Page 1 of 13
I just recently have seriously gotten into him (Yes you may slap me for taking this long) but is there any songs you can suggest that are not as big as say "Old man" or "Heart of Gold"?
Ambulance Bluesis my favorite of all his songs. The whole On The Beach album is really great.

Other really good songs are: Cortez the Killer, After the Gold Rush, Powderfinger, Tonights the Night, Danger Bird, and a bunch of others.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
anything and everything, get the Live at Massey Hall cd, its pretty amazing

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by civildp1

Other really good songs are: Cortez the Killer

Yes.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
Alabama
A Man Needs a Maid
There's a World
Words (Between the Lines of Age)
Are You Ready for the Country?

..hell, just go and buy the Harvest album, it's easily my favourite.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
well, i should slap you for taking this long , but at least you started, lots of people dont even get that far......

if u havent heard "rockin in the free world", thats definitley a must, it is well known tho, im assuming uve heard that one. Other than that, cinnamon girl, my my hey hey, southern man, are all good ones.
k thanks much lets just say i just dropped $40 buying his cd's

but damn thats money well spent
There's already a Neil Young thread here somewhere, but it's old so whatever.

My favorite albums are Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Zuma. I really dig listening to the bootlegs of him I have, too. The early solo tours were amazing.
Hey, I'm Mike.
+50 for Cortez the Killer, down by the river, like a hurricane, cinnamon girl, do I have to keep going?? One of the best songwriters ever IMO.
COWGIRL IN THE SAND.......
if you listen this it will give you 10 straight minutes of goosebumps
if you listen to it HIGH it will **** your mind
For the turnstiles (from On the beach) and Journey through the past (from Live at Massey Hall) are brilliant songs!
Also, if you want something less obvious like Heart of gold, on Live at Massey Hall he does it together with A man needs a maid as one song: you should check that out!
Quote by hendrixfanatic

Also, if you want something less obvious like Heart of gold, on Live at Massey Hall he does it together with A man needs a maid as one song: you should check that out!

That is one of if not my favortie songs so far. I have to say Live at messey is amazing, but so is everything i have listened to. Needle & Damage Done is also up there along with Cortez the killer, Cowgirl in the the sand.
Man, is Live at Massey Hall the greatest thing ever or what? I think it might be.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Does anybody even read the recommendation thread that I worked so hard to format?

1968- Neil Young (Hard Rock, Folk Rock, Country, Electronica, Rockabilly...) *Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere ~ After the Goldrush ~ Live Rust*
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
"Its better to burn out then fade away"~Neil Young
"I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.."

RIP Jimmy Sullivan<3
Listen to the rest of his album Harvest. Those are some great songs. Definatly his best album. (This thread should be on the first page)
Though I do enjoy Neil's solo work as well as that with Crazy Horse, I prefer him most in Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

The song Expecting to Fly completely depresses me because it is so beautiful.
I like the album 'Living With War'.....

But of course I like the big ones like 'Rocking In the Free World' and 'My My Hey Hey(Into the Black)'.......
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Ive seen him live a couple days ago and it was really good

But I'm not really fond of his "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young"-work
Apostle of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join!
My Last.fm
Quote by Absyth

I was at the same show (the Rock Werchter festival), and it was indeed awesome. He made me pickup his 1990 album "Ragged glory", which is a very hard rockin' album, with ****ing up and Love and only love on it. It's a great album, that all Neil Young fans should check out!
Quote by Absyth

But I'm not really fond of his "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young"-work

"Helpless" is amazing....
Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'...

Neil's atop my list of people I MUST see. His voice has held up incredibly.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by DayTripper1967
^ haha, i thought it was funny.

Yeah that was a good one. The subject matter isn't funny but the joke was

That would be amazing if he lived in ohio.
Massey Hall is easily one of the best.

Check out "Lets Roll". Its about 9/11. Great song, and not the typical Neil Young, it just has a different vibe. Cool stuff!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
I just feel the need to say that "A man needs a maid" is one of the most beautiful song ever written.

Cowgirl in the sand is amazing aswell, killer solos.

And sugar mountain is a great acoustic song, i wish i could write stellar stuff like that.
Quote by metallicaPOOS
I just feel the need to say that "A man needs a maid" is one of the most beautiful song ever written.

The whole Harvest album is a masterpeice. If not, then close to a masterpeice.
I seriously love every single track on the album. But yeah I think Cowgirl in the sand is great too. I have yet to not like a Neil young song.
I took ages to get into him as well- was only his song with Pearl Jam 'I Got ID' that made me truley appreciate him, so I went out and got a few of his CD's on the cheap. Thrasher from Rust Never Sleeps is fantastic.

Failing that if you can download I Got ID - i don't think it's on any other album apart from Rearviewmirror, the PJ greatest hits - it's true quality, even though it's not him singing.
Neil Young rocks! CSNY!!!

im listening to Deja Vu with my parents right now! haha
'Music is the best"
Zappa
It's '71 actually
Rolling StonesNeil YoungBob MarleyGram ParsonsAC/DCThe beatlesChuck BerryThe WhoCreedence Clearwater Revival