right now i'm restringing my guitar and i've decided to experiment with top wrapping on my epi lp
i was told that when you top wrap you have to lower the stopbar until it is touching teh body but my stopbar doesn't go down that far. Can anyone help?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
It should. Sometimes i see pics of Stop Bars strung normally that are that low. I guess just take it down as low as itll go.
bump
anyone else? i need help pretty quickly if possible
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
what is top wrapping?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
what is top wrapping?

It's when you put the strings through the bar backwards (going away from the neck) then wrap them around the top of the bar and string it normally. This method does multiple things. I've noticed it makes the strings feel a bit more springy, but that may just be because it was a friends guitar and he uses lighter strings than I do. But the real point of it is to lower the bar down to the body, thereby letting all the vibration flow into the body of the guitar, producing more sustain. It also makes it easier to have higher action, because the strings won't be at such a huge angle on the TOM. ZW uses this method.

Beware, if you don't like it, take the strings off fast. They will make marks on your SB, which if you can't clean them will look really odd there if you decide not to do it again. I've really thought about before I try this personally just getting a really cheap bar to try it with, then if I like it use the matching one and if not just go back to the old, mint condition, SB.
Honestly, none of my stopbar guitars actually contact the body of the guitar with the bar.
They are close, but they do not touch.
Just tighten the posts all the way down and that will be plenty, as long as the top of the stop bar is below the bridge.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by edusty2010
It's when you put the strings through the bar backwards (going away from the neck) then wrap them around the top of the bar and string it normally. This method does multiple things. I've noticed it makes the strings feel a bit more springy, but that may just be because it was a friends guitar and he uses lighter strings than I do. But the real point of it is to lower the bar down to the body, thereby letting all the vibration flow into the body of the guitar, producing more sustain. It also makes it easier to have higher action, because the strings won't be at such a huge angle on the TOM. ZW uses this method.

Beware, if you don't like it, take the strings off fast. They will make marks on your SB, which if you can't clean them will look really odd there if you decide not to do it again. I've really thought about before I try this personally just getting a really cheap bar to try it with, then if I like it use the matching one and if not just go back to the old, mint condition, SB.

OH
i have heard of that before, but didnt know the term. i have never tried it myself.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bi-ah!
OH
i have heard of that before, but didnt know the term. i have never tried it myself.

Yeah, I know a ton of people who have heard of it but no one ever seems too interested in trying it . I personally liked my friends LP with it done, he hated it tho, so it's not for everyone.
Quote by edusty2010
Yeah, I know a ton of people who have heard of it but no one ever seems too interested in trying it . I personally liked my friends LP with it done, he hated it tho, so it's not for everyone.

i would try it, but im afraid that if i didnt like it i would have to wast a good set of strings...and more importantly...$6 for more
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
It seems to work on LPs better than some other guitars. If the bridge and stop piece are really close in height might not be enough tension on the saddles. It works really well on one of my LPs but not the other. You can try it and always put the strings on the other way if you want. I tried it with one of mine then took the strings off and put em on the normal way.
The Stop Bar should touch the body on a Les Paul.

They touch the body on both my LPs.

I also love top wrapping mine. I find it does make bending easier. Same with virbratos.
okay i've taken a couple of pics here:
this is one for those who don't know what tap wrapping is

and this is my current predicament:

as you can see the stopbar doesn't go all the way down and touch the guitar's top. the screws prevent it from doing that
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Yea it really shouldnt actually touch the body. The studs are made in a way that it wont and think of what the stop bar would do the paint on your guitar clamped tight against the body. The strings and stop bar look ok in the pic. But the strings will wear the gold off where they go over top.
oh okay thanks
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag