i'm really GASing over these guitars....there's so many to choose from!!

i don't care about looks all i care about is SOUND. i need to know if they will REALLY sound as good as a gibson les paul w/ a pup swap? it WILL be played through tube amps. i want to make sure it's gonna be a worthy investment. i already have a G-400 which has proved to be an awesome versatile working-man's axe. but the Agile is my concern, it's hard to convince me that for $200 BRAND NEW i'm gonna get quality.

now if the volume/tone pots wear out over short time, or the toggle switch, that's not a big deal. i just want to know if the wood quality is nice for a les paul, and if the hardware is good too? the tuners?

i'll have a few hundred in cash soon to blow on whatever and i'm thinking of getting one of these if they're worth it.

thanks!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000natspaltedthin.html

oh yea and it's either between that agile or this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1475.html

both are EXTREMELY sexy. i can't decide which one will be best though...looks wise.

also, what's the big difference w/ the slimmer neck profile? i don't really shred too much, more on blues inspired solo work and heavy riffing. if that helps any....

these guitars are SOOO sexy...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yeah, a thinner neck should help. The second one is much nicer!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I had an AL3000 and I got rid of it because it makes my back hurt. They're heavy but I guess that's to be expected from les pauls.
^Well thats mainly because they're solid slabs like the old Gibby LPs and aren't chambered like the newer models. But anyways I'm sure TS you'll be happy with the Agile, like you said just swap out the pups and you'll have a great guitar.
Do Agiles sound like Gibson Les Pauls. No. The only thing that sounds like an LP is an LP. Yeah they cost 2 grand, but IMHO they are worth every penny. Plus, it saves you from getting a new guitar for some time.
i'm sure the Agile would last just as long as a gibson, it does have a solid reputation after all. but that is to be seen. Well i think i'm convinced on my next guitar!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
if you want a gibson type sound then you might be happier with the AL-3100m it definitly has the best bang for your buck. Or you can wait for a 4000 model to come out. They used to have them a little while ago and those would have been pretty damn close to a gibson
Quote by bWsWwrestler
if you want a gibson type sound then you might be happier with the AL-3100m it definitly has the best bang for your buck. Or you can wait for a 4000 model to come out. They used to have them a little while ago and those would have been pretty damn close to a gibson

Yeah currently they're out of stock, you can email kurt and ask when they'll be getting more in. It shouldn't be too long now, maybe a month or two. But you really want to go for as high of number as possible.
ok ok... i say get the first one, i dont think chrome and white go togheter lol but just change the bridge pickup the neck pick up is very nice and yes my agile with pup change is comparable to my gibby standard, the quality of agiles are way better then gibsons imo
you know, epiphones usually dont cost that much more than those agiles do, maybe 100-300 bucks more, and since epiphone is made by gibson i would just go and get an epiphone. just sayin.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by cj10schmelzer
you know, epiphones usually dont cost that much more than those agiles do, maybe 100-300 bucks more, and since epiphone is made by gibson i would just go and get an epiphone. just sayin.

NO FAIL MAN!!! unless if your going to try out over 15 of the same model of epiphone dont get it
Quote by thisismyacc
ok ok... i say get the first one, i dont think chrome and white go togheter lol but just change the bridge pickup the neck pick up is very nice and yes my agile with pup change is comparable to my gibby standard, the quality of agiles are way better then gibsons imo

HAH! My al3000 has a twisted neck so it's better than a gibson?

There's a reason agiles and any other crap from rondo are cheap. You get what you pay for.
Quote by PanHead

There's a reason agiles and any other crap from rondo are cheap. You get what you pay for.

^Actually it's cheap because it's factory-direct (albeit Korean but factory-direct). They'd probably be 200-300 bucks more expensive if they had to go through another middle man.
I've never played an Agile, so I cannot give any sort of definitive comment. All I would say is that LP copies come in all shapes and sizes.. and qualities. Some are really, really awesome. Some are not. I would say for $200 new (which works out to something like £120 in my money) that you wouldn't be getting anything worth owning. Gibson's prices are ridiculous, but it's true (to an extent) that you get what you pay for, and you're going to have to pay more than that to get a nice guitar. In English pounds, the threshold over which you are in "decent guitar" territory is around £300 new. So that's what, $500 or something like that? Not so much with tremolo guitars, but certainly with solid bridge ones. I would not waste money on any guitar that costs £120 new. It's bound to be trash.

You're obviously after the GNR sound (like many before you). I would simply advise that you make a larger investment. Get a nice Tokai or something. Or, buy a pre-2004 Epiphone second hand. These were made in Korea (not China/Indonesia like the current ones), and are very nice guitars. I have a 2003 one, and it compares really well to my Gibson. What other ones? Erm, Vintage's LP copies were highly-regarded by budget guitarists for a time, but I believe they've fallen out of favour, as the new ones are crap. You don't have to get a Gibson, and there are many nice copies out there. You still need to spend a fair amount of money though. A guitar is a finely engineered instrument, not a toy. If you buy one of those dirt cheap ones, all you're really getting is a toy.

