Poll: Is the Bass Unappreciated???
Poll Options
View poll results: Is the Bass Unappreciated???
Yes
24 89%
No
3 11%
Voters: 27.
In my band I'm the bass
but i am never noticed ... i neeed a list of songs to make
me be recognised, because this is unfair and un-called for
also do you think the bass is unappreciated
Poor bass...

They're absolutely necessary, yet never appreciated at all.
Get a flashy bass so people look at you. When people look at you and see you playing, they listen closer to hear your part.
i agree with u..bass is very underappreciated by most fans but i think musicians respect the instrument and the player
Serious but there are the people who have made songs that are all about the bass
we need a list of 'em
Most people think bass is unimportant. However, if you play a song without the bass, it sounds empty. I'm the bass player and singer in my band, so I do get noticed.
i agree the bass is like the mysterious guitar...
it's always there but noone ever realises
Quote by pdp999
Serious but there are the people who have made songs that are all about the bass
we need a list of 'em

listen to the lemon song by led zeppelin, the bass is sick during the middle
what genre is your band

learn slap bass and way more people will appreciate you just look at flea and les claypol
i guess it depends...if you are just playing the bass then probabaly u might have a hard time getting noticed ....however if you are providing lead vocals or even backup vocals then people are gonna notice you.... ex: Tom Araya for Slayer or Jason Newsted ex-Metallica....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
learn slap every one notice you when you beat the S**t out of your instrument just look at the drummer
Have solo fights and cream them all. That's how I became appeciated by my jam buds.

But, I still can't beat the people at my church.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
uhh.. try some progressive =D Blotted Science (now THAT is one sick bassist...he's like... the whole band plus 5) , Spastic Ink or maybe even Dream Theater.
Best band of all time: OPETH.
I love angela Gossow. do you?
Quote by Garret.
My friend found nudity on youtube the other day

that was definitely a highlight of my life
korn has a kick ass bassist, then again that part of thier sound to get him noticed...alot of the time the bass does exactly what the guitar player does so it kinda get lost
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
see the FAQ, that has something on it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
While i do think they are under appreciated by the majority of non-musicians, i think that people who play an instrument can understand the value of a bassist, or any band member, and appreciate them more. That's how it went for me. I started playing guitar, which is when i was also using my iPod a lot ironically, and I had a whole new perspective on the deal.
pdp999, you said your band's alternative so maybe some Nirvana would be a good choice? Krist Novoselic's bass lines really drove the songs (even the simple line in Smells Like Teen Spirit is memorable). My recommendations are "Sliver" and "Lounge Act", they're easy enough to learn and have really hooky bass riffs (both open with the bass as well).

And on a completely irrelevant note, you get +1 for defending drummers.
u literaly SLAP the string with ur thumb. listen to the red hot chili peppers:

tell me baby
higher ground-(opening slap/pop intro of bass. listen to this song it will explain all)
knock me down
aeroplane
and others
well my band is alternative and(the best)...
Classic Rock
Also I'm not competing chewablemoo I just wanna b appreciated cuz i work my butt off for those suckas
Oh, also, do a bass solo during a jam or performance, a bass player in a band that played at our school did that today, and it was awesome, he was tapping and everything. Except slap. No slap. It was an awesome bass too. 5 string.
bassists even if they r not heard they r felt. kuz if u play a song without bass it is seriously lacking in punch/low end. so musicians do appreciate and notice a good bassist.

but if thats not good enough for u just go Ape **** on stage and headbang and move around. (idk if u play music that is moshable or not)
well i have a four string fernandez and i can't find a solocuz whenevr i search for one it only comes ups with guitar solos
If you want songs to learn go here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540804

If you want to learn to slap, search the forums. You will find a mountain of threads on it.

While I understand the whole not being noticed thing do we really need a whole thread on it?
Also if it bothers you that much maybe you shouldn't play bass.
fretsoffury if you think we don't need a thread for it then please just don't reply to it...
but thanks for the suggestion its actually really appreciated
(unlike the bass)
Quote by pdp999
baldorr i need some moshable music...
or any other kind

For the love of all that's bass, use the search bar, use the FAQ, use the What songs should I learn. Stop whining, find another band if you aren't happy. Or another instrument.

This is like some bad entitlement or inferiority complex thread. We all love bass--so should you. And btw..this one has been done to death several times.

Sorry I am closing this puppy down....