Well, Ive stopped playing straight up metal, so Im looking for a new head.

I basically plan to sell my head used and save up to around 2k between the money from the ENGL and my own money.

For a cab, I will most likely get an Emperor 2x12 and for a guitar I am going to possibly build a warmoth jazzmaster based off of Kurt Ballou's from Converge or a Telecaster or I might have my buddy make me one.

Now for heads, I am looking at a variety of things...mainly an Orange Rocker 30, a VHT 50CL, and Sovtek Migs (I know big jump). I want to spend around $1000 on the head, probably used. What do you guys recommend?

Im going to play a variety of stuff between Converge, QOTSA, Therefore I Am, Russian Circles, Mogwai, Minus the Bear, etc. I want a bit of gain for pinched harmonics if I feel the need and its just so hard for me to try them all side by side (I have tried them all indevidually)

What else would you all recommend?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
You're selling an ENGL?

Which head do you have? The Peavey JSX is extremely versatile...

I know right? Powerball. It pains me to sell it but, I cant exactly afford to keep it at this point.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
I know right? Powerball. It pains me to sell it but, I cant exactly afford to keep it at this point.

What's the reason you "can't afford to keep it" ?? Saving for a car? Tubes?

Anyways I'd still recommend the JSX...
Check out some of Hughes & Kettner's stuff. Switchblades are very versatile and can be had for ~$1000 used. And if you can stretch your budget to lets say, $1300, you can find either a Duotone or a Triamp mk1 which are amazing sounding amps.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by DiMeTiMe
What's the reason you "can't afford to keep it" ?? Saving for a car? Tubes?

Anyways I'd still recommend the JSX...

I only have one guitar ATM and I want to get a fender...I have no cab because of some other ****. So I just have an ENGL lol. I'd rather get a cheaper head and have more money to spread out on more gear. Howd the orange be?
Quote by tarlkea
Orange Rocker for sure. Probably the most versatile head I've ever played. It can do high gain if you stick on OD in front. I managed to dial in a great Russian Circles/Pelican type tone, and then go straight from to a Coheed & Cambria crunch. Probably best you try it out though, the voicing is quite vintage, so youm ight to change the tubes out for something more modern sounding.

And if you have any tips on how to get Kurt Ballou's tone then please share, I've been trying to nail it for nearly 3 years now
Quote by treflip
Orange Rocker for sure. Probably the most versatile head I've ever played. It can do high gain if you stick on OD in front. I managed to dial in a great Russian Circles/Pelican type tone, and then go straight from to a Coheed & Cambria crunch. Probably best you try it out though, the voicing is quite vintage, so youm ight to change the tubes out for something more modern sounding.

And if you have any tips on how to get Kurt Ballou's tone then please share, I've been trying to nail it for nearly 3 years now

Get a badcat and THD, get a first act sheena and customize it and put an EMG in the bridge...lol Then run all through an Emperor and a Marshall 1960A

I saw them last weekend. Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by treflip
I'm seeing them for the first time in July. So stoked.

They rule so hard. Boston pride yo!

But Im gonna have to go try out an orange again soon.
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King
They rule so hard. Boston pride yo!

But Im gonna have to go try out an orange again soon.

I might sell / trade my powerball for something else too.
Yeah the money I can make by selling it can get me an excellent new rig so yeah haha

Im looking into trying to find a used Bad Cat. Those rule.
Quote by tarlkea
/cheers for being a Converge fan

Anyways, Kurt uses two different Bad Cats live (a Hot Cat and a Black Cat I believe), which are semi-low watt (like 30 or so) tube heads that sound great, but cost A LOT (like 1.5k - 2k USED). He also uses/used a THD Flexi 50, which is a single channel tube head that sounds pretty versatile, but again costs quite a lot (not too too bad new, but for the money, there's a lot better out there). I haven't seen too many on ebay, but the Bad Cat Lynx seems to be really sweet sounding; smooth cleans to all out hardcore breakdown. Sadly, I've seen them around 2k (new I believe).

I hateo plug the Mesa DC series again, but either a DC-3 or DC-5 head would do a good job at that. I'm also a Converge fan (Kurts weird tunigs [if i actually have them right] and weird chord voicings keep me on my toes while playing), and it can do a nice crunch, but depending on how I set it it can be either brutal, or reserved (I've done Rush songs, adjusted the preamp gain, switched around the Graphic EQ and bashed out some Fault and Fractuce). The clean channel is akward to set up at first (seeing as it can do Metallica with the gain pulled and master maxed out), but with a low gain setting and a low channel master setting the cleans are really nice sounding. I've been able to half ass Minus the Bear like cleans (and Dave uses a Mesa Lonestar, which is basically a Twin Reverb with a bitchin overdrive channel) out of it with my two guitars that have ****ty-god-knows-what-brand-foreign-import pickups, so if you have a decent guitar, it should sound LOADS cleaner and smoother. Actually, thinking of Minus the Bear, maybe try out the Lonestar or Stilletto series from Mesa.

I noticed you listed Orange amps above, and if you can try one, try the Rockerverb 50. It's used by a wide variety of artists, from technical metal acts to pop-punk groups, so I'm sure it can handle your needs. I tried the VHT Pittbull 100CL, and I really liked it, but like my Mesa, the clean channel can distort and play pretty heavy stuff if you don't set it right, but when it's EQ'ed well, it's smooth. The Lead Channel is BRUTAL. From Zeppelin to Meshuggah, it could do a lot and never loose clarity, even with the mids completely scooped out.

And this may seem weird, but I also suggest checking out the Ampeg VL-1002. It's an old amp (from the 80s i believe), and can do nice sounding cleans, and really crunchy and clear distortion. I was actually looking into the head as an upgrade, but I played a Mesa DC head and haven't looked back. ^_^

Hope my long a.ss post helped (and forgive any spelling errors, my computer's acting weird).
Yeah. If its possible, I might be able to afford a Blackcat but I dont know yet. Im probably going to have Warmoth make me his jazzmaster too.

Im going to look into the VHT mainly because its a bit more versatile than the others.
Quote by tarlkea
What about if I ran two Sovtek Migs? A 50 and 100?
Quote by tarlkea
backup....other than that no. lol

How much can I sell my PB for prob?
Quote by tarlkea
try out a tranyor YCS amp. (not the YCV) they totally look like old man amps, but they're crazy versatile. i want one for metal, my uncle tried it out and liked it for his stuff (rock, blues, country) its a freakin chameleon.

even if you don't go with one, i still highly recommend you give one a shot
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.