Quote by slash_rocks2005
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000natspaltedthin.html

oh yea and it's either between that agile or this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1475.html

both are EXTREMELY sexy. i can't decide which one will be best though...looks wise.

also, what's the big difference w/ the slimmer neck profile? i don't really shred too much, more on blues inspired solo work and heavy riffing. if that helps any....

these guitars are SOOO sexy...

I'd go with the first one, I think Alpine White LPs look crap. As for the neck profile- pretty simple.. it's slimmer. I don't know about the Agiles ratios, but I'd imagine they're modelled on the Gibson necks. If you've ever played an Epiphone LP, then you know what a 60's neck feels like (all Epis have the slim taper 60's neck). If you've ever played a Gibson with a really chunky neck, then you know what that feels like. Most players prefer the slimmer neck, since, in the scheme of modern guitars, it's really just your average neck. It's not especially slim. However, blues guitarists tend to go for the thicker neck, so they can really dig in and whatnot. For you (since you obviously bum Slash) I'd imagine the slim neck would be better.

Quote by thisismyacc

You must be joking.

Quote by Wakisazhi
^Well thats mainly because they're solid slabs like the old Gibby LPs and aren't chambered like the newer models. But anyways I'm sure TS you'll be happy with the Agile, like you said just swap out the pups and you'll have a great guitar.

Only certain Gibson models are chambered. There seems to be this myth that they all are. If you look on their website, they specifically state on certain models that they are chambered. The reason why the normal modern LP Std is lighter than the vintage one, is that in the 'golden-era', Gibson were getting the best mahogany from Cuba. However, these days there's a trade-embargo with Cuba, and so Gibson get mahogany from somewhere else, and it's not as dense as Cuban mahogany. I have a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Std Limited Edition, and it's a heavy guitar. Not as heavy as a genuine 1958 Les Paul, but then nothing is.
^Really? I could've sworn that the Gibson LPs now have holes drilled out to relieve some of the weight, it's not chambering per say but the concept is the same. But anyways I really don't think any of your post bears weight that much. Like you said you obviously haven't played one so I don't think you can say as much as you did about them. Of course it's a big claim to say they're better than Gibsons but overall quality is in the end subjective and I'll have you know that Agiles have a VERY solid reputation and following. I'd really have to feel that they must be doing something right if people swear by these things side-by-side to actual LPs (after a pup-swap of course, but this is almost common knowledge).
Trouble is when cheap guitars come out they are nice and sleek, fantastic playing and all that. Wait a few years and you'll know the truth.

Look at the craigslist, it's full of those guitars and the owners will say fantastic stuff and that they need money, blah blah but the truth is they're trying to unload the dogs.

I've bought a whole bunch of cheap guitar ($100 to $400 or so) and they're all gone. Same with cheap amps. What you see in my sig is what I got left and real keepers at that.
No I haven't played an Agile. I wouldn't play a £120 or even £200 one, either. I'm sure they must do higher-end models, though. It must be these models which people swear by. There's literally no chance that a £120 guitar would stand up to the Gibson, pickup change or not. The frets would be garbage, for a start. So you'd need a re-fret. The electronics in general probably wouldn't be much good. Not just the pickups. I wasn't bashing Agile as a brand. That there guitar had to be one of their low-end models, which I was just saying wasn't worth bothering with. And no, not all modern Les Pauls are weight relieved. Only certain ones. This is what I have been told and have read, anyway. I'm aware it's a confusing matter with many different sources saying different things. Certainly, my Gibson is not a light guitar.
most gibsons nowdays for the past few years have been chambered, they are lighter and i havent noticed any sort of sustain lose

i agree with the fact that agile guitars probably arent as good as a gibson, but im more than willing to believe they are way more cost effective
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Martin Scott
No I haven't played an Agile. I wouldn't play a £120 or even £200 one, either. I'm sure they must do higher-end models, though. It must be these models which people swear by. There's literally no chance that a £120 guitar would stand up to the Gibson, pickup change or not. The frets would be garbage, for a start. So you'd need a re-fret. The electronics in general probably wouldn't be much good. Not just the pickups. I wasn't bashing Agile as a brand. That there guitar had to be one of their low-end models, which I was just saying wasn't worth bothering with. And no, not all modern Les Pauls are weight relieved. Only certain ones. This is what I have been told and have read, anyway. I'm aware it's a confusing matter with many different sources saying different things. Certainly, my Gibson is not a light guitar.

Gonna have to call you out on this one. I own an AL-2000, one of the lower end models, and the frets are amazingly smooth and well cut. I've played other lower end models with rough frets, ****ty frets, and just plain wrong frets, but these are amazing.

I'm not a big enthusiast on the electronics, the pup selector was broken from start, but they sent me a free replacement. I'm gonna change the pups, but they're alright. Not the best, but better than epiphone stock stuff.

As for the actual body, heavy, chunky, good stuff. I doubt it compares to a gibby, but it's pretty ****ing amazing. Especially cause I only paid 200 $ for it.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Quote by PanHead

you probally just got a lemon, the reason the quality of agile is better is because they don't do as much mass production as gibson and have you seen the quality control of gibson latley?
Quote by thisismyacc
you probally just got a lemon, the reason the quality of agile is better is because they don't do as much mass production as gibson and have you seen the quality control of gibson latley?

Make that 2 lemons from rondo, agile al3000 and sx mockingbird. Enought to tell me that they're crap.
Quote by CrushedCan
Gonna have to call you out on this one. I own an AL-2000, one of the lower end models, and the frets are amazingly smooth and well cut. I've played other lower end models with rough frets, ****ty frets, and just plain wrong frets, but these are amazing.

I'm not a big enthusiast on the electronics, the pup selector was broken from start, but they sent me a free replacement. I'm gonna change the pups, but they're alright. Not the best, but better than epiphone stock stuff.

As for the actual body, heavy, chunky, good stuff. I doubt it compares to a gibby, but it's pretty ****ing amazing. Especially cause I only paid 200 $ for it.

Do you mean you've played other Agiles the same as yours and they've been bad, or do you just mean other similarly-prices guitars? If it's the former, then I guess you're just lucky. As for Epiphones pickups, I don't know. The one in mine are OK, they've never given me any trouble, and sound like PAFs. If your guitar really is that good, then, well then I congratulate you :-)

Quote by thisismyacc

Lol, Agile don't do as much mass-production as Gibson? You're saying a $200 guitar doesn't come from some cheap overseas factory where they make thousands of guitars a day, versus Gibsons hundreds a day? No-one's going to argue that Gibson's quality control is nowhere near as good as it should be, but you're mad if you believe a $200 guitar is less mass-produced than a £2000 one.
I have an Agile AL-2000 - awesome LP copy. I had real Gibson's (2 LP's years ago WHEN THEY WERE TRULY CUSTOM) and this AL model is sweet as can be - mine is 100% stock. I just got one of Rondo's SX SST57 Strats too - another winner. If your HOOKED on the headstock and name so be it but don't bad mouth Agiles (or SX's) - there every bit as good as MOST of all the copies out there costing a lot more $$$ (Epiphone Included as it's JUST A COPY TOO). I personally would never again pay for just a name.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Alright. I've had it. I must give my 2 cents.
I have owned and played Gibson and Epiphone les pauls throughout my 20 years of playing. I also used to hang out at the local guitar shop everyday after classes for years playing various LP's because I am just fascinated by them. I owned a 78' Gibson LP custom, and an Epiphone Elitist Goldtop.
I loved the custom, nothing could compare to that one. It had the flat frets on it. If I still had it, I wouldn't even look at another guitar, but sadly it broke in half in a drunken stupor one night.
So anyway....
I just recently purchased an Agile al-3000, and I can honestly that if people wouldn't get so hung up on what the headstock says Gibson would be in trouble. The al-3000 are built around the Gibson LP custom specs, and mine is every bit as good as the custom I used to have. I couldn't be happier I only spent 380 on it. I'd put it up against ANY Gibson with confidence. I was skeptical, myself, but after hearing so many good things about Agile, I decided to take a big chance, and I'll never give Gibson any of my money, again. My Agile is just as good, and better, that any Gibson. Dont get me wrong...I love Les Pauls and I know Les Pauls when I play them. If I was blindfolded playing the Agile, I would mistake it for a Gibson.
And as for the stock pickups....Alinco V....same thing that the Burstbuckers are made of. And yes the Agile sounds just like a Les Paul should. Also the resonance and the sustain are just incredible. I held a note for at least 5 minutes with mine, and it only stopped when I deadened the note. Agile makes its guitars out of very high quality parts. I once owned a Gibson SG and it was a piece of crap. Could have been a lemon, but it wouldnt stay in tune at all. The agile doesnt have that problem.
I dont know what all of you think a cheap guitar is, but a lot of you obviously dont remember Harmonys. Talk about plywood!!! Nowadays, they dont really make bad guitars, anymore, people are just so damned snobby when it comes to guitars these days.
Go with Agile, you WONT be dissapointed.
I had a AL3100 slim neck briefly. I returned it to Rondo, as the weight made it balance poorly on my knee.

Other than that, a great guitar for the money. It was as pretty as any of the Gibsons I looked at in GC. Finished perfect. Played well and sounded as good as the all mahogany Gibsons I have played.

I think the nut is not a real graphite one, and the fret wire may be cheap.
dude i've never heard of agile i would stay away from brands like that until u come face to face with 1 o there guitars
Quote by Martin Scott
Lol, Agile don't do as much mass-production as Gibson? You're saying a $200 guitar doesn't come from some cheap overseas factory where they make thousands of guitars a day, versus Gibsons hundreds a day? No-one's going to argue that Gibson's quality control is nowhere near as good as it should be, but you're mad if you believe a $200 guitar is less mass-produced than a £2000 one.

Supply and demand. Gibson has a ton of people who are willing to pay whatever just to get the name on the head stock, Agile has a ton of people who won't touch them because of the name on the headstock. With this Gibson can charge whatever they want and people will always buy until they finally get tired of the crap quality control and stop paying. Agile has no reason to mass produce when no one wants to buy their guitars cuz they're not a recognized name.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by sandman-105
dude i've never heard of agile i would stay away from brands like that until u come face to face with 1 o there guitars

thus solidifying my point.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.