I've been trying to play some Smashing Pumpkins songs and I decided to try out Zero. Unfortunately, the song involves Artificial Harmonics on the low E string. I can do them fairly well on the G, B, and high E strings, but above that, I can't. I usually just strike the string with my thumb a split second after picking. Is it the same with the thicker strings? I can't for the life of me get any sort of AH on the low E string.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Actually for that song just turn your drive up, and lightly touch the E string and move your fingers up, thats how he does it
yes its the same, u just have to realize the string is bigger, and vibrating more, so u have to not strike down so much. keep at it and ull find that sweet spot.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
if you have a guitar with single-coil pickups, it can be hard (****ty pickups dont work too well either), but try picking in different areas on the strings you cant get to work and put a little 'shimmy' into it (vibrato it)
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by masterk1818
Actually for that song just turn your drive up, and lightly touch the E string and move your fingers up, thats how he does it

Is that how he's able to do harmonics on chords?
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Quote by HeroOfTheNight
Maybe it's just that he's doing natural harmonics?

Not on Cherub Rock, he's sliding.

Jeff

For me, it's much harder on the higher strings, try doing them on a different place around the pickups, there are "sweet spots" that have a tendency to vary(at least for me) as I move from string to string.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
Im not sure if this is the most common way but I always do AH's with upstrokes. I sort of hybrid pick the string with thumb and pick simultaneously. Works good