinner, the ibanez or the esp? i see the esp gives pretty easy access to higher notes but i really like a fast neck. i cant seem to find the mm measurements at fret 1 and 12 on the mh400nt.
A wizard II is thinner, faster is all up to the user, I find this neck faster than the wizard II had on my rg321mh because of sheer comfortability
ibanez=pwnage
esp=pwnage
flip a coin
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
dude i cant descide like this i really need to try out the guitars. i have an rg1570 prestige with wizard ii and i have an original wizard neck on an rg from the 90's, scalloped. i love the necks and am very comfortable with them. i just think that esp gives alot more for your buck than ibanez on the lower end models. like the mh400 comes with emg's, is mahogany with maple neck (3 piece) but the rgt42fx has stock pickups but has a 5 piece maple walnut neck. the 5 piece neck makes for less warping and is life to a guitar. its a tough call man. plus the rgt42fx comes in all shiny black, which is a color i cant resist, although the color of the esp is good too.
Out of those I would get the RGT42dx. I love mahogany, and the ibanez neckthrough has a better upper fret accest than the ESP. THe neck is also as fast as it gets.

I have a RGT42DX on which I upgraded every part because the wood work is just that much worth it. It plays better than pretty much anything.
dose it really? i played the rgt6exfx but i havent been able to locate a rgt42fx and im gonna go tomorrow and see a few esp's.
i can pick up an ibanez rgt6exfx, floor model, for 630$$ no dents or scratches, basswood body 24 fret wizard 5 piece neck with emg 81 85 dual humbucks.
Quote by nyandres
Out of those I would get the RGT42dx. I love mahogany, and the ibanez neckthrough has a better upper fret accest than the ESP. THe neck is also as fast as it gets.

I have a RGT42DX on which I upgraded every part because the wood work is just that much worth it. It plays better than pretty much anything.

Easy there biased, I mentioned that the Wizard II was thinner, however ur saying that it has better upper fret access? Neck Thru vs Set Thru? And Ibanez pickups vs. a emg 81/85? They are both mahogany as well, take your pick, the ibanez INF pickups cannot compete with EMG's for high gain tones and clarity in any sort of an imagination
no i havent played the esp so i cant comment on upper fret access in comparison, but the rgt6exfx does have excellent access in itself. see the rgt6esfx is about 850 and it is the guitar that is comparable to the mh400nt, the rgt42fx has stock ibanez pickups which really need to be changed. i think that the most bang for the buck is the esp mh400nt, the only issue is that i have no idea how it plays and my local guitar stores are all sold out of it lol.
if you say that the upper fret access is better on the esp, than thats a big point for the esp.
I'm not saying it's better, because neck thru ultimately is king for metal guitars IMO, it's damn near identical. There lol
lol see how hard the descision is, the similarities are killing me. ok ima go to the guitar shop after work tomorrow and check out what they have, ill keep you posted on what i find. i doubt ill buy anything but if i see something i fall in love with i do tend to get impulsive so ill let you know if i pick up and esp tomorrow lol. besides i already have 3 ibanez guitars, a little esp wont hurt lol.
Quote by d_byrne23
Easy there biased, I mentioned that the Wizard II was thinner, however ur saying that it has better upper fret access? Neck Thru vs Set Thru? And Ibanez pickups vs. a emg 81/85? They are both mahogany as well, take your pick, the ibanez INF pickups cannot compete with EMG's for high gain tones and clarity in any sort of an imagination

Well the RGT42 is neck through, not set through. Neck through has better upper fret access. Well at least if the RGT42 body is the same as my RGT42DX body in a fixed bridge style. The INF pickups are very good although I prefer the EMGs. Yet, I prefer almost every high gain dimarzio to the EMGs, sounding both cleaner, tighter, and more aggressive. I dont see why he wouls get the ESP. And if the body is like the one in the RGT42dx, the fret access is a lot high. Do you think I would have spent almost 500 dollars upgrading my rGT if it did not feel so great. And its one of the nicest sustaining guitars out there. And the INF pickups can sing. And in the future you will be able to change them to a nice pair of passives. With EMGs the route will kill sustain.
Pickups are a matter of opinion, but the EMG's even have more tonal characteristics than the INF's, thats an arguement I'm not even going to start. I'm not an active snob, but I find it hard to believe for HIGH GAIN TONES that the INF's have the response that EMG's do...Speaking of you talking about how an EMG kills the sustain? what the ****? I suppose by you having a floyd it doesn't kill the sustain a wee little bit does it? Everyone loves their guitar, I even credited the neck on the Ibanez over the ESP in terms of thickness...remind me to go tell everyone in the world who uses emg's to remove them asap because they have horrible sustain, ill be right back let me go tell everyone.
Last edited by d_byrne23 at Jun 6, 2008,
Not all INF's are the same... the INF1 and INF2 set is made for mid to upper range RGs, while the INF3 and INF4 set are made for low to mid grade Ibanez'.

The INF1 and INF2 set sound a lot better than INF3 and INF4 set. Not all INF's should be bunched together.
Last edited by TexasRG at Jun 6, 2008,
I never made that assumption, I've played only 1 RG with them ever, and I was just saying that compared to say an 81/85, they don't stand up very firm, as they probably shouldn't for the price you pay. Fair is fair....
ok so i went out and found the esp mh400. first off its a totally different feel than ibanez. the neck is fatter and upper fret access was not as i had expected. i looked closely at it and its a set through, you can see through the paint where the neck is set through. i think im gonna go with the rgt42fx. and yes to the previous post, the rgt42dx is exactly the same as the fx model but with an edge. i was actually looking at the rgt42dx last month but i went with the rg1570 prestige cause i grabbed the guitar and my fingers just took off, its sweet neck. man i been with ibanez for over ten years now, its gonna be hard to switch to a different brand. but im glad i got to play the esp, lol now i know. so i think its gonna be the rgt42fx. i just have a question, is the paint glosy black or flat?
texas rg so you have any closeups of the fretwork cause i want to order teh guitar tomorrow. i talked to the guy at smash and he went down to 604 on price, ima bust his chops some more tomorrow.
its beautiful, the hardest thing is gonna be waiting for it after i order lol. can you post looking down at the neck so i can see the top and back.
Here ya go sir.

Also, just wanted you to know... I added plastic pickup covers to make the pickups look more like a closed pickup. I bought the covers from allparts.com.
Last edited by TexasRG at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by ROCKSTARSPACE
did you put emg's on it??

Also, just wanted you to know... I added plastic pickup covers to make the pickups look more like a closed pickup. I bought the covers from allparts.com.

Pickup covers