Page 1 of 2
I've always been a fan of punk, starting at an early age with the old Sum 41 and now progressing into Pennywise and Social D and such. But I'm curious, what are some good songs for playing? Often times, I'll run into a punk song that sounds good but ends up being a four minute power chord session. So please, do share your opinions UG.
The Gear:
Fender Frontman 25R
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Ebony
Some Rise Against and Anti-Flag are good suggestions. Although both bands utilize power chords, I think their music is a bit more complex than the average punk band. Also, have you tried Story Of My Life by Social D?
Yeah man, I just picked up that song yesterday after I bought guitar hero. Awesome. Kinda tough to figure out at first, but fun to play and listen to. Perhaps song preferences folks?
The Gear:
Fender Frontman 25R
theres no such thing as good punk
to listen to or to play for that matter

its just a bunch of whiney teenagers that want a large following so they can distribute a "message" of some sort
but have no talent
bad vocals, bad instrumentals

take up blues
Rise Against has some more complex songs. Anti-Flag is the same way. Depnding on what you consider punk, AFI has some good songs. Older AFI, especially before Decemberunderground and mostly before Sing the Sorrow.
Honestly any social d is my fav to play anytime.. They may use a lot of power Chords but if you take the time to watch any of their vids they play regular chords and power chords in the same riff =D and mike has awsome solos and intros
Quote by aedmiston

its just a bunch of whiney teenagers that want a large following so they can distribute a "message" of some sort
but have no talent

take up blues

Well that's not nice. Kind of a generalized angry stereotype. Some punk rock is amazing, musically and lyrically. It's not always a "message", that's just an ignorant stereotype. I'm not saying this to try to flame ya or nothing, I agree blues is an excellent form of guitar, but there's nothing like getting mad at the world and putting on some NOFX or Rancid.
The Gear:
Fender Frontman 25R
Quote by aedmiston

but have no talent

take up blues

I disagree, and I am a hardcore blues fan. Dead Kennedys and Black Flag are excellent bands.

That said, I despise Anti Flag with my whole being.
Ramones.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Dead Kennedys: "Police Truck"
Green Day: "At The Library", "Paper Lanterns", "The Judge's Daughter", "Dry Ice".

That's all I've got.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Quit beeping
Suicidal Tendencies has a great guitarist

Rocky George tore it up! Get "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow Whe I Can't Even Smile Today" Great album, with really tasteful guitar work.
Also check out the Crumbsuckers' "Beast on my Back" album.
early XTC stuff is all i can think of.. its not quite punk though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Anti-flag or rise against . Try either the press corpse(af) or prayer of the refugee(ra) both great songs !!!!!!!!
hope this helps sort of
the Clash, great stuff especially the self titled album and London Calling.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by BrockTandem
Learn 'Soul Doubt' by NOFX. It can get quite fiddly for a punk song.

Yeah, NOFX songs are (or can be) pretty complex.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Yea, Liza and Louise has got a wicked intro worth learning. Learn the whole song.
Try some Minor Threat... Lyle Preslar was a brilliant punk guitar player....

and +1 to Suicidal Tendancies.

also, try Bad Brains.... really great guitar work there too... and a touch of Reggae!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Misfits, even though they have some of the most easy songs to play in the world.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Well if you're into the ska-punk scene, I would suggest Reel Big Fish. Their **** can be pretty complex at times. And ska guitar is a fun thing to master.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Tster
Yea, Liza and Louise has got a wicked intro worth learning. Learn the whole song.

In fact, the whole White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean album has some ace guitar work.
jesus of suburbia / homecoming - Green day

long and pretty complex when it comes down to the solos (JOS is a little too easy though)

Try judges daughter by green day too!
Quote by aedmiston

but have no talent

take up blues

there's a punk band called decontrol that has some outstanding guitar solos in their songs, look them up on myspace

also check out the stooges (I consider them punk), Mick Jones of the Clash is good guitar player, the guy in the Subhumans plays some cool stuff, as mentioned Bad Brains

there's some good punk guitarists you just have to find them
Last edited by beep-bop deluxe at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by aedmiston

but have no talent

take up blues

You're a narrow minded fool if you honestly believe that.

The Clash
Sex Pistols
Angelic Upstarts
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphies
Black Flag
Anti Flag
Ramones
The Pogues
The Paddingtons
UK Subs
UXB

Enjoy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Would it be an out of line statement to say that Greg Ginn is the best punk guitarist?
sex pistols
ramones
clash
plasmatics
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by imgooley
Would it be an out of line statement to say that Greg Ginn is the best punk guitarist?

Not at all. There's no one like him.
Black Flag, Misfits, Ramones, and Municipal Waste. although MW is kinda half thrash.
Gibson.
Quote by Tster

+1. That song is awesome! Solos aren't complex but just right.

I also like Social D songs. Simple solos, but awesome lyrics and riffs! And IMO, I play a lot of their songs with regular chords as opposed to power chords... especially Story of My Life.

+1 to the Ramones too!!! They have fun rhythms!
Quote by aedmiston

but have no talent

take up blues

Correct me if I'm wrong, but blues was invented by slaves who had to sing about their depressing times and compose music about being sad and "Having the blues"

Basically, slave emo.

Punk>Blues In my opinion

I've been getting back into some punk recently, The Dickies have a GREAT guitarist, some of NOFX's stuff is quite complex (Seeing Double At The Triple Rock, Seperation of Church And Skate).
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Aedmiston, stop being a narrow-mined tit.

MoonageDaydream, stop being a narrow-minded tit.

I'll stump up and say The Clash. Tbh the only punk band I'd listen too, which shows they must be half decent for a narrow-minded blues elitist like me to like them
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Correct me if I'm wrong, but blues was invented by slaves who had to sing about their depressing times and compose music about being sad and "Having the blues"

Basically, slave emo.

Punk>Blues In my opinion

I've been getting back into some punk recently, The Dickies have a GREAT guitarist, some of NOFX's stuff is quite complex (Seeing Double At The Triple Rock, Seperation of Church And Skate).

In fairness to the slaves, they actually had more of a reason to complain about (the whole being slave thing) then the middle class emo kids mad at their parents

punk is not better then blues, nor is blues better then punk, they are just different
check out screeching weasel. specifically the songs "cindy's on methadone" and "my right"
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Page 1 of 2