My friend wants me to help him out with choosing a bass but I play guitar and don't know anything about basses...

He is going to start learning so what kind of bass should he get, with what kind of amp.
1. His budget is 4-5 hundred
2. We listen to hard rock
3. It needs to be cool
I think an OLP Stingray would be cool. Or a Squier Vintage Modified J bass. With a Fender Rumble amp. I kinda like those. Unless hes gigging. Then he needs a few hundred more.
try a Squier or an Ibanez.
try for a loud amp.
don't get Epiphone or Behringer.
read the FAQ.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Most of the tone comes from the amp, so aim for a Fender or GK amp and maybe a Squier bass.
squier is **** get an ibanez
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by albinokrikit

I'm sorry you feel that way. Now go wash out your mouth.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by DuhSpesoBoyz
My friend wants me to help him out with choosing a bass but I play guitar and don't know anything about basses...

He is going to start learning so what kind of bass should he get, with what kind of amp.
1. His budget is 4-5 hundred
2. We listen to hard rock
3. It needs to be cool

Why?
Quote by SHEEM
Why?
Well at a guess I'd say if it's pink with fairies painted on it then he wouldn't be wanting to play it in front of friends, or be as likely to pick it up and practice. Like it or not, these things are important.

I don't know what's cooler, better for rock music and as good value for money on a budget as Ibanez...I certainly can't think of anything.
1. Is that dollars or pounds or euros or bananas or what?
2. Does he need to get BOTH a bass and an amp with that?

And Yeah, I own an Ibanez GSR200, good bass, would recommend trying it, £180 from gak i think, but don't quote me on it, but in a shop i doubt it'd be more then £200
Quote by albinokrikit

Squier guitars may be sh*t, but the basses certainly aren't for the price. Don't go around saying someting is sh*t unless you have the backup. Which is going to be hard if you're slating off an entire brand.
Quote by albinokrikit

Great, a guitarist, Squier basses are not the same as Squier guitars. And the VM line that Squier introduced is pretty damn good, enought to compete with a MIM with a good setup.
Check out Craigslist, you can get some good deals from there.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.