Page 1 of 2
exactly how loud is a 120 watt tube amp?
i will have a 6505+ which is 120, i just wana know a comparioson to how loud it can go.
eg train, bus, semi?

just for curiosities sake.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Deafening volumes?

It's too loud, and that's probably half of what makes it great.

Congratulations on the purchase though
exactly. haha.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Well, let's put it this way...

My Mark IV is 85W and with the volume on 7, it cracked the mirror behind it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Enough to make a person go deaf
Loud enough to blow your brains away literally.

Are you kidding?, 120 watts tubes? It's not gonna be for bedroom jammin' hey?
I've never put my 5150 past 4 and that was with a agressive drummer. It's loud enough.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
The 100 watt lead amps were made so places like madison square gardens could be played without a PA system for the guitars. So unless you play outside in a big field or in a huge auditorium alot then you will never get to turn it up alot. At those volumes you would damage your hearing very fast. And believe me you dont want permanant ringing in the ears. its why many pros are going with smaller 50 watt amps now.
Really really really loud. Like laying on a runway and having a 747 just miss you as it lands. Probably louder actually.
I have a 6505 head and believe me it is way louder then you will ever need. My drummer is very aggressive and I can easily get above him with the post gain at 4.
Outside and dimed....you could probably take down small planes
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
well IMO it's not quite loud enough, but it will usually be ok for gigs and stuff.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Jesus...how loud do you need??
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
High wattage amps are made to have a massive amount of head room. Which is needed for clean playing and Metal.

Heres a perfect example of a 120 watt head used in two different manners.

Gojira- 5150 (Metal)
Volume 3

Ted Nugent- 5150 (Rock)
Volume 10

So why the difference.... Ted and most other rock guys love power tube saturation vs Gojira and other metal guys dont want power tube saturation to keep there sound tight heavy and fast.

And I have tested the thoery many times with my amp its a 120 watts with a 60 watt switch. I always keep it at 120 because the 60 watt option makes things to creamy. Now for blues or rock its great... But metal is all preamp distortion, now there are a few amps mainly mesa's that like a little power tube saturation. But for 5150/6505 and most other metal amps that is not the case...

Another example take the heaviest amp on the planet right now. The Diezel Herbert can anyone guess the wattage? 180 watts, the thing is a headroom giant, incredible cleans and the gain stages are insane...

Also 50 watts to 100 watts is only a addition of 3db so its not really as loud as you think....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by Bloodshed
Jesus...how loud do you need??

my philosophy is that if the audiences' ears aren't bleed by the time you're done play then you're doing it wrong.

but in all seriousness IbanezPsycho is pretty much right on the mark with this one.

Last.fm
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

and Kid_Thorazine - what are you using and why do you say 120w tube amp is not loud enough?

:

I was joking, read my second post.

Last.fm
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 IbanezPsycho for detail.

Is this why some extreme metal bands prefer solid state?

and Kid_Thorazine - what are you using and why do you say 120w tube amp is not loud enough?

:

Correct, SS amps stay tight no matter how much you crank them so there is no issue of power tube saturation there. Also SS and Tube amps do share a common ground in a sense when it comes to metal. Tube amps have high wattage to combat power tube saturation and SS amps have high wattage to combat clipping. Which is why you see so many 200-300+ wattage SS amps designed for metal.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 6, 2008,
My 130 watt tube amp blows small dogs away with the volume at 3.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
lol, I was about to say...but yeah, the clean headroom is the reason
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
slightly off topic;

i took the 2 outer power tubes out of my 6505+ this brings it down to 60watts, thus lowering the headroom and cutting feedback a bit - something to think about if you mostly play overdriven or high gain stuff.

doesn't half the volume though, only brings it down a few dbs.
Quote by haz_uk
slightly off topic;

i took the 2 outer power tubes out of my 6505+ this brings it down to 60watts, thus lowering the headroom and cutting feedback a bit - something to think about if you mostly play overdriven or high gain stuff.

doesn't half the volume though, only brings it down a few dbs.

I did this with my peavey classic 50.
Really brought it to life.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
too fucking loud
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
i have a fairly large back yard, i would say, about 50 yards length wise. i own a tripple X, also 120 watts tube. i placed the amp on the back porch, stood about 20 yards from the amp and played with the volume maxed out. i scooted back another ten yards. it still hurt. stood behind a tree, not much help.

i've never used the amps volume above a third of the way up in any setting where i wasn't seeing how loud it was. even with a band.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by MortifiedLizard

lmfao!

Although it's probably true..
Quote by gpderek09
i have a fairly large back yard, i would say, about 50 yards length wise. i own a tripple X, also 120 watts tube. i placed the amp on the back porch, stood about 20 yards from the amp and played with the volume maxed out. i scooted back another ten yards. it still hurt. stood behind a tree, not much help.

i've never used the amps volume above a third of the way up in any setting where i wasn't seeing how loud it was. even with a band.

Wow...a 90' guitar cable? Was it a custom order?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^i think he just left the guitar down, not actually having a long patch chord. haha
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Maybe he plays the amp acoustically..... Sorry had to throw that in there lol

lol, good one.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Wireless system FTW.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Wireless system FTW.

Yeah, I actually just now just realized, "Duh!". *smacks self in head*
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard

hehe
funny
But still: isnt that a typo?
I mean, you cant devide 130 by 6 nor by 4. So how can you have a tube amp that has 130W, knowing that you always have an even number of tubes and that for 100W or more you need 4 or 6 tubes?
Lets keep it by a typo?

On the subject: Its loud as hell. But that shouldnt stop you from buying it. You buy an amp because you like its sound, not because you like its loudness.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
hehe
funny
But still: isnt that a typo?
I mean, you cant devide 130 by 6 nor by 4. So how can you have a tube amp that has 130W, knowing that you always have an even number of tubes and that for 100W or more you need 4 or 6 tubes?
Lets keep it by a typo?

On the subject: Its loud as hell. But that shouldnt stop you from buying it. You buy an amp because you like its sound, not because you like its loudness.

the ac30 is 33 watts so....
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
I recently spent a lot of time playing the 6505+ and the ValveKing heads back to back to see which one I wanted. Ended up going with the 6505+ and I DID crank them both all the way up to hear the differences in how they handled the big volumes. Surprisingly, the 6505+ volume difference between about 6 or 7 and 10 isn't that big, BUT you'll really never need to go louder than maybe 3 1/2 to 4. I've had it set to 5 at shows, but always end up turning it down because it just overpowers everything else at those volumes. You won't need a louder amp than that.

What actually sucks about it is that like every other high wattage tube head, it just doesn't sound that great at really low volumes (like room practicing volumes). You need to get it into the 2 1/2 to 3 range before it starts sounding like it's supposed to. Most big league heads are like that, though.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

linked a handful together with a couple pedals. they were off, except the noise suppressor, but you get the idea.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
120 Watts will make you and everyone in your zip code sh!t their pants on first note played.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by gpderek09
linked a handful together with a couple pedals. they were off, except the noise suppressor, but you get the idea.

ah yeah that works too, ill vet you had some signal loss with that though.

Last.fm
Quote by gpderek09

hahaha, that would've made an EPIC picture haha
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Page 1 of 2