Hey I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some good bass cabinet brands... I am really new to buying cabinets, and my band is going to need me to purchase one so I would like to know what a good durable bass amp would be and what a good header would be to go along with it... I am not looking to spend that much but I do want some bang for my buck... Thanks
A good one that isnt too expensive but has gotten the job done for me for about five years and a million gigs is an Ampeg B2-RE with an ampeg 4x10 cab. I swear by Ampeg because you can't beat that classic tone. On the other hand, you should go try out alot of different cabs and amps in your price range and see what suites you best, because no one but you knows what you will really like.
So it goes.
If you want durable bass cabs I can only recommend Trace Elliot. Ive played loads of beat up to hell ones at rehersal studios, schools etc and they still maintain great sound quality and are structurally sound.

If you want durable, go for a cab that's used, been gigged a lot, and respected. Life will weed out the lesser cabs and leave you with the good ones! Asthetic damage is purely superficial and if you're gigging, its gonna get knocked about, dropped, set on fire to and the likes, so why buy a new cab at a premium for it to be damaged?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I know countless people who swear by the tone of Hartke's aluminium drivers! They're brilliant things, and I'd definitely rate them way up there with the boutique brands when it comes to tone. But be warned, they weight quite a lot, as do most cabs in that price range.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
He said bang-for-buck, I can do it.

If you want bang for your buck, look no further than Carvin. It's probably the best deal in all of North America. It gets a little dicey overseas, but if you're American it's what you're looking for. I would check out the BX600 and the BR210 or BR115. Maybe both. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=7
You could also check out Avatar cabs. They're supposedly quite good, though I've never used one myself.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Kgoodrich
Ampeg

/thread

If you are going to post "/thread" please give supporting evidence. Ampeg are not the be-all and end-all of bass cabs, far from it. TS, check out Hartke cabs with an Ashdown head, great sound.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I think avatars look pretty nice.All of them are neos so their not heavy as other brands.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Check out some David Eden cabs, if they're alittle pricy for you, check their cheaper but ****in awesome still cabs Nemesis.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Well my band plans on playing Metalcore/hardcore but I have alot of jazz influence in my bass lines, I am popping and slapping in it so I am really not quite sure what I need...
Well, if you can get them, go for an Ashdown MAG, They're made by Trace-Elliot so pretty damn good build quality especially for the price and are very versatile.

I found Hartke's are very harsh sounding, especially when popping notes, they sound veyr shrill. On the other hand the aluminium makes them lighter than most cabs.

Ampegs have a great all round sound, but i found them to be more expensive than the Ashdowns
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
Quote by bassandcello
A good one that isnt too expensive but has gotten the job done for me for about five years and a million gigs is an Ampeg B2-RE with an ampeg 4x10 cab. I swear by Ampeg because you can't beat that classic tone. On the other hand, you should go try out alot of different cabs and amps in your price range and see what suites you best, because no one but you knows what you will really like.

Hi, I'm interested to know which 4 x 10 cab you are using. I've just purchased the same amp head with the 4 ohm version cab (B410HLF) which is rated at 400W. I'm finding that I'm having to drive the amp almost full on to make any sort of impact in the band set-up we have (which isn't excessively loud). I would also be grateful for any advice you could give on tonal set-up to allow me to cut through without losing too much bottom end. I'm using a new 60's vintage Jazz (Mexican).
Ok after talking about the bass cabinets I should get I have another question about Bass Cabinets... I understand the more wattage one has in their bass cabinet the louder the sound it is... but what about the ohms? i am not quite sure what the purpose of those are...
Quote by Bass Forum FAQ
5. Matching Heads with Speaker Cabinets (Ohms, Wattage etc.)

This is a tricky but very important area. Pay attention and some maths are involved, nothing complicated but it can be a bit daunting especially when the health of your speaker cab and head depends on it. Basically for your head and cab to match you need to “match” the ohm and watts. I’ll break it down into the separate parts to make it easier.

Ohms – They’re the impedance of the cabinet and it will say what the ohm rating is. The head will require a match between the ohms of the cabinets and the ohms that the head itself produces in order to get the highest output but we’ll worry about that later. For now, you need to be more than or equal to the minimum ohm rating given on the amp. This tends to be 4 ohms, although 8 and 2 ohm amplifiers exist.

For example, our amp produces 100% of it's output at 4 ohms. This means you can connect an 8ohm cabinet or a 4ohm cabinet and have no trouble. 4ohms would be where the amp is most efficient and have the greatest output. If you used 8ohms, the output will be reduced down to the region of 60%.
You can use two 8ohm cabinets to draw the full output from the head however. To do this you would wire them up in parallel, using both the speaker outs on the back of you head. If you were to have them in series, their impedance would be 16ohms and would only draw about 30-40% of the output of the head.

As your head is 4ohm minimum you must not wire speaker cabinets which would give you 2ohm draw. This would force the amp to work over its rating; it could over heat; start a fire; burn your house down; kill your kitten and you’d have no bass amp to play on. 2ohms could be achieved by wiring two 4ohm cabs in parallel so if you want a full stack with two cabs, go for 8ohm cabs to be on the safe side.

Wattage – The watts rating is how powerful the head is. Speaker cabinets also have a wattage rating. It is very important that the head and cabinet wattage matches or the cabs wattage exceeds the wattage of the head. If the head is “over powering” the speakers, you will blow your speakers. Most brands of amps will make a matching series of cabinets to go with their heads to avoid such trouble!

People should srsly read that FAQ

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9