My friend told me of some arrangement you can use with a couple of 6-string pickups to make it work for a 7 string guitar... he said something about shifting one of them i think... anyone know what he's talking about?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
While shifting either the humbucker (which i assume it to be, considering the genres for which 7strings are most frequently used) at the neck or bridge so that it detects the frequencies of the additional B-string will work; however, it will be detected only by whatever pickup was shifted to accommodate the string. What this means is that whenever your guitar is on a setting that doesn't use the aforementioned pickup, the low bstring will be effectively rendered useless. So, my advice would be to just purchase pickups designed for 7strings so that you won't be limited to certain tonalities in the short and long run.
Quote by Iosoce
While shifting either the humbucker (which i assume it to be, considering the genres for which 7strings are most frequently used) at the neck or bridge so that it detects the frequencies of the additional B-string will work; however, it will be detected only by whatever pickup was shifted to accommodate the string. What this means is that whenever your guitar is on a setting that doesn't use the aforementioned pickup, the low bstring will be effectively rendered useless. So, my advice would be to just purchase pickups designed for 7strings so that you won't be limited to certain tonalities in the short and long run.

dang see i was just gonna use a couple single coils from an old broken guitar of mine
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
I don't see any reason why you couldn't butt two singles up against each other, stagger them one pole and wire them in series (Provided they're RW/RP) to create a pseudo "P" humbucker.

It won't be perfect, but it should work.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"