I decided to grow out my nails for the first time a couple weeks ago.

Right now my P and I finger nails extend about a millimeter and the M and the A are just under that.

I have a few questions though about some specifics.

How long should I be growing them?
What shape is best to have each nail in?
What's the best way to go about polishing each nail?
Should I be eating anything special or taking any supplements for better nails?
Should I be applying any sort of topical creams or substances to my nails?

I also have a Stratocaster I've been been playing with 11's dropped to drop B tuning. (It's for a Rachmaninoff Prelude I'm working on). Will it damage my nails in any way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
I suggest press on nails if you play a steel string, electric or acoustic, as well. and don't cheap out and buy some at the drug store, get them done professionally.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Alex The Red

I also have a Stratocaster I've been been playing with 11's dropped to drop B tuning. (It's for a Rachmaninoff Prelude I'm working on). Will it damage my nails in any way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

1 & 2) Grow them as long as you want, nail length and shape is all personal preference. You can even go nail-less if you want.

3) Sorry, I don't polish my nails so I can't help you

4) I don't apply anything to my nails and they are fine, although you can apply something to make your nails tougher if they break easy. I'm sure there are many other things you can apply to them but I don't apply anything and never have so I'm not sure.

5) Why would it damage your nails? The dropped tuning wont really hurt your nails and neither will the strings not being nylon(unless you nails break really really easily).

I file mine to that the slope grows away from the string. So looking at the back of my hand the slope points to the rights.

I use diamond dust files for general filling and then I use very very very thin sand paper over the top softly to remove imperfections.

No.

Possibly. Depends how soft your nails are and how often they break. You might want to put on transparent nail polish